Go to footer

Your dolls jealous?

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Your dolls jealous?

Postby DollyKim » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:31 pm

If they knew what was in the bag they'd be jealous. :twisted:

Then comes the question as the motorhome isn't in "collector condition" between fading stickers and a couple of cracks in the frame should I put serious thought in to repainting it? Do I go psychedelic freakout Magic Bus or black and metallic space ship remembering all the time this is Barbie plastic and it's a beyotch to paint.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Your dolls jealous?

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:23 pm

*cries* You are just CRUEL showing me that....

Well, I've been planning to use it was a freak out magic bus. So yeah, make my dreams come true :D
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Any tips on what to paint it with? Everything I've tried on Barbie plastic so far has peeled off.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby embyquinn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:10 pm

There are base coats that can make acrylic paint stick better to plastic. Also, if you really aren't fussed about resale value, you can sand the whole surface with very fine sandpaper to give the plastic more "tooth" to hold on to paint.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Geektopian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:31 pm

DollyKim wrote:Any tips on what to paint it with? Everything I've tried on Barbie plastic so far has peeled off.

Kim, it's been well over 30 years since I've seen one of those in person, so I can't remember if they're made from polystyrene or polyethylene. If it's the latter, Krylon Fusion spray paint will work. It'll work on styrene too but styrene is easier to paint with just about any solvent-based enamel. Use Goo Gone to remove the decals, give it a thorough wipe down with rubbing alcohol and a warm soapy bath wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

When you're working on something this size, it's good idea to use rubber nitrile gloves and maybe even a respirator when cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. In the quantities used, you can end up with a contact buzz, as I discovered when I was refurbishing a 21st Century Toy helicopter a few years ago.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby Geektopian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:37 pm

BTW, if it were an accurate 1/6 scale tank, THEN they'd be jealous! :lol: The current motor pool here at Chez Mlatch is already busting at the seams and a lot has too be kept stored away and/or disassembled due to space restrictions.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby DollyKim » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:26 pm

The van its self is hard and stiff but thin, the seats and innards are a bit more flexible. It definitely needs a bath. Might make a good photo story get some dolls to do the work.

My previous attempt at repainting with Krylon Fusion had the paint flaking then peeling off without sticking. Any work would be done outside. If I laze out I can just take the Barbie pic off and put a Great Space Coaster logo on it, you're welcome for the ear worm.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:37 pm

*turns the monitor away from her dolls*

I still owe someone a bike. Curious to see what it looks like inside
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby KatyaR » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 pm

embyquinn wrote:There are base coats that can make acrylic paint stick better to plastic. Also, if you really aren't fussed about resale value, you can sand the whole surface with very fine sandpaper to give the plastic more "tooth" to hold on to paint.

I've used plain grey spray primer on dolly furniture, etc. before. It's certainly worth a try here.
KatyaR
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:05 pm

To remove stickers, I always heat them up with a hairdryer and slowly peel them off.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale