Go to footer

Help with finding a 1/6 male

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Help with finding a 1/6 male

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:19 am

Hello! I'm finally broken down and have decided to ask for help finding something. I've tried on my own but not too much luck. I'm in search of a 1/6 manly and very flexible male doll. Why you ask because I want to try my hand at making a Rinzler from Tron. I know nerdy, right?
The look I going for:
His face is blank and emotionless. He has dark brown hair. His body is slim with muscles. Skin tone on the light side.

Some of what I've looked at:
Triad Toy's Evolution (Evo) body: I like the body but they don't have a head that would work for me.
Obitsu Male Doll: I really don't like how the body looks, too slim, but I do like the heads they have.
Hot Toys Truetype Body - Caucasian Advanced TTM-16: Again like the body not the heads.

I'm looking under or around the $50 range. I'm fully open for subjections. Thanks in advance~!
Last edited by Gift_in_Edge on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: Help with finding a 1/6 male

Postby maywong » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:22 am

maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Geektopian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:30 am

Wow, I don't think I'd ever seen Stinker's Stuff before. Kim's comparisons are more thorough but it still looks like a good resource.

Just my ¥2 but for this character, I'd be tempted to use either a Hot Toys TT Slim or the current, 3rd generation Dragon body. I think an Enterbay body might look even better but they tend to be expensive and difficult to find.
Geektopian
Der Kommissar

Postby DollyKim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:48 am

I'd like to see how a TT slim compares to a regular TT, will have to look for one. My True Type is a massive guy, up there with the Sideshow.

Some of it is going to depend on the head too, how much of a neck does it have?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby AlmySidaKay » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm personally a fan of the Volks Neo guys, but that's just me.
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:49 pm

That's the biggest thing I'm running into, not knowing what head fits which body.
I'm leaning towards the Enterbay body. Not sure if it's thin enough. Wondering if the Volks head GO type would fit and what skin tone. http://www.amazon.com/Scale-Original-Ac ... 540&sr=8-5
Gift_in_Edge

Postby DollyKim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:26 pm

A Goh head looks like it would work on an Enterbay as the Go head doesn't have a neck. At worse you may have to put something on the end of the neck post to keep the head from falling off.

Very basically there are three types, no neck like Volks, Obitsu M and W heads, Barbie and collector Ken heads, split neck like those that fit on Dragon and DML style bodies, and those with necks that fit on figures with balls in their chests like some BBI and so forth.

You can get around mismatched necks with something like Apoxie Sculpt. I attached a split neck head to a full neck body and repainted the whole thing.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby maywong » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:56 pm

DollyKim wrote:I'd like to see how a TT slim compares to a regular TT, will have to look for one.

DollyKim- You have to scroll down a bit.
http://menwithdolls.yuku.com/topic/1303 ... ies?page=1

Gift_in_Edge - have you thought about a TT body?
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby JanetT » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 pm

The Hot Toys bodies are excellent quality, and have beautiful heads. (though I can understand if you have a particular character in mind and none of their heads work for him). The only complaint I have is the ankle joints look funny -- but if he's wearing socks or some kind of shoe, that doesn't matter so much. The posing is amazing.

I'd recommend a Volks Neo-Goh, if you can get one. The body is nice, tall and slim with a lean musculature. (though I recommend getting the larger optional feet, it makes a world of difference in their ability to stand.) They do have eye-hole heads, though I don't know how easy they are to get, since Volks is discontinuing their 1/6 line (note, you have to buy the 'image character' which has body and head sold together to get the eyehole head). However, I think you'd get a better likeness of the character with a rooted head and a painted face. Also you can put an Obitsu slim male head on a Volks Neo-Goh body (and vice versa).
This space for rent.....
JanetT
Dolly Pardon

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 am

Found another review for the TT 'narrow' and 'slim' http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_111809b.htm

I think I'm going with the TT body, slim if possible, with a 27cm obitsu rooted hair head with eye decals.
Thanks so so much for everyone's help!
Gift_in_Edge

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale