Go to footer

The Return of Sindy

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

The Return of Sindy

Postby werepuppy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:30 pm

First off, to be very fair, I should acknowledge the attempts made by Tonner for the 50th anniversary - even if they came out a year late - and the 18" version produced by Tesco - that didn't seem very much like Sindy at all. That being said, the Tonner versions weren't exactly easy to get hold of in the UK, which is a bit confusing when you consider that the UK would likely be the primary market for reproductions of the Pedigree face Sindy. Anyway...

As revealed at Dollycon UK 2019, the company Kid Kreations are looking at having a try at bringing back Sindy themselves! Prototypes shown at the con showed the doll to have the classic Pedigree styled face, and 60's inspired outfits. It's been said that the dolls will apparently have articulated bodies. Pedigree Sindy used Active Limb - bendy arms and click legs - back in the day, so it will be interested to see what a new articulated body will look like from them - will it take hints from Mattel's popular Made to Move bodies? 

There's no real release date yet, but there's been a suggestion that we could start to see these dolls as early as Feb 2020, with a proposed price point of £80 (okay, bit much) with each doll being in an edition of 4,000 pieces. They're also apparently doing the old school thing where if you collect all six dolls, you can send off the box tokens and get a solid silver Sindy charm bracelet. 

So what do we think? Personally, I'm actually kind of excited? Even though I'll likely probably only be able to pick one up due to the high price point, it will be nice to see some new Sindys that actually look like her. With any luck, the interest in these ones could lead to her being released at more affordable price points and becoming a regular of the toy sections again. Anyone got any thoughts themselves?

Kids Kreations Sindy Doll: Weekender

Sources: Babi a FiJenjoy's All Dolled Up / ShimmyShim / DollsDollsDolls
werepuppy
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: The Return of Sindy

Postby DollyKim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:37 pm

~Has original and some clone Sindy dolls somewhere~

It will definitely be nice to see the original face and general look. I've been turned off from other reissues because they strayed away too far from the original look. I agree in wanting an affordable one or one made in larger numbers. Don't mind paying a decent price for a decent doll.

And on the personal side a black haired one would make a great Mary Poole.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby davidd » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:56 pm

werepuppy wrote:Anyone got any thoughts themselves?

:lol: You should have known better than to ask! ;)

First off, £80 UK is currently about $98 USD, so this definitely elevates the proposed New Sindy from a Barbie-type playline doll to something more akin to an Integrity Toys collector item. Rather than being any sort of prelude to a re-introduction of playline Sindy, this looks to me like an attempt by Kid Kreations to tap in to the Baby Boomer / Gen X nostalgia market.

MGAE's recent attempt to re-introduce classic-style Bratz dolls as "collector priced" Amazon exclusives seems to have met with limited success. Sadly, I do not foresee a significantly better result for Sindy.

The early Baby Boomer generation were enthusiastic toy collectors for at least a couple of decades, driving up prices on original 1950s-1970s toys and providing a market for a few re-introductions and reproductions. Today, as a look at secondary market prices on eBay reveals, those collectors have reached an age where they're dying off... err, I mean where they are downsizing their collections. Prices on vintage toys are on the decline for anything other than the most pristine mint-in-box examples, and re-issues and reproductions are selling for far less than their original purchase price.

The late-Boomers and Gen-Xers were not as collection-oriented as the early- and mid-Boomer generation. Gen-Y were the first of the fully digital generations, with the traditional toy and doll markets nosediving as a result. By the time Gen-Y was of the toy-buying age, mid-1980s to late-1990s, kids were transitioning to video games from traditional toys, movie and TV franchise toys were absorbing what market share remained in the non-digital market, and Sindy was well past her prime, with the brand changing ownership, undergoing various re-designs, and being dropped by major retailers.

Tonner Dolls tried to cash in on Sindy nostalgia five or six years ago with "collectors edition" Sindy dolls retailing in the same price range as this proposed Kidz Kreations release. Not only did the Sindy doll not catch on, but Tonner Dolls itself ended up closing their doors. I would not attribute the end of Tonner to the Sindy doll alone, but rather, to a lack of a significant market for collector-priced dolls, and in particular for "nostalgia" themed dolls.

(Around this time, Tonner also attempted to revive the 1960s Captain Action line with a Lady Action doll, and brought out the Addams Family influenced Maudlynne Macabre, neither of which proved to be particularly popular ((other than Maudsie being probably my single favorite figure in my collection, but I am an a-typical collector, I'm afraid)). The failure of the New Bratz playline dolls and the Collector Bratz special edition dolls over the past few years further illustrates a lack of demand for "nostalgia" releases.)

If the photo you've found is an accurate indication, the face sculpt of the proposed New Sindy is an accurate recreation of the original 1960s Pedigree version, before Hasbro "Barbie-fied" her. It appears, however, that the body is made of a different material than the face, possibly a hard plastic, and the neck joint is extremely unattractive. The wrist joints, too, look coarse and unfinished. The outfits, in contrast to the bodies, appear to be of high quality. (The other dolls in the proposed range can be seen in the Jenjoy's All Dolled Up post to which you linked). Of course, these are prototype dolls, so the final production versions may differ in materials and quality.

While Sindy dolls were not widely distributed or popular in the U.S. (and then, mostly the later Barbie-inspired versions), I have read a fair bit about them over the past few years, inspired by the photos and the entertaining captions posted by CooperSky, one of my Flickr contacts. CooperSky introduced the world... or, the Flickr world... well, okay, the small niche community of her Flickr followers... to the hard driving, harder drinking wild woman of the road, Daredevil Sindy (known to her [s]handful of[/s] legions of fans as simply DDS).

A major appeal of the Sindy line to the collectors who still bother to collect Sindy dolls appears to be the incredible range of detailed costumes and accessory playsets that were available. Will a re-introduced, limited edition, high-priced collector version of Sindy have much of an appeal without the playsets and costume options? As CooperSky's Flickr photos illustrate, many adult Sindy fans still like to play with their dolls. I don't know how much appeal there will be to playing with £80/$100 dolls.

In summation:

1. High price for what the doll appears to be.
2. Primary appeal is to a nostalgia-driven market demographic that is in steep decline.
3. Poor performance history for previous attempts to tap in to the 1960s-1990s nostalgia market.
4. "Tainted" reputation for Sindy dolls by decades of redesigns.
5. Younger generations have less interest in collecting things.
6. Limited "play value" without additional costume packs or accessory playsets.

I would love to see Sindy resurrected as a playline doll made as closely as possible to the mid-1960s originals and sold at playline prices, but I do not think there would be much appeal to kids unless there were a "major studio" media tie-in with a motion picture franchise, [s]television[/s] a Netflix series, webisodes, and video games. The Pedigree Sindy era was so long ago that parents and even most grandparents of toy-age children are likely not familiar with the doll, or at least, not familiar with the original Pedigree version. Re-introducing Sindy to the toy market would in essence require a totally brand new introduction as though she were a new, original product. (We can see through the poor roll-out of the Wild Hearts Crew line here in the States how difficult a new product launch can be, even for a major company like Mattel.) 

The adult collector market is not much different than the potential playline kids' market. The Sindy Generation is not buying collector dolls and figurines anymore. The collector doll and figurine buying generation is largely unfamiliar with Pedigree-era Sindy, and are buying superhero movie tie-in figures modeled with uncanny realism on present day film and television actors. Is there a market among present-day collectors for a doll who looks like a cartoonish toy version of Twiggy or Jean Shrimpton or Felicity Kendal? (Who th' heck?)

Obviously, I am not optimistic about the success of the Kids Kreations Sindy release.

But on a more positive note, I am almost invariably wrong about these things.
Last edited by davidd on Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Janeway » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:18 pm

I like these dolls. I may add some of them to my collection.
Janeway
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:07 am

Before you commit to what ever they cost now, I did a vintage haul from an estate sale for less than that, look around the TLC and barbie clone section of online auction sites. There could be originals out there for less than that.

If it's just the face and general look there's an army of adorable clones out there. Even those cheap made for crochet dresses dolls have it. Several of the floating heads I got in TLC batches for reroots have a Sindy look and it wouldn't take much to pop them on to a jointed body we're more accustomed to.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby davidd » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:49 am

The "Sindy Reboot" happened. The first wave of "collector priced" dolls proved popular, and Kid Kreations moved forward with a "playline" version that hit the shops in the UK only... and disappeared within a year. While a "collector fan base" survives, there simply wasn't enough market among the general toy-buying public to make continuing the line feasible.

New Sindy was not distributed in the U.S.

"I told you not to mess with that stupid board!"
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale