Go to footer

Best doll for a first timer?

MSD, Tonners, or 40cm + (18" range)

Re: Best doll for a first timer?

Postby Lexagon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:00 pm

I've seen Kayke's doll around before... she makes me want to try and sand Bryn, SO much.
Lexagon
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Evelien » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I don't think I'd sand my doll but I love what she did with her eyes and hair! Is she an Isabella..?
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby cirquemom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Either AoD or Resinsoul/BBB are really good choices for a first doll. The AoD dolls pose great- their stringing is completely different from the Resinsoul/BBBs. But the Resinsoul/BBBs are just SO CHARMING they are hard to resist.
When I do a booksigning, slide show, lecture, etc., and take a number of dolls to show people- dolls from all different manufacturers and all price ranges- the doll that people are most drawn to is my little BBB Sprite.

Resinsoul/BBB dolls are floppy but that makes them really cuddly and it lets them kind of slouch into very natural-looking positions. I had my sprite for a couple of years before I restrung her- all I had to do was pull up and retie her elastic. NOT hard to do at all.

Also- Resinsoul/BBB dolls ordered from Junkyspot come with a nice, natural face-up. If you want a blank one you have to order it special. The default face-up is nice as-is, or if you want you can add to it easily to make it darker, more dramatic, etc.
Mary the Doll~ New book by the author of Resin Life~ now available on amazon.com :
http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Doll-Wendy-R ... 300188200/Image
cirquemom
Snarky Princess

Postby AlmySidaKay » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:10 am

I had my Isabella and my March at our mega meet today, and people flocked to them even tho they were probably the cheapest dolls at the meet. :P

More enticing/enabling spam:

A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby kaybee27 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 pm

AlmySidaKay wrote:I had my Isabella and my March at our mega meet today, and people flocked to them even tho they were probably the cheapest dolls at the meet. :P

More enticing/enabling spam:

OK, I'm sold - I just ordered my own Isabella! YAY! I'm so excited!

I have been scouring eBay for some awesome Barbie dresses...I will have to go back to Target to get some wigs!

Next time I post I will have to be in the 1/6 section...

Thank you all for your advice/enabling! I am still definitely planning to get a MSD-sized doll in the future but I think that Isabella will be a great way to get my feet wet. I'm also already comfortable with sewing for Barbie-sized dolls as I have a ton of Silkstones.

Can't wait for her to get here - I ordered from JunkySpot and she should be here this week! Now to think of her name...
kaybee27
i see dead dolliehs

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Congratz! Welcome to the new addiction. Here we have enablers, enabling pics, awsome face up artists and easy to follow tutorials all working together to drag you deeper into this hobby.
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Postby AlmySidaKay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:08 am

Yay I love being an enabler, plus then I have more people to chat with about BBB/RS Yo-SD girls. :P
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay

Postby Lexagon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:22 am

Yesss we've added another one to the ranks Almy.

DOING GOOD.
Lexagon

Postby AlmySidaKay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:46 am

I finally found the red wig that you have at my local Meijer, but they wanted $10 for it, aaaand then I remembered they price match, and walmart has them at $5 just don't have the red one I want.
AlmySidaKay

Postby thisstrangeforest » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 am

Yey! Looking forward to seeing your girl~!
At home: Faun
thisstrangeforest

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to 1/4 Scale