Go to footer

Got my 55cm Obitsu boy! ^.^ Question about his joints!

SD, Obitsu, freaky goaty footed SOOM, Hounds, all the big kids in the 50 to 72cm range

Got my 55cm Obitsu boy! ^.^ Question about his joints!

Postby Lunis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:28 am

Hi guys! My new Obitsu came in today, waaaaay sooner than I anticipated. XD I love him so much, but I have a question about his joints if anyone can help me. I've seen some people say that the joints slide out on the elbows and knees, and on Parabox's website it shows a pic of it with the 60 & 55cm dolls, but I've also heard that the 55cm boy doesn't have those joints and has less poseability. His joints look like they would slide, but I can't tell if they do or not. I'm afraid to try to move him in case he's not meant to. >w<; If he can't move past 90 degree angles, would getting 60cm limbs be an easy adjustment? Thanks in advance!

Also, anyone know if an SQlab head will fit on the 55cm boy? I really want to get one of those heads for him if possible. <3

Lunis's Dollhouse on FB (my doll page)
https://www.facebook.com/lunisdollhouse

Bittersweet Haven on FB (my art shop)
https://www.facebook.com/bittersweethavendesigns

Instagram: LooneyLunis
Lunis
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Got my 55cm Obitsu boy! ^.^ Question about his joints!

Postby K2! » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:13 pm

Lunis wrote:I've seen some people say that the joints slide out on the elbows and knees, and on Parabox's website it shows a pic of it with the 60 & 55cm dolls, but I've also heard that the 55cm boy doesn't have those joints and has less poseability. His joints look like they would slide, but I can't tell if they do or not.

The ball style joints on the 55cm and 60cm operate the same way. Many of those parts are identical. The reason the 55cm doesn't have quite the range of motion (the distance the joints will bend) is that on the 55cm body much more of the ball part of the joint is covered by the vinyl parts. If you visually compare the 55cm and 60cm joints you will see much less of the ball part of the joint on the 55cm. When the joint is bent the vinyls around the joint bump into each other preventing further movement.

If he can't move past 90 degree angles, would getting 60cm limbs be an easy adjustment?

The limbs of the 55cm can be swapped out with those of the 60cm. Swapping the legs would increase the height of your doll. The arms are about the same length so swapping those wouldn't change much. If you are handy with a craft knife, trimming the vinyl back from the ball joints will increase the range of motion. The cutting is easy. Getting it to look good is the trick.
My suggestion would be to live with the 55cm body for a while to see if it does what you need it to do before spending time and money on any modifications.

Also, anyone know if an SQlab head will fit on the 55cm boy?

Fitting resin heads to the Obitsu body can be accomplished with a relatively easy modification of the neck piece.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10755
After that, it's a matter of aesthetics: head size, skin color, etc.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Jezrah » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:52 pm

An SQ Lab head has the same attachment method as a DD head, as they were originally meant to be used with those bodies before they started making their own. Therefore the method of attachment would be this one. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1931

As for the joints, my boy's sliding joints work just fine. With the arm bent pull gently down on his lower arm near the elbow and the joint should slide out. I can get his elbow to about a 30º angle. His knee joint is a bit impeded by the vinyl covers and can only go to about 60º, however this doesn't really bother me day to day. I did end up removing some of the vinyl from his lower arm vinyl that covers the wrist joint so that his wrists would have a greater range of motion. I actually might still take just a bit more off than I originally did because the range still isn't as big as I'm used to with my DDs.
The Resin: Nerina (RS sky blue Mei)

The Small Wonder: currently unnamed 11cm Obitsu

The DDs: Ayano, Mitsuki, Akira, Kotone, Selena, Ichigo, Lydia, Hiroki, Kate, Hikari
Jezrah
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Lunis » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:52 am

K2! wrote:

Okay, I think I'll try cutting some of the vinyl away then. I'm also considering getting the 60cm legs because of the height change, but I didn't know the arms were the same length, so that's good! :) It'll be a little while before I'm ready to buy any other parts or a head for him anyway, so I'm sure I'll have time to decide for sure. Just trying to figure out what my best options are for now. Thank you so much for all the info and the link!

Jezrah wrote:

Do you have any pictures of how the vinyl is cut around his wrists? That's something I'd definitely like to fix, but I'm so nervous that I'll mess up. >w<; Thank you for the response and link! I really appreciate it!
Lunis's Dollhouse on FB (my doll page)
https://www.facebook.com/lunisdollhouse

Bittersweet Haven on FB (my art shop)
https://www.facebook.com/bittersweethavendesigns

Instagram: LooneyLunis
Lunis
i see dead dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to 1/3 Scale