Go to footer

Magnets

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Magnets

Postby AlmySidaKay » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:24 am

I'm about to order my first Obitsu body (a 1/6th) and I just can't figure out if getting the one with the magnets in the feet is worth it, I've never actually seen an Obitsu body in person and would like to know if there is some sort of larger advantage to magnets in the feet, or not?
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Re: Magnets

Postby DollyKim » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 am

The magnets are fun. You can put your doll on anything metal and it will work as a stand, they can climb the refrigerator or launch an attack from the mail box. I have them on my 60 and when I sew for him he keeps track of loose pins. If you're not sure you can get regular feet and magnet shoes.

The only thing I've heard you need to watch for is how close they get to computers and other things that might be affected by magnets. Nothing serious.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 am

Definietly recommend getting the magnet feet already because even though it's a little more pricey they come with their own magnet stand and it's a lot cheaper then ending up buying magnet feet later on. The dolls have more freedom to pose with the magnet feet. I regret not buying the magnet's with my doll because she was falling over all the time and I was worried of damaging her. I bought the magnet feet and she stands a lot better on the metal doll stand then she did on her own. It will save you a lot of frustraition with balance.

Like DollyKim said they also come in handy with keeping sewing pins and needles nearby. No more worrying of dropping the needles onto the floor and having trouble retrieving them from the cracks in the floor.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby AlmySidaKay » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks so much for the replies! Magnets it is. :D
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby JanetT » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm

If it's a girl, DEFINITELY get the magnets. Their feet are so tiny, they don't balance as well on their own. Magnets make a world of difference. (Putting shoes on them negates most of the magnet effect, but helps them stand by putting more mass/weight on their feet).

The guys can stand without magnets, but magnets (and the strength of the Obitsu joints) allow them to pose in some really wild mid-action moves. Also the magnets on the guys' feet are large and strong enough so they can pose standing on vertical surfaces -- like your refrigerator door (if it's steel). Or steel casement window frames...

I've been looking to get a flat steel board (the kind you can both write on and use magnets on, from STAPLES or somewhere) to use as a floor under my doll stage. The magnets are definitely worth the extra expense!
This space for rent.....
JanetT
Dolly Pardon

Postby Geektopian » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm going to be the voice of dissent and opine that magnets are neat but not really necessary. It might depend on the footwear and poses you are using but I've had both magnetic and non-magnetic versions over the last eight years and I find both stand pretty well on their own.

Of course, if you have any doubts or concerns, by all means get the magnetic version.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby landwhale » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:41 pm

ahhaa, well there always needs to be a dissenter. I have to say I just got my magnetized obitsus yesterday and I LOVE them. It's only a few dollars more and it's nice not to have to work so hard to balance them.
Obitsu 27cm Meryl, Lilly, Rhea, Stacey, Llywen, Lara, Aili
BJD Peyton (Non-official sculpt Happy D.I.M.), Un-named FL Chicline Lishe
RS/BBB Li(Ziili), Wu(Ba'ul), Yao. DikaDoll Rena(Lael)
CH Bisou Pepe (Charlie), CH Junior Ren (Allen), Obitsu 60cm Gretel (Cerise)
http://invie-alamode.blogspot.com/
landwhale
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby skookum hime » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 pm

i never got magnetic feet with my obitsus. never really cared to spend the money on it. I haven't have any problems with out them and agree with David.
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Postby EAB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:24 pm

JanetT wrote:If it's a girl, DEFINITELY get the magnets. Their feet are so tiny, they don't balance as well on their own. Magnets make a world of difference. (Putting shoes on them negates most of the magnet effect, but helps them stand by putting more mass/weight on their feet).

The guys can stand without magnets, but magnets (and the strength of the Obitsu joints) allow them to pose in some really wild mid-action moves. Also the magnets on the guys' feet are large and strong enough so they can pose standing on vertical surfaces -- like your refrigerator door (if it's steel). Or steel casement window frames...

I've been looking to get a flat steel board (the kind you can both write on and use magnets on, from STAPLES or somewhere) to use as a floor under my doll stage. The magnets are definitely worth the extra expense!

Squeee! I LOVE this guy! TARZAAAN!
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale