Go to footer

Reroot or wig??

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Re: Reroot or wig?? (Urgent :x)

Postby Eseme » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Also, wigs can be bought in the US.

I've bought from Facets by Marcia, and some of her size 4 wigs are in super fun colors:

http://www.facetsbymarcia.com/wigshop4.htm

You can get long purple or short purple wigs.
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby maywong » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Rooting isn't that hard it's just time consuming. I use only the knot method which takes longer. "Dollyhair" sells wigs and hair.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:15 am

I prefer the knot method since making the rooting tool is usually more difficult for me and it always breaks too easily.

I used to take commissions but it screwed up my hand a lot so I had to stop (mostly cuz I was pumping them out every week or so lol) and I only occasionally do my own nowadays after a bad day of stress or whatever...

The quickest reroots for me is usually two days. One day to fill up the hairline and most of the crown, and the next day rerooting the rest and sticking in a part. But yeah, the longest was about... three years? :?

My only real tip for rerooting is to try to copy machine rooting patterns as close as possible. Keep the roots of hair thin and as close together as possible. Do not cut corners and use gigantic roots of hair as thick as possible as thick hair is almost as bad as thin hair. If your hand starts to hurt, take a break. Make sure every hour or so stand up and stretch as this is a very consuming process.

Or just get a wig haha.
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:38 am

I tried the knot method on my Malibu Skipper using the braided hair from the craft store, being cheap and bored. It worked well enough on the test patch but I had to stop because my needle was too short. I will agree with having some practice heads, maybe even some practice hair, and time.

I also have an elf ear head and she shares wigs with the other girls. Obitsu wigs run in funky colors, some sellers have lots of Monique wigs in the same style but different colors. Anything on the Monique site that starts with Mini comes in 3-4. Volks USA has wigs for their Dollfie and WTG line.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby maywong » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:29 am

I put in no more than 10 strands of hair in each hole. (plug) I also use a #7 embroidery needle and a pair of needle nose pliers.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Re: Reroot or wig??

Postby Biff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks for all the info, I have decided to get 2 unrooted heads and will be thinking about practicing on a head and/or...getting a wig. I've saved all the tutorials and info and will be thinking of giving this a shot as I do want to learn how at some point. I was only considering NDR first since I'm figuring it's not totally unreasonable if i'm getting an order there already.

Here's another question: For a head with the hair cut off, is it possible to remove the hair and "reroot" and just use the old holes and replace the hair? I'm wondering if that might be good for practice as the holes will be pre-defined so I can understand where to put the hair. I have an integrity head that is lacking hair on hand.
Biff
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Reroot or wig??

Postby maywong » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Biff wrote:Here's another question: For a head with the hair cut off, is it possible to remove the hair and "reroot" and just use the old holes and replace the hair? I'm wondering if that might be good for practice as the holes will be pre-defined so I can understand where to put the hair. I have an integrity head that is lacking hair on hand.

Yes, you can remove all the hair and use the same holes on an old head . It would make a good practice head for rerooting.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale