Go to footer

larger Obitsu (48 body)

MSD, Tonners, or 40cm + (18" range)

larger Obitsu (48 body)

Postby Samseramsamsam » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:08 am

Hi guys,

got my next girl out of customs on Friday, and honestly had a bit of a hard time bonding with her over the weekend. I really hope it will get better once the weather is fine enough to do her face up ^^"

I ordered the 48 body which comes with the Misuzu head, plus the Kanna and Mizuki heads.

The neck piece she arrived with was "busted"; the screw is missing. The parts seem to be complete, can anyone tell me which screw size I would need to buy?
I shook the body but could not locate the screw, should I take her apart looking for it, or should everything be fine? ^^"

The neck on the 48cm body: is it normal that the "skin" at the neck is much longer than the neck part inside, or do I have to push her together with more force...? (it looks fine with a head on, but on my 40cm girl, the "neck skin" does not appear that much longer than the neck inside).

Will post pictures soon. Already made her some knitwear, which, curiously, helped me bond a bit more. With the blank face, she kinda reminds me of Odo from the Deep Space 9 series... ;) I will test drive the other two heads (Kanna and Mizuki) I ordered once I have aquired a new screw for the busted neck piece, I really do not want to take out the one I have in the Misuzu head right now...

All in all, I was amazed how much more "fragile" the 48cm body feels when compared to the 40 cm. And I have problems to balance the 48, she sits very prettily, but I cannot leave her standing on the metal plate unattendet as she tends to lean over to the front and then swan dive off whatever height she stands on (seriously, I had her not very near the edge of the table and she still managed to "jump off", metal still on her feet. I think she might hate me... ;) )

When I take off the arm at the elbow for dressing, the shoulder (upper arm "bone") falls right off shortly after, that bugs me a bit (again, the 40cm stands and behaves like a dream ;) )
My mini knitting blog can be found at insomnimaniacs.wordpress.com

Wielding pointy objects only to create, not to harm... ];->
Samseramsamsam
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Re: larger Obitsu (48 body)

Postby Tira-chan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:19 am

I'd recommend taking her bust off and checking the shoulder joint. It sounds like it may be broken if her arm is constantly coming loose.
Tira-chan

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 am

I have a 48 and offhand I can't say anything about the neck skin as I haven't looked at it that hard, but if it looks good with the head on I wouldn't worry that it's too long - they do look that way some times.

The shoulder joint may not be broken, but it may not be as tight as it should be. I have a problem - not with my 48cm, but with my 40cm, where her leg below the knee falls off sometimes when I move her from sitting to standing :(

If it turns out that anything is broken - like the neck post - I would immediately contact the dealer you purchased it from! if you bought it new then they should be guaranteeing the quality and send you replacement parts!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby K2! » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:28 pm

The missing/broken neck part is grounds for replacement. If you are of a mind not to go through the return hassle, let's address the issues one at a time.

The missing neck piece screw is a rather specialty piece, probably hard to find at the local hardware store. It's 8mm long (base of head to end of shaft) with a shaft diameter of 2.4mm (including screw threads). It has a Phillips round or pan head and course threads like a sheet metal screw. The overall head diameter is 4.3mm. You can search for one of these but buying a new neck piece would probably be a lot less trouble.
Give the inside of the torso a thorough look over. The screw might have come out during shipment and lodged inside the torso somewhere. I also might be in the box. I won't be in the arms or legs as there's no real route into them from the torso. Metal parts also catch on the magnets in the feet and it could have been caught there and then brushed off during unpacking.

The difference in height from the 48cm and the 50cm is entirely in the legs. All the torso and arm parts are the same. If the neck piece seems to be sticking out of the neck vinyl, the neck piece is probably not engaging the nob on the torso part. Look inside the neck vinyl. Make sure the nob is centered (it bends front to rear) in the neck vinyl. Inset the neck piece and make sure it slips on the nob (you might need to wiggle it around a bit).

If the body doesn't stand up straight and slumps forward it is probably due to loose ankle joints. Check out this tutorial to tighten loose ankles.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10628

As for the arms falling off, this again might be a case of the peg not slipping into the hole. When inserting the shoulder into the torso, make sure the peg of the shoulder joint engages the hole in the torso skeleton part. Try to insert the peg as straight as possible. Inserting the joint at an angle can lead to damage. Before you insert the shoulder joint, make sure you can see the hole of the torso part inside the vinyl. I've done this dozens and dozens of times with arms and it still can take me a few shots to get them to engage properly. Inserting the arm improperly can lead to breakage of the torso part. Just go slowly and be careful.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Samseramsamsam » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:00 am

First of all, let me say thank you for all the comprehensive information! I really appreciate it!

I had ordered this girl from parabox, and their customer support is really great; I only asked about the screw and they at once said they will send me new neck piece! :)

I still could not locate the screw, but at least after some take-apart-ery, the shoulder joint seems better in place. (It does not slip out now if she sits, but only if I pull to remove the lower arm. We'll get there ^^").

K2, that is another great tutorial! But I have to admit that it looks quite intimidating to me. If the problem persists, one day I will brave it (like the neck joint XD). For now, I will wait how she stands once her boots arrive, maybe that will already solve the problem. And she sits very nicely ;)

Greyhaunt, I am really "glad" to hear that others have similar problems ;) My 40 girl sometimes "lost a leg" while dressing. She is now wearing a protective body suit (don't ask about the hassle of squeezing her in there...) and that really helps for me to keep the legs in place, as it is the kind that looks like tights with feet, it keeps the tension nicely, even if I wrestle socks off ^^

Here a picture of my 48 girl (still with Misuzu head)
Imagewell okay I'll look by pinkeeminenz, on Flickr
My mini knitting blog can be found at insomnimaniacs.wordpress.com

Wielding pointy objects only to create, not to harm... ];->
Samseramsamsam

Return to Board index

Return to 1/4 Scale