Go to footer

Bodyswap question?

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Bodyswap question?

Postby nashira » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey, I was wondering other than the fashionista and other articulated mattel bodies... is there any others that barbie heads would look somewhat proportionate on? I'm guessing that, unfortunately that obitsu is out? (too petite?) I ask because even though I'm not keen on the series, I really don't mind the faces on the lady vamps from twilight they brought out but I think all the fashionista's I've seen are far too dark for vamp skin? (I also ask because I want to make some vamps of my own, but I can always use obitsu's for that if I want too, of course. xD)

...also how does one get modern barbie heads off without hurting them? I could never work it out quite right.

Thank you. :D (>.> I think this is the right place to put it. If it's not, sorry. :mrgreen: )
nashira
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Bodyswap question?

Postby KatyaR » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Modern playline Barbies' heads are best removed with heat.

Have a thin flat-bladed screwdriver, a nipper/button shank cutter (like this one and a hairdryer on hand.

Aim the hairdryer at the base of the head, where it meets the neck. You'll want to aim it at a couple of different spots around the neck opening, try about 20 seconds total to start. (Depending on the doll and the hairdryer) It does take a couple of heads to get a feel for when the vinyl is soft enough, so you may want to try another victim/subject or two first.

The connector in most modern Barbies' heads is some variation on an anchor.Image (Quick 'n' dirty illustration, sorry)

When the vinyl has softened a bit, squeeze the head so that you can slip the blade of the screwdriver between the head and the neck. Pull and pry until you get the neck opening pulled up over the base of the 'anchor'. Now slide the nippers in and snip the connector at the marked spot over the base of the anchor.
KatyaR
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby nashira » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Ooooh thank you! Must find spare victims. :lol: :lol:
nashira
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Well, Liv dolls are more petite than Fashionistas but they still look pretty damn good on the Liv bodies cuz they're still wider than Obitsus.

Unfortunately the Twilight Ladies (asides from Bella-bob and her shirtlessness) they only match Obitsu Pale so asides from air brushing or something they won't match any bodies, even the pale Livs.

Though if you're lucky, Volks 27cm bodies actually look okay with Barbie heads but Volks discontinued the 1/6th line so finding a body is kinda difficult. Also, I have issues against Volk's floppiness. But Volks does come in a white skintone that matches the pale girl vamps...

Otherwise, Integrity also has some really pale girls but they're uber expensive D:

Also, I'm no help with removing heads since I usually know how to bypass the safety feature and remove the head with no help. Though a warning, be gentle with the screwdriver as it can tear the vinyl and ruin the head from the inside... * speaks from experience*
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby nashira » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Hrm. ...ah well. Worst comes to worst they can keep their silly bodies. It's kind of a shame, though. I've never seen a single volks doll in person, but I know the bodies you mean and I was looking for some a year ago and couldn't find any that would ship here so not likely, but I'll keep an eye out anyway.

Wanting expensive dolly bodies is a reason to rob a band that a judge will understand, right? :roll: :lol: [coughcough] mayyyybe not.

And yes I'll be very careful... and maybe I should fix my poor one and only ken whose head has been half off for years while I'm at it... (tried to pull it off when I was a kid :D BEHEADINGS EVERYWHERE). Thank you! <3
nashira
i see dead dolliehs

Postby maywong » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Try this link about how to take off the heads.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Off-with-Their- ... 0000102175
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby embyquinn » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Actually, Megumi is a 12 Dancing Princesses Blair head on an Obitsu body, and she doesn't look that bad. Since the Twilight heads are actually a little smaller, proportionately, than the playline "bubble" heads, it shouldn't be too bad to put them on pale Obitsus.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby nashira » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Thank you Maywong. :D

Ooh, embyquinn, do you have a picture of her? But that's comforting at least. :D I don't mind if the head is a little big but a bobble head would be disconcerting. >.>
nashira
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Geektopian » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 pm

You can fit some Barbie heads on Obitsu bodies but it's occasionally a bit "hit or miss". The other issues are whether the head looks proportionate and how well does it match the Obitsu skin tones. I have a few such hybrids but not many good current photos since they never get any time in front of the camera.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Yeah, I stuck Volks arms into my Obitsu for the shoulder width...
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale