Go to footer

Lucky Start to 2019

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Lucky Start to 2019

Postby mollym » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:44 pm

I usually stop by thrift shops to check for dolls when I am out and can spare the time. Today was a lucky day. These aren't my favorite head sculpts by far, but the articulated bodies are fun! These girls came home with me. I'm unsure to open the boxes, keep them in the boxes or try to find somewhere to trade them for an articulated Ken or someone I've been wanting to add to the doll collection. My favorite things is the fur on glam and the cupcake purse held by sweetie.
Man dolls.... because baby dolls come from somewhere. ;)
mollym
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Re: Lucky Start to 2019

Postby DollyKim » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:06 pm

I have a bunch of those bodies that I put other heads on. Just use a bit of heat if you want and pull gently not to break the neck plug.

Is there a particular Ken body you're looking for?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby maywong » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:50 pm

I do the same thing. I just put on a different head on my jointed bodies. I use the hot water method to get the heads off.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby mollym » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Thanks! I might just do that, change the heads. I still need to think on it. I'm having fun enough just looking at them. I bought the Kens from the same line at the time they were in stores for my son. Back then, I couldn't allow myself to enjoy them like I do now (I really wanted to though!). IMHO, this was the last run that Mattel made with a very versatile, widely-available and well-made budget doll. The clothing and accessories are much nicer than what is packaged in dolls of the same price range currently. However, the 2016 launch of the various vinyl colors, hair colors, face sculpts and body types occupied the brand for a long while. I'm a huge fan of the curvy Fashionistas and have even bought some for myself and opened a couple just to play with! My boyfriend gifted me the curvy yoga girl for Christmas and I love her! It seems they've made huge strides with the various shaped articulated bodies, but Ken has been left behind since besides a few special collector-oriented runs. I just refuse to spend much money on mass-produced dolls since the core of my collection takes up so much of my budget. The different body shapes for Ken is nice, but I miss him having rooted hair and an articulated body.

So, I would love to have the Kens from the 09 Fashionista line and I keep my eyes open for undamaged ones. Naked is okay, but I don't have the ability to re-root or restore at this time. There were two, my son owned them both and I believe one has survived and he treasures his Ken dudes (he's a teen and I still buy him Kens he likes). I'm also considering selling a BJD so I can buy Barbie Basics Ken series 2 model 15. I have been kicking myself for YEARS not buying one for myself from the shelves, my son's did not survive his childhood. He's my favorite face sculpt of all time. My girls are all demanding boyfriends, so I'm prowling thrift shops and online auctions for articulated Kens and rooted hair Kens. Sometimes I find Barbies I can't pass up in the process. :D

Question: What is the safest way to heat the necks to remove heads? I'd hate to melt hair trying.
mollym

Postby DollyKim » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:40 am

Is 2009 Ken the one with the wrists?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby maywong » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 pm

I use the hot water method. You can also use a heating pad. You can also use a hairdryer and screw drive and pry it gently off the prongs.

If you use the hot water method. You just put a cup water in in the microwave for about a minute. You don't want it to boil. If you think you have it too hot just add some cold water.
Next, if you don't want to mess up the hair. You can put a plastic bag over the doll's head and secure with rubber bands, or use plastic wrap and wrap it around the head.
If you don't care about the hair style you just turn the doll upside down and put the head in the cup of water. Leave in for about a minute. You want the head to get very soft so it is easy to pull off. This way you won't damage the head, break the neck or break off the thing that holds the head on. After I get the head off I cut the prongs off. This way if you need to take the head off for any reason it is easy to do. They only have the prong on either side so kids can'y pull the head off by accident.
I have close to 100 Barbie/Ken dolls that I have rebodied them onto jointed bodies. Here are some links to help you out.

http://roxannesdolls.blogspot.com/searc ... %20removal

http://dollycare.blogspot.com/2010/10/r ... -head.html

http://chrissyscreativecorner.blogspot. ... -head.html
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby mollym » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:55 am

I'm so greatful for everyone's input! Thank you! It's fun having a renewed interest in Barbie. She and I go way back.... lol.

DollyKim, the 2009 Kens from the Fashionista line had jointed elbows and knees. I checked the one survivor my son has. He still has Ryan intact, he has brown hair. The other was a blond fellow. I believe there were 3 versions of each guy, with different outfits and the hair and faceup varied slightly. The guy he still has looks pretty rough. I'm tempted to kidnap his crew and clean them up, but he's likely to be upset if I sneak up there and mess around too much. He had a great time with his Kens when he was smaller, they parachuted out of windows, fought zombies and battled the dog on multiple occasions.

maywong, oh, thank you! I saw a few videos, and they made me nervous. I think I will use a 'junk Barbie' that's in a lot I purchased from a charity auction and test the bag-in-water method. I will likely use an orange stick for the prying, as I'll use wood to do mean things to vinyl, but I'm afraid metal would puncture the material. That will be a fun trial and certainly open some doors for me. I've done some things with vinyl dolls before (nothing extreme) mostly reborn and play dolls. I've had so much fun working on my BJDs, that it will be neat to try some similar customization on some smaller vinyl friends. I can get Barbies for about $1 each easily, so it's always easy to get one and try some things before making a decision on how to transform these girls. I'll try to get things organized and share some more photos soon.
mollym

Postby maywong » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:17 pm

BTW let the head soak in the hot water for a minute or more.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale