Go to footer

My gorgeous Lan (X-Post)

MSD, Tonners, or 40cm + (18" range)

My gorgeous Lan (X-Post)

Postby EAB » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Here is my new white RS Lan, Marie Celeste, with her namesake (Lan) white orchids.
I have fallen so in love with this doll that I feel guilty about neglecting the others, but I just can't help it.
I have so many plans for her.
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: My gorgeous Lan (X-Post)

Postby x0xPeachyx0x » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:56 pm

omg she is soo gorgeous!
I love her hair so much! the all-white makes her look so angelic<333
~Jordy-CP Soo~ Eljandro- ED Red~ Adelias- CP El~ Lily-HDF Pudding~ Kitty Face- Pipos baby Ringo~Asher- KD Bory~ Dameo- CP Chiwoo - Aubrey- MNF Shiwoo
x0xPeachyx0x
Dolly Pardon

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:48 am

She's beautiful! Did you make her miniature Fortuny gown? I love the dress! And she is a perfect orchid! Lan is one of those very under-appreciated dolls, and it's really good to see someone with her. :D I have always liked her! I am loving the pictures of her!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby EAB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:48 am

Thank you so much. I am absolutely crazy about this doll, and I'm glad you like her.
The Fortuny dress isn't exactly hard to make, but it takes a while, even if you use a machine for the pleating.
Here's how to do it, if you want to make one and have several days to devote to it.
I made mine from habutai silk (china silk) because it is so fine. I had to buy a #9 machine needle to pleat it, but an 11 would do on a heavier fabric.
Measure the doll from shoulder to floor and add 1/2-1" for top and bottom hems. Now measure her around her widest part, loosely, and multiply that figure by three. That will give you the width of fabric for pleating. Add 1-2" for side hems. Cut out this long rectangular piece of fabric and cut it in two, lengthwise. This makes the front and back of the dress. Turn under a very narrow hem on all four sides of each piece and stitch (I did mine by hand). Turn under again and stitch on all four sides, but leave the ends of the top hem open so that you can run a drawstring through the top at the neck.
Set your machine for a long basting stitch and stitch across the fabric in rows that are 1/4" apart. Do not secure the ends yet. After all the basting is complete, tie the ends of the threads together along one side to keep them from pulling out.
Gently gather the fabric along the untied thread ends until it is about 1/3 its original length (For Lan, this was 2 1/2 inches).
Press the pleated fabric under a damp press cloth, trying to press the pleats in one direction. Let the fabric dry completely.
Pull out all the basting threads.
Run a drawstring (I used 1/8 " silk ribbon) through the neck on both pieces, using a tapestry needle or similar. If you plan to put beads on the ends of the ribbon, you can put fray check on the ends and roll the ribbon ends into points. This will make it easier to put the ribbon through the beads.
Close the sides of the dress by whipping the edges together. You may sew a bead every quarter inch to replicate Fortuny. After the sides are sewn, sew beads around the armhole edges, 1/4" apart. Thread beads on drawstring ends, if desired, and knot drawstring ends. Put dress on doll and tie at shoulders.

That's probably way more information than anyone wants, but it's here if you do.
EAB

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 am

Did you name her after a ghost ship because she has such a beautiful ghostly aura?
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby richila » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 am

A beautiful doll in a beautiful setting, well done!
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby EAB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:24 am

Is Marie Celeste the name of a ghost ship? I didn't consciously know that. Hmmmm. I think I must Google this.
EAB

Postby EAB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 am

Goodness! Did I know that, do you think? I don't know if I knew that. At my age, there is no telling what information is floating around undetected in a person's brain. I just liked the sound. But, come to think of it, Marie Celeste does sound like waves washing up on a shore.
Maybe Marie Celeste is not a lucky name. I will have to think about it.
Thanks for pointing this out. I do not want her to mysteriously disappear.
EAB

Postby Dark Angel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 am

She is SO beautiful.
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby maywong » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:16 pm

What a pretty doll and dress.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/4 Scale