Go to footer

Mary & Matthew 11" Custom Dolls from Downton Abbey

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Mary & Matthew 11" Custom Dolls from Downton Abbey

Postby SetsunaKou » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:22 pm

For CHRISTmas 2020, my sister heard I'd wanted a set of Mary & Matthew Crawley dolls since I adore them in 'Downton Abbey'! I'd planned to create them in 1/4 scale but the seller sold my Matthew doll to another buyer (though already promised to me). I was pretty upset because I really wanted him but he's not sold separately so I can't easily find another one. I'll keep trying until I find him though! Someday!!!

So my sister, knowing how I wanted them in doll form, she set about to make a 1/6 Matthew and his outfit for me, and then we worked on Mary together. :)

We finished them a few weeks ago and I finally had a chance to take the photos!! I love how they came out! They are wearing their outfits from the 2011 Christmas Special where the couple finally get engaged! (One of my favorite episodes and also I love their look and outfits particularly.)

I hope you like them, too! We used a Prince Adam Live Action 11" Hasbro head (which was actually made in Dan Stevens' likeness, too) on a Made to Move body for Matthew. Mary is a Hasbro Belle Live Action 11" head on a Disney Store princess body.

Thanks for looking!!!

SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: Mary & Matthew 11" Custom Dolls from Downton Abbey

Postby Kattriella » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 pm

It might just be me, but the images are all broken on my end.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby maywong » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:38 am

The pics show up for me. They look great. What heads did you use?
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Kirahfaye » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:11 am

I am not familiar with the series, but the dolls look spectacular all on their own. Fantastic work, as always! :D

Perhaps we'll soon see Simon and Daphne dolls from Bridgerton? :D
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby SetsunaKou » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:08 am

Kattriella wrote:It might just be me, but the images are all broken on my end.

Hmm, I double checked and they are working/loading. Maybe because there are a lot of image links, it crashed your page? But thanks for letting me know either way! I hope you can view the pictures soon. :hugs:

maywong wrote:The pics show up for me. They look great. What heads did you use?
Thank you!!!! I'm so glad you like them so much!!! Do you know 'Downton'? :) I love it! Well, Season 1-3. After a certain horrible event happened, my sis and I refuse to watch it past that point! I've seen it all once but we like to think it didn't go on past the end of Season 3. :laughs:
Anyway, Matthew's head is Prince Adam 11" head and Mary's is the Belle 11" head, both from Hasbro Beauty and the Beast Live Action Celebration set. The bodies we replaced and I repainted their faces and changed their hair. (Resculpted Matthew and rerooted Mary) Thanks for asking!!!!!!

Kirahfaye wrote:I am not familiar with the series, but the dolls look spectacular all on their own. Fantastic work, as always! :D

Perhaps we'll soon see Simon and Daphne dolls from Bridgerton? :D

Thank you so much, KirahFaye-san!!!! :) I'm so honored and happy you like them despite not being familiar with the series!!!! You should watch it! (At least up to the end of Series 3---don't go past that point or you'll be super upset. :laughs:) It's a great show and very beautiful and engaging! It's my favorite live action series/drama ever. It's so funny, heartwrenching, and you'll get to be 'friends' with the characters! (Well, at least most of them. Some you will be horrified at their actions! :laughs:) Anyway, thanks again for liking them!!!!! :hugs:

PS Here are some pictures of them from the series wearing the outfits:
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby kenaiqueen » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:04 pm

Okay, this is me making high pitched dolphin noises! LOVE LOVE LOVE! I adore Downton and Matthew & Mary in particular. Oh, that dress....yummy! (I get why you hate beyond 3, but it was ALL soooooo good including the movie!) You have an awesome, talented and loving sis to do this for you. Thank you for sharing...made my day.
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.
kenaiqueen
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kattriella » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:39 am

I broke out my little used laptop to look at the pictures. They look lovely!
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:24 am

They look lovely. Was kinda curious about the movie.

Anyway, It loads properly if view from from my phone but on my PC I had to open individual images on a new tab to view. Would have to see if its a browser setting issue
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:29 pm

Those look great! You always do spectacular work.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby SetsunaKou » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 am

kenaiqueen wrote:Okay, this is me making high pitched dolphin noises! LOVE LOVE LOVE! I adore Downton and Matthew & Mary in particular. Oh, that dress....yummy! (I get why you hate beyond 3, but it was ALL soooooo good including the movie!) You have an awesome, talented and loving sis to do this for you. Thank you for sharing...made my day.

Oooh, thank you so much, kenaiqueen-san!!! :hugs deeply: A fellow DA fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought everyone would know the characters (the series was a worldwide phenomenon!) but it looks like we're kind of in the minority here on DS. :laughs: We have to spread the DA love, eh?

Anyway, I'm so glad you love them and yes, my sister is so incredible to have done this for me! In fact, she wasn't sure which outfits I wanted them in so she made Matthew TWO suits---this proposal outfit and his wedding tux! I felt so bad she worked so hard! She's just too good to me!

I do wish I'd remembered to take solo full pics of them though before I 'cased' them. You can't see Mary's bodice gems and design well. Oh well! :)

And.......I finally got the 1/4 Matthew doll!!!! :faints: So lucky to have got the BATB Platinum set at an incredible price! So now I'm starting planning the 'wedding' set of Mary & Matthew in 1/4 scale dolls!
It'll be a while though before we finish them because we're soooooooooooooooooo booked with commissions, and running behind a bit due the volume of them, so......customers come first and our own hobbies must wait!! :)
But I'm prepping! Got the doll for Mary and fixed her hair the other day. And bought the fabrics for her wedding dress...and shoes.

Other than that though......they're just waiting. I guess like the real M&M on the show! :laughs: It sure took a while for them to walk down that aisle!!!!!!!

Kattriella wrote:I broke out my little used laptop to look at the pictures. They look lovely!

Thanks, Kattriella-san! I'm so glad you like them!! THANK YOU!

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:They look lovely. Was kinda curious about the movie.

Anyway, It loads properly if view from from my phone but on my PC I had to open individual images on a new tab to view. Would have to see if its a browser setting issue

Thanks, Iwa-san!!!! :hugs: I saw the movie too and it was good but it's hard for me to watch and really enjoy past Series 3. (1-3 and their 'specials' are the best!) After that, Series 4 was good but too sad, and I didn't enjoy Mary's storyline at all in Series 5-7. Too sordid. But the other characters were all very well done the whole series!!!!! You should check it out!

zirconmermaid wrote:Those look great! You always do spectacular work.
Aww, thanks so much SO MUCH, Zircon-sama!!! That means so much to us! :hugs: God bless!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale