Go to footer

J-Dolls

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

Re: J-Dolls

Postby Mary Kathryn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Kirahfaye wrote:am probably just inept, but I followed a similar set of instructions to put a mini Pullip head on a baby Obitsu body and ruined the Pullip because I couldn't even get her back on her old body when the hybridization attempt didn't work for me..... :roll:

Not just you. Same here with my mini pullip. I ended up having to bore out her neck hole so much to fit on the obitsu that she's never going to fit back on her old body.
Mary Kathryn
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby claws » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:44 pm

I just found out that mine will be here tomorrow. I'll post a thread about them, with pictures and side-by-side comparison with one of my Obitsu dolls. I'm sure there's a ton of similar things on the internet already, but we don't have much info for J Dolls here, so I'll do it anyway. ^_^
claws
Dolly Pardon

Postby Tealove » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm

^ooohh. I really want to see this.

I love it when I find a j-doll at Tuesday Morning. Some of them are awesome, others are not so much. What I know is still very limited. But I did some research because there were some glaring differences between the ones I own.

1. The hair is plastic but I think the ones with straight hair are the most manageable and feel nicest. Not as nice as Monster High Spectra though.

2. They have pullip bodies that come in two types. Type 3 body is terribly fragile. The hands snap right off and sometimes I find them at the bottom of the box before its even opened. Type 4 body is much sturdier but can't swivel at the waist or slouch like type 3.

3. In theory, you can pull their arms, lower legs and hands off like monster high dolls and replace them with orbitsu limbs. Or so I've heard. I've never owned an Obitsu (on my list). However, I've pulled out broken arms on j-dolls and switched them with other j-dolls to make perfect bodies. It's really easy... although I always feel slightly guilty about pulling off arms. It's not hard and the arms can go right back in if you don't like it. They are kind of fragile so I wouldn't do it too often. But I no longer worry about broken parts.

4. As they have Pullip bodies, they can fit Pullip clothes. Well, obviously not the hats but everything else goes. :oops:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uenshin/25 ... 733691768/
^switching just the limbs on j-dolls to Obitsu. It sounds feasible to me and I really want to try it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24932793@N02/3705163206
^ body comparisons. If you do an internet search for pullip body comparisons, you'll find plenty of images.

Type 3 body and type 4. Their arms, hands and lower legs are peg and socket, so you can switch them. As you can see, I did. Type 3 has a more flexible torsal, but the feet and hands break off easily. Type 4 is more sturdy and doesn't mind loaning out arms. With interest of course.

From the back. Type 3 and Type 4. The screws make the body type obvious. Look at them, standing on their own.

Just pull the leg out... umm... she doesn't mind! Honest.

http://www.toyboxphilosopher.com/2013/0 ... nning.html
^ The toybox philosopher also did a review of the dolls. It's pretty informative.

Anyway... that's what I know... or what I think I know. I hope it helps.
Tealove
Dolly Pardon

Postby quidam » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Quick question, Tealove, did your girls come with the painted on undies, or did you add them yourself? I ask because mine doesn't have that; she came with real panties.

Also, thanks for the pictures you posted!They were very informative! I always though Pullip bodies were even more limited than that.
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Tealove » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:26 pm

quidam wrote:Quick question, Tealove, did your girls come with the painted on undies, or did you add them yourself? I ask because mine doesn't have that; she came with real panties.

Also, thanks for the pictures you posted!They were very informative! I always though Pullip bodies were even more limited than that.

Awww. You're welcome. I Photoshopped the undies on in a late night decision. Kind of silly but my husband was teasing me so I did it. J-dolls don't come with painted on underwear.

They also can't be trusted to stand on their own for long periods. One breeze and its all over.
Tealove
Dolly Pardon

Postby Mary Kathryn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:57 pm

That clears things up for me, Tealove. All the J-dolls I have are Type 4. My two Pullips are type 3, though. Thanks!
Mary Kathryn
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Kirahfaye » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:14 am

My problem is that I don't think any of the Ebay sellers indicate what type of body the doll has - how would they know?
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Tealove » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Well, they started changing the body types in 2009. I would guess that most of the dolls made in 2009 have type 4 bodies. I haven't seen one that doesn't. But my experience is limited and I don't want you to find the only exception to that. That's how my luck runs. In 2010, all of the dolls should have the type 4 bodies if you want to be really safe.

Here is a release list of all the dolls:

http://pullipsandjunk.com/pullips-compa ... ease-list/

Diamante le Calle, Avenue Kleber, Vasterlanggatan, Robson Street, Spitalgrasse are all dolls I know have type 4 bodies. So I tend to guess that anything that follows them will too. But I can't make promises.

I have Spitalgrasse. Her outfit is really flimsy and on my do-not-like list. To be fair, I'm sure it can be sorted out. Her hair does feel nice though its in braids.

Robson Street has interesting hair. It's not very soft and has a plastic texture. But in the end, I rather like it. Her outfit is cute but her shoes are too big.

Avenue Kleber is perfect and my favorite. Soft hair. Nice outfit and versatile.

Diamante le Calle is GORGEOUS. Beautiful outfit and the prettiest eyes and face-up.

Unter den Linden and Via Appia are on my want list. :oops:

I hope that helps.

Edit

I also kind of noticed on ebay that there are some dolls you can see the wrist on. If the wrist has a hinge that uses part of the arm, it's probably a type 3 body. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PULLIP-JUN-PLAN ... 23358b85a3

Here what I guess is a type 4:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUN-PLANNING-J- ... 2ecc24a2f2
Tealove
Dolly Pardon

Postby Kirahfaye » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Tealove, your wrist examples are very helpful - thanks!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Marionette » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 am

I own two J-Dolls. Their faces are gorgeous... their bodies not so much. :/ Luckily I don't have to look at their bodies often. xD The eyes are truly something, though. Definitely my favorite thing about the doll. There are a few others I want because those eyes get me every time!

One thing I'd caution you about is that certain J-Dolls are given to the arms breaking. Others seem to be more knowledgeable about this -- I'd assume one I have is probably a Type 3 body as one of mine came with a broken arm right out of the box. :c She's wearing a coat, so I'm guessing it broke while she was being dressed at the factory. Just something to note if you're looking at older ones. Neither I nor the seller had any clue she was broken because she was MIB, and it was hidden under the coat.
Marionette
i see dead dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale