Go to footer

Advice for First Time BJD Owner

SD, Obitsu, freaky goaty footed SOOM, Hounds, all the big kids in the 50 to 72cm range

Advice for First Time BJD Owner

Postby werepuppy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks for an amazing win on eBay, I will soon own my very first BJD. It's an Obitsu - so vinyl BJD - 60cm body with Haruka head. She's coming with an already complete face up, which is great news for me because I have no face up skills whatsoever and would not even know where to begin. The listing said it was bought in 2010 originally, and there is some slight staining to one of the hands, but nothing too severe. Thanks for any advice that can be given!

So, my question is... is there anything I should know about owning an Obitsu 60cm? Or just BJD care in general? I know it'll be very different from my 1/6th and 1/4th scale lot, so I am curious to know. Thanks for any advice you're able to give!
werepuppy
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Advice for First Time BJD Owner

Postby Tam I am » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:04 pm

First advice. Don't be overwhelmed. That happened to me. They seem pretty complex when they're that big. Second advice. Stick her to the fridge and take pictures.
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am

Postby Stormlight » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Well, she's made of vinyl so she'll stain pretty easily in dark clothes (although your 1/6 crew probably has that same problem, right?), so either get her something white to wear under dark clothes, like a body sock, or invest in a good stain remover meant for vinyl.

I have a few large vinyl dolls and I just keep them dressed in light clothes and wigs that have skin-colored or white caps. It seems to work pretty well in preventing stains. And I will say vinyl girls are WAY lighter than resin girls. I have a lot of 1/3 resins and while I love them, my vinyls are definitely easier to manage when posing them for pictures and such. So you made a pretty good choice if you're just getting into the larger scale dolls. :)
Stormlight

Postby davidd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 am

I saw your post at the other forum and responded there. Congratulations on taking the 60cm plunge! Good luck!
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby werepuppy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:49 am

Tam I am wrote:First advice. Don't be overwhelmed. That happened to me. They seem pretty complex when they're that big. Second advice. Stick her to the fridge and take pictures.

Yeah, I've heard that they can feel pretty overwhelming. I don't think I've ever had anything this size. Also... stick her to the fridge? That can be done?

Stormlight wrote:Well, she's made of vinyl so she'll stain pretty easily in dark clothes (although your 1/6 crew probably has that same problem, right?), so either get her something white to wear under dark clothes, like a body sock, or invest in a good stain remover meant for vinyl.

I have a few large vinyl dolls and I just keep them dressed in light clothes and wigs that have skin-colored or white caps. It seems to work pretty well in preventing stains. And I will say vinyl girls are WAY lighter than resin girls. I have a lot of 1/3 resins and while I love them, my vinyls are definitely easier to manage when posing them for pictures and such. So you made a pretty good choice if you're just getting into the larger scale dolls. :)

I am looking into like a body suit type thing, though it's gonna be a while until I can afford one. I will look at the arts and crafts sort to see if they've got anything that works as a good stain remover for vinyl in the meantime. (Unless anyone has a rec for the good one that is easier to get within the UK.) Yeah, I'm feeling... very nervous about the resin side of things so I was thinking of sticking to vinyl until I felt more ... I can't think of the right word for it. Thank you, though!

davidd wrote:I saw your post at the other forum and responded there. Congratulations on taking the 60cm plunge! Good luck!

Thank you!
werepuppy

Postby Tam I am » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Well, I know my big Obitsu has magnets in her feet, and from what I've heard the others do too? It's for standing them on a metal plate for a doll stand. But if their joints are firm enough, they can do a bit of minor Spider-Man/Nightcrawler on fridges and such.

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am

Postby K2! » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 am

werepuppy wrote:I am looking into like a body suit type thing, though it's gonna be a while until I can afford one. I will look at the arts and crafts sort to see if they've got anything that works as a good stain remover for vinyl in the meantime. (Unless anyone has a rec for the good one that is easier to get within the UK.)

Staining 101 presented by two of my many vinyl girls, Kizuna and Chitose.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11737&start=150#p135421
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby werepuppy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:27 am

Tam I am wrote:Well, I know my big Obitsu has magnets in her feet, and from what I've heard the others do too? It's for standing them on a metal plate for a doll stand. But if their joints are firm enough, they can do a bit of minor Spider-Man/Nightcrawler on fridges and such.

Oh, now that's something I've got to have a quick try of! If it works, I will take a picture and show you!

K2! wrote:
werepuppy wrote:I am looking into like a body suit type thing, though it's gonna be a while until I can afford one. I will look at the arts and crafts sort to see if they've got anything that works as a good stain remover for vinyl in the meantime. (Unless anyone has a rec for the good one that is easier to get within the UK.)

Staining 101 presented by two of my many vinyl girls, Kizuna and Chitose.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11737&start=150#p135421

Ahh, so informative. Thank you very much.
werepuppy

Postby davidd » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:11 pm

K2! wrote:Staining 101 presented by two of my many vinyl girls, Kizuna and Chitose.

That panel about "postponing the inevitable." With the calendar for tracking.... And the... :o... is that a... never mind.

Anyway, as for refrigerator magnets, I don't have any magnetically-enhanced 1:3 scale dollies in my crew, but Monster High Astra Nova has a super-powerful magnet in her head, and has been known to hang out with the other fridge magnets.

Last edited by davidd on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Tam I am » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:49 pm

XD @ fridge monster.

Yeah, the magnets in the feet make for some really nice posing.

Also, for quick clothes, human lady's size socks are a perfect size for emergency clothing for big Obitsus. ...My poor girl is still wearing it, because I fail at sewing for her.

Tam I am

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/3 Scale