Go to footer

Rebodying kens with "plug" necks?

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Re: Rebodying kens with "plug" necks?

Postby DollyKim » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:42 am

The blog might be Oak23, he has an army of Allan dolls. Also goes by the name dolljunk/Doll Junk.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby WhiteDove01s » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 pm

DollyKim wrote:The blog might be Oak23, he has an army of Allan dolls. Also goes by the name dolljunk/Doll Junk.

! Thanks! It actually wasn't there, but in the process of googling up a link to that Tumblr blog (which is still interesting), I found it!

https://dolldirt.tumblr.com/post/110560 ... -useful-to

And now I remember the other reason (besides labelling electrical cords/plugs) that I was saving bread tags.
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Kattriella » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:39 pm

Ooh! That looks like it will work to fix one of my dolls if his head ever falls off again!
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby WhiteDove01s » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:06 am

Kattriella wrote:Ooh! That looks like it will work to fix one of my dolls if his head ever falls off again!

Yes, and it also looks like a method where I'll be able to get the head back off the doll if I need to, something that can happen around here for multiple reasons. I wonder if a piece of craft foam cut to pattern would work as well as the bread tag or if the piece of plastic used has to be more stiff than that. Could also try cutting some from milkjugs... see what makes the best attachment while still allowing for removal without stressing the neck peg. :)
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:35 am

I just had success with laying a Barbie over a mug of boiled water and spooned the water over the joint to soften her head, didn't want to get her hair wet.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby maywong » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 am

You can also put the doll's head in a plastic bag before you dip it in hot water so you don't get the hair wet.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Kattriella » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:43 pm

WhiteDove01s wrote:
Kattriella wrote:Ooh! That looks like it will work to fix one of my dolls if his head ever falls off again!

Yes, and it also looks like a method where I'll be able to get the head back off the doll if I need to, something that can happen around here for multiple reasons. I wonder if a piece of craft foam cut to pattern would work as well as the bread tag or if the piece of plastic used has to be more stiff than that. Could also try cutting some from milkjugs... see what makes the best attachment while still allowing for removal without stressing the neck peg. :)

Craft foam is what I used to fix Shailoh when I messed his neck hole up when I took his head off to reroot him. So far, it's held up just fine.

Now if I could just remember if I used E6000 or hot glue to stick it on. I really hope I wasn't stupid enough to use hot glue for a doll who HAS to have his head heated to remove it, but I probably was.
Last edited by Kattriella on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Studio 126 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:53 am

I have a number of Kenny-Joes made from that neck style.*

Cut Ken's knob off leaving a hole underneath. (It may go right on a Classic Collection GI Joe-style neck knob** without further modifications.)
You may have to widen the hole some. (If you make the hole too wide, there are ways to recover.)
CC Joe necks have further articulation at their base, so he won't be limited to move from side-to-side.

*See my album Kenny-Joes.
All of them except the Max Steel & Star Wars bodies.
**Other brands have CC Joe-compatible necks, like 21st Century Toys' Ultimate Soldier.
Studio 126
Dolly Pardon

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:06 pm

Putting old Ken heads on new body

Basically the "easiest" method I've come up with with attaching an old Ken head is cut off the neck and shape it like a new style neck. Then with a donor "new" Ken head I cut off the face and back of the head so it's this vinyl donut I can shove up into the old head. The remains of the new head holds up the old head and retains the articulation of the MTM neck without it being wobbly. it's kinda horrifying but works for me.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Studio 126 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:51 am

Creative.
Studio 126
Dolly Pardon

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale