Go to footer

Barbie head mold confusion-headache, and question...

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Barbie head mold confusion-headache, and question...

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Ok, I know my eyesight has gone off these last few years, but... what's the difference between the 2013 Millie head mold and the 2014 New Teresa/Bambi head mold other than the date on the back?

I have an OOAK project pending that I wanted a 2014 Teresa head mold for (I liked the head on one of the made to moves I have, but wanted a lighter skin tone) I bought a fashionista that I was almost certain was the right head mold, but it's 2013 Millie. And even putting them side by side I can't spot the difference... but now I'm reluctant to start on the OOAK despite that because there HAS to be a difference, right? Does anyone know?

And I can't just use the Millie instead because the OOAK project involves making a doll that has two heads to swap for a makeup/costume and no-makeup/out-of-costume look for the character, and I already started OOAKing a 2014 Teresa head and have gotten used to that being the character (she's been sitting around waiting on the rest of the supplies for over a year now), and I can't imagine starting over with two 2013 Millie heads. And right now it's tempting to use the Teresa for the makeup head and the Millie for the plainclothes head... except I'll know they Don't Match, even if I can't spot WHY they don't.

Yes, this is the kind of stuff I have stupid meltdowns over. Help?
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Barbie head mold confusion-headache, and question...

Postby DollyKim » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:14 am

Millie's eyes look more round and more excited. The new Theresa is referred to as Bambi if that helps figure out which models.

Do a Google Images search for "bambi mold barbie".
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kukolka » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:42 pm

New Teresa/Bambi has a wider and straighter nose bridge than Millie.
Kukolka
i see dead dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 pm

DollyKim wrote:Millie's eyes look more round and more excited. The new Theresa is referred to as Bambi if that helps figure out which models.

Do a Google Images search for "bambi mold barbie".

Thanks. I knew there had to be something... tho I really have to pull out a magnifying glass to tell! Meh, if the skin tone was the other way around, I wouldn't mind the in-makeup head just having a more excited expression, but Duela's generally more subdued when not in her clown getup. But back to hunting.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby WhiteDove01s » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Kukolka wrote:New Teresa/Bambi has a wider and straighter nose bridge than Millie.

Also, thanks. Very much. See, this is the kind of thing that would have irritated me if I noticed it later, because I definitely want the heads to look like the same character. I've got one doll I'm using "mismatched" head molds on to do an expression change, but the heads both look enough like the character that the main difference is the grin (especially once the grinning one is all made up). But something like that would keep looking "off" to me even if I couldn't spot why. Thanks again, I really like knowing details like this.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:26 am

What skin tone are you looking for?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby maywong » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:45 am

maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:31 pm

DollyKim wrote:What skin tone are you looking for?

I was aiming for Neutra or a little lighter. See, I got the MTM one with that head and got used to that doll being Duela, but she was just a shade too tan.. like I had the "beach version". Turns out I had a fashionista with the right head stuffed away after all that turned up while I was reorganizing (the one with the blond bob that feels like they soaked it in glue as a styling agent. I actually got her for a different character but it didn't work out and another was a better match. I probably shoved her to the back of my "OOAK supplies boxes" to avoid touching the hair. I nearly forgot her until I was going through the clothes and went "Wait, I have the outfit to that one that was on the list of ones with the right head mold, so where's the doll?"). So that's going to work out, I think. Got a neutra MTM body, just need to change the eye color, do some wigs...

I've been a spazzy mess ever since I finally got enough desk space to maybe start on my OOAKing backlog...
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am

Glad you found one. Sounds like the same one in that mold I have.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby WhiteDove01s » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:50 pm

Hopefully I'll remember to do pics and such to share when I get down to the projects. I don't know about video - I don't work fast enough for that and YouTube still makes me uncomfortable over the Coppa thing. But I definitely want to start sharing pics and blogging this stuff.

The backlog is currently a pile of bodies on half the new deskspace. I've been doing a lot of reorganizing, including the dolls, trying to make sure there's space for all the fandoms (I have Harry Potter dolls, Star Wars, Star Trek, Jem, Spectra (the poseable barbies with chromed bodies), LIV, Rose Petal Place, some older World Of Love dolls, a few action 12" action figure guys, a few Bratz, and several boxes of Barbie "OOAKing Materials" ranging from neat Fashionistas that I probably won't change and just need to add a character to (the Boho one I got a while back, she is so cute! And the AA albino fashionista.) to the Stepford Smilers (what I always called the Superstar and very similar barbie faces before I started trying to learn the actual names). One of the upcoming OOAK projects actually makes use of one of those heads for a character where the disturbed-looking grin will be an asset. XD

I'm also trying to get over my "You'll ruin it" hangup. That's basically where I get a doll for $10 when its new for the OOAK box and then a year or two later it sells for $50 and I'm afraid to use it for what I bought it for because I'll "never get another one" and it's now "collectible". Which I logically know is dumb, because in those cases I got them TO OOAK and don't really like them as they are... if anything it's unfair to the doll to leave them hanging in limbo like that. Which is the case with the petite Bambi-headed girl now, and some of the Hunger Games guys I got for poseable bodies and nice head molds. To try to force myself past this I also got myself a semi-ruined (she has a marker stain on one cheek) vintage Fashion Queen barbie head. She's now on a poseable body and I am going to make myself OOAK her to a golden blonde (because I'm used to the Barbie character being blonde). (For a late birthday present I also got a vintage Midge and Alan in only-slightly-chewed condition and have started a set of "historic Barbie/body types and reference" shelf-boxes)

It's one of the reasons I'm always happy to get "pre-ruined" dolls, like the monster high ghost (Spectra Vondergeist or something, I think?) who I got with a duck-tape bathing suit and a bad buzz cut. She's in the pending OOAKs to end up a silvery-monochrome ghost ballerina (an interpretation of the Ghost Dancer from Ravenloft's Nightmare Realm to be specific XD)

But I also know the "you'll ruin it" thing is a hangup that holds me back and isn't really helping artistically or financially in any way and I need to do my projects and not worry about price changes of the supplies after I bought them as supplies. (And it doesn't just affect OOAKing, it's a mental block that gets in my way in all kinds of art from drawing to writing, even tho the latter doesn't involve using supplies I get scared I'll make a mistake and screw up the story in a way I can't fix. I actually made an offline personal wiki to track info for my Mosaic reality so I don't forget anything important. Then I had a drive crash and have spent two years not writing while I rebuild the darned thing from exported text files.) So that's kind of an issue I'm working on this year along with all the reorganization.
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale