Go to footer

My Elfdoll Wu repainted after... 7 years?

SD, Obitsu, freaky goaty footed SOOM, Hounds, all the big kids in the 50 to 72cm range

My Elfdoll Wu repainted after... 7 years?

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:02 pm

The last ball jointed doll face up I’ve done was 7 years ago back when I was 17 and honestly I don’t think my skills have really improved since then lol. I find BJD face ups to be an entirely different animal of painting compared to 1/6th dolls and especially since how the BJD community seems to have shifted from pastels and acrylics to pastels and watercolours.

However I really wanted to give my Elfdoll Wu a better face up than the crappy one he got 7 years ago because the head was a gift from a doll friend of mine who passed away recently.

Essie was someone who really encouraged and nurtured my doll customizing skills in my younger years, and who was incredibly gifted and generous. If it wasn’t for her I definitely would have given up painting a long time ago.

So, I was stubborn and decided to try giving this face up entirely with pastels and acrylic paint because it’s what I’m comfortable with.

I gave him tons of freckles because I’m a huge sucker for them and that I’m not happy with his eyebrows but it’s better than the grainy, brown turds I drew on him when I was 17 lol.

He’s still not perfect by any means but I’m much happier with him now because he has a lot of sentiment attached to him…
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Re: My Elfdoll Wu repainted after... 7 years?

Postby Qrinta » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:00 am

He looks great! From my perspective as a non-artsy person I'd say you did an awesome job. ^__^
Qrinta's Cantankery

If you like Legend of Korra/Disney and cutesy art in general (like my avi) consider checking out my bestie's Patreon Some content is NSFW.
Qrinta
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby zirconmermaid » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:28 am

I have always loved your face-ups! I think he looks great, too!
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Dark Angel » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:16 am

I think he looks fantastic. His freckles are really cute, too.
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby arrowchild » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:30 pm

He's so sweet :)
arrowchild
the walls have dolliehs

Postby cirquemom » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:33 am

Hey John! I didn't know you were still around!
He looks great!
:)
Mary the Doll~ New book by the author of Resin Life~ now available on amazon.com :
http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Doll-Wendy-R ... 300188200/Image
cirquemom
Snarky Princess

Postby TasiaChiba » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:23 am

Oh, that faceup looks lovely! He's super cute!

I wouldn't worry too much about watercolor vs acrylics. Just stick to what you like to achieve the look you want~ I actually hadn't noticed anything about watercolors... though I have seen people using the very liquid acrylics such as liquitex ink. Personally, I like my acrylics and will be sticking to them! As long as you feel comfortable with it, go for it~ And if you like it, that's all that matters!
http://eof.cloverpetals.com/images/dolliehsignature.png
Tasia@DA // Ends of Fate (BJD Site) // ResinAngel@DA (BJD)
Jacera (DM Lilis Liv) | Bríean (CP Shiwoo Vampire) | Inathe (Unoa Lusis) | Graeme (DS Saint) +moar~
TasiaChiba
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Return to Board index

Return to 1/3 Scale