Go to footer

My first attempt at an MSD Cherry

MSD, Tonners, or 40cm + (18" range)

My first attempt at an MSD Cherry

Postby embyquinn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:07 pm

I was kind of reluctant to post this, because you all know how much I love my Moxie Teenz/MTM hybrid Riri. Still, I finally got my hands on a (really cheap ABS China knockoff) MSD-sized honest to Asian (vinyl) BJD. (Hey, she's advertised as a BJD, therefore she is one. Then again, Cherry is technically a BJD since she has ball joints and she's a doll, but hey--this one is ADVERTISED as a BJD, so there.)

I tried to paint her face as much like Riri's as possible. The skin tone is of course lighter...WAAAAAAY lighter...

Right now all she has is a fake Dollmore "sheath" dress, because I haven't yet made her any proper clothing. I made her a wig, got her violet eyes, and put eyelashes on after I beat up her face (ie, did her faceup).

A closeup of her TOTALLY not a sock dress. (No, really, it's not.)

Quick comparison shot of 1/4 Riri and 1/6 Riri. Is it just me, or does 1/4 Riri look slightly depressed?

I would love to hear feedback on how this looks. Don't spare my feelings; I really am looking for feedback so I can improve or do something better.

Thanks!
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Re: My first attempt at an MSD Cherry

Postby victoriavictrix » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:38 pm

1/4 RiRi needs a new set of eyebrows and eye makeup. That's why she looks depressed. 1/6 Riri has a lot more "attitude" in the set of her eyebrows in particular.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby embyquinn » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:25 am

Yeah, I kept the "factory" eyebrows, just changing her lip color and reshading the eyes along with changing them to violet...but you're right, she needs a makeover. Eyebrows I know I can do, and fortunately I have a blank head I can start with from scratch.

I really appreiate this, Misty. Since you're one of Riri's best friends, I knew we could count on you. *hugs*
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:06 pm

It helps that I'm married to an artist! I can usually "spot the differences" pretty quickly. Factory faceups go for a "neutral" expression, which doesn't match Riri''s "attitude" "Oh no you did not go there!" eyebrows.

I adore your Riri 1/6. She's the cutest thing ever!

I'm looking at the side-by-side heads and it seems to me you could actually use a Moxie Teenz head on a 1/4 resin body. Tan resin should match the head color. All you need to do is bring the elastic up through the head hole and tie a wooden bead off in it to hold it there, if you don't like using an S-hook. I've done resin body/vinyl heads and resin heads/vinyl bodies that way.
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby embyquinn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:32 pm

Changed the eyebrows and lashes and gave her a proper wig.

Doesn't even look like the same doll!
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:29 am

Now THERE'S the Ri-Ri I know and love!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby embyquinn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:56 am

Thank you so much, Misty, for not letting me settle for what I knew wasn't right. Truth be told, I knew that the eyebrows weren't quite right, but I didn't know it on the surface, if that makes any sense. I had to have it pointed out to me in order to get up off my duff and actually fix it. It's been a long time since I did a face up, and I've never been totally confident in my face up capability, so I was trying to go with only a slightly modified factory face up. Riri deserves better than that.

Don't think that I am totally replacing the original Cherry. This is not a replacement, but an expansion. This gives her access to larger props and such, and gives me an excuse to make her even more clothes.

My one take away from this experience? The fact that, if I ever do go the full monty polyurethane resin route, I can't settle for a default face up. I'm going to have to break out my brushes and paints and pastels and sealer and do it my own damn self.

Again, thank you so much, from both myself and my favorite doll. ❤️
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:03 am

Emby, always remember that default faceups are aiming in the direction of "unobjectionable." As such they will be bland, and Riri is ANYTHING but bland.

You'll find that at this scale you can do a lot more detailed outfits for the upscaled Riri, but that conversely they are going to take a lot longer to sew. It's always a tradeoff. So yeah, just let Riri tell you what scale she wants to be when!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Return to Board index

Return to 1/4 Scale