Go to footer

Frankendolliehs to the rescue! (customization question)

MSD, Tonners, or 40cm + (18" range)

Frankendolliehs to the rescue! (customization question)

Postby Samseramsamsam » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:07 am

I am dancing around an Ellowyne body on ebay while pondering the question:

Will it be possible to put a Parabox head (e.g. Ai-Chan, Luna) on the Ellowyne body? Or is the Parabox neck mechanism totally different?

Any tips are much appreciated :)
My mini knitting blog can be found at insomnimaniacs.wordpress.com

Wielding pointy objects only to create, not to harm... ];->
Samseramsamsam
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: Frankendolliehs to the rescue! (customization question)

Postby K2! » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:18 am

I know very little about the Ellowyne body, but I believe there would always be a way to accomplish something like this. Whether it's a simple "snap on" fix or a more complicated modification of a hardware connection, it has to be possible.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby zirconmermaid » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:34 pm

The Tonner doll bodies have a knob that the head fits over, with I presume a much smaller hole in the head. The next issue would be the neck diameter. One possible fix would be a kip or soft washer, then the head, and then another washer to keep the head stabilized and on the inner peg. Obitsu heads have a slot, for mobility and a much larger knob. I like using the insides of pill bottles, the part that makes them "child proof", for my washers. It is a very tough plastic and cuts easily with scissors. It is a little thicker than milk bottle plastic, which might also work.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby WhiteDove01s » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:33 pm

I've run into references for using the washer trick for putting a barbie head on a cy-girl body, but when I attempted it there didn't seem to be enough room between the bottom of the big bit of the peg on the body and the top of the neck to put the washer on and still have it go in the head.... maybe I'm doing something wrong. XD I'll probably give up on it and go back to my usual method, which I'll explain...

I actually tend to go at this kind of mod completely from the other side... almost everyone else I've heard of modifies the neck peg. (I only tried the washer thing because it sounded so easy...). But when putting Barbie heads on Liv bodies, I just bought a tube of all-purpose caulk and carefully put a bit of it around the neck hole in the head to make the hole smaller. Wait 24 hours for complete drying before putting it on the doll. Sometimes a little caulk rubs loose... and I've noticed that if I don't play with Denia for a while her head will be 'stuck' in place the first time I try to move it again, but after that loosens up and feels like a perfect fit with no posability issues.

I'm not sure how this would work for Parabox/Ellowynne, but it is another option that I've not seen anyone else use...
Playscale-Obsessed Mad Scientist with more cheap vinyl dolls than I'm willing to count.
Check out my 1/6 scale fabrics on Spoonflower!
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/playscalefabric?rec=true
WhiteDove01s
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Samseramsamsam » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Thank you guys! Unfortunately, I did not get the body this time, but it is a Frankendolliehproject I will keep in mind for later :mrgreen: (of course, maybe just buying the parabox body one day would be more fun... will see which I get at first ^^")

Samseramsamsam

Postby zirconmermaid » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 pm

The Parabox body would have better mobility, they have serious amounts of joints. But then I am biased, I love Obitsu!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Samseramsamsam » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:52 pm

From what I can see, I love the Obitsu, too :mrgreen: However, the price still deters me a bit... will see next year, for now I have my Ellowyne dolls and Tonners to play with ;)

Still pondering a Resinsoul Mei, she is adorable, too, but the Obitsus have great advantages, too. Decisions, decisions... :oops:

Samseramsamsam

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Samseramsamsam wrote:From what I can see, I love the Obitsu, too :mrgreen: However, the price still deters me a bit... will see next year, for now I have my Ellowyne dolls and Tonners to play with ;)

Still pondering a Resinsoul Mei, she is adorable, too, but the Obitsus have great advantages, too. Decisions, decisions... :oops:

Resinsoul Mei in their normal resin and mod it to fit on an Obitsu 45cm body?
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Siead » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:48 pm

resinsoul's pretty good about letting you bodyswap around in their lines. i have a mei with a double-jointed rong body with a li bust. their double-jointed bodies are actually pretty nice :)
https://twitter.com/SieadAitGR is the central hub for all my hobby blog/vlogging.
Siead
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Samseramsamsam » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:55 am

Oooh the Mei head would fit an Obitsu 45 cm body...? *__* methinks I'll have to compare the numbers :mrgreen:

The Rong body looks lovely, too... I am just still a bit intimidated by the stringing in the BJD and therefore think I would prefer the Obitsu body.

Which mod will have to be done to the head...?

Samseramsamsam

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/4 Scale