Go to footer

mixing brands- what looks good together?

MSD, Tonners, or 40cm + (18" range)

mixing brands- what looks good together?

Postby quidam » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:26 pm

So, I'm looking for a buddy of the boy persuasion for my girl. The thing is, I don't want to own a bazillion dolls; I just want two to play with, so I want to get the "right" boy for her. She's a 1/4 DZ , so part of me says stick to 1/4 DZ, so they will be similar enough. I did find one that I'm leaning toward.

BUT...I keep seeing cute boys in other brands. I've even caught myself eying some 1/3 sizes.
I guess my question is: What brands might be similar enough that one of them won't look stupid or cheap next to the other? How bad would a 14 and 1/3 look as a pair? (as in: would one look like a large headed freak?) So far, the brands I've seen some boys I like in are Resin Soul, Ringdoll, and Illusion Spirit.

I just don't want it to end up like when I received a generic Barbie as a child. The poor thing looked like Barbie's extremely interbred cousin when they were together.
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Re: mixing brands- what looks good together?

Postby Greyhaunt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Wow, that's not an easy question to answer! I always tell people "dont' worry about the brand, don't worry about the price, buy the doll that calls out to you." Sometimes you won't see it right away, and sometimes it's like WHAM a brick up the side of your head - but you'll know the right boy doll when you see it and that will be the one. :) There is no need to stick to a particular brand unless you just happen to be very fond of it.

I have DZ boys and an Angel of Dream girl, Bobobie girls, Dragon Doll boy, etc... none of them look cheap next to another because every one I bought "called to me" :)

Now, I would say stick to the same size range of 1/4 scale - when you put them next to a 1/3 scale they look like kids and you get this sort of creepy pedo thing going on then :? . The one thing I'd be sure to look at is the body shape of the boy you pick. Certain doll companies make their 1/4 scale dolls have more chubby kid bodies than others, so you don't want your girl to have a sort of "teen" figure and your boy to have a "10 yr old" figure :shock:

Take your time, if you can get into Den of Angels then do a lot of looking around - see what other people who have your same girl match theirs up with :) If you can't get into Den of Angels let me know, now that I know how I'll shoot you an invite to join them. :)

Also, go back and look at a lot of Cirquemom's photostories - she has more dolls than I do (seriously, she'll deny it but she really does have more) and they are from ALL SORTS of companies. That will give you a good idea of how very little a brand can mean in terms of dolls going well together. Heck, her Obitsu Prima has an Elfdoll Red for a boyfriend!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby quidam » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 am

Thanks for the reply! I knew it wouldn't be the easiest question to answer, but I think you answered it quite well! The DZ boy I had been leaning toward had caught my eye before I even ordered my girl. As long as no really grand contenders show up before the money arrives next week, he'll probably be it. I'll watch sizes, as the pedo look is definitely not what I'm going for!

DoA is currently invite only, and I'd be very grateful if you could shoot me one. I've been lurking there for awhile for ideas, but it gets frustrating when you can't search!
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby AlmySidaKay » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:59 am

I got this one! Hit me up, I've got a bunch of invites just waiting to be used! Just pm me your email. :D
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby quidam » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 am

AlmySidaKay:
Thank you, but it looks like Greyhaunt beat you to it!

Greyhaunt:
You're fantabulous! Thanks!
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:19 am

No problem :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Return to Board index

Return to 1/4 Scale