Go to footer

Meet Olivia Basil!

SD, Obitsu, freaky goaty footed SOOM, Hounds, all the big kids in the 50 to 72cm range

Meet Olivia Basil!

Postby werepuppy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:21 pm

"Hi, everyone."

Olivia 'Sable' Basil arrived today! (The middle name is the name her old owner had given her.) She's my first vinyl BJD, and also my very first doll in the 1/3 scale range. Well, unless a ragdoll my gran gifted me when I was very young counts, but I think Dolly will happily concede her title to Olivia here. She is a lot lighter than I had expected her to be, and I'm really glad I took the time to look up the Obitsu skeletal system, as I think I would have been a little overwhelmed with the jointing otherwise. Also? I really like her face:

"I'll miss my old home, but I'm looking forward to my new life here."

As mentioned she's an Obitsu 60 body with the Haruka head, and I won her secondhand on eBay. Her old owner kindly added in some extra wigs and some clothing pieces for her so she doesn't need to go around without anything on. We had a bit of a redressing session when she got out of her packing to find something she felt comfortable in and we settled on what's she's wearing. (The cardigan was put on as well an hour later because there's a strong cold wind blowing today.)

"Oh. I say. You are quite tall, aren't you?"
"Yes... but you are only 10."

(Not sure why that picture came out so blurry...) Just two quick height comparison with the tallest among my own dolls. Matilda Marchmont here, my gorgeous Girl For All Time, is about 16-17 inches height. She's all vinyl, is strung, and tends to pose fairly well. Though, I feel I should inform people who may be looking to get one of these dolls, her legs are a bit kicky and don't really like posing any way other than straight. Matilda was a bit surprised to meet Olivia. See, Miss Marchmont is used to being one of the tallest in the room when it comes to the dolls, and to find someone taller than her... Well, she wasn't quite sure how to handle it. I'm sure they'll get along fine though.

"Oh my ghoul! I didn't know giants still existed! Wait till I tell Clawdeen!"
"Heh. You're adorable."

With a Frightfully Tall Ghoul from Monster High (sigh, I miss that line.) Roughly 17 inches, probably a little over it when on the stand. Great posing. Actually, when I think on it? The FTG MH head would probably look fairly decent on a 1/3 body, if there was one that worked well. I know there was a 28" MH doll but that never hit the UK. Actually, to be more accurate, it never hit my distribution area within the UK and I couldn't find anywhere within decent travel distance that had it. I'm not really fussed, btw, but it would have been nice to see one in person.

"How did you know he was my favourite?"

All in all? I am really enchanted with my dear Olivia. While I admit my first thought was that she was... bigger than I was expecting, just over the past couple of hours we seem to have bonded really well. The outfit pieces given to her are really nice and while I still have an idea for her style in mind, I think she'll wear these quite frequently as well. She's just really... darling, honestly.

Now for the learning curve of BJD-dom.
werepuppy
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Re: Meet Olivia Basil!

Postby davidd » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Congratulations on the huuuuge new arrival!

The 60cm size can be rather surprising, even when you're expecting it!

I love the figure poses in the "Oh. I say. You are quite tall, aren't you?" photo! Those two seem to have some chemistry together!
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby oniakki » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:38 pm

I was surprized at the size of my first 60, and all my prior dolls were 50s.
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby werepuppy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 am

davidd wrote:Congratulations on the huuuuge new arrival!

The 60cm size can be rather surprising, even when you're expecting it!

I love the figure poses in the "Oh. I say. You are quite tall, aren't you?" photo! Those two seem to have some chemistry together!

Thank you! Seriously, I just did not expect it in that way. The box itself was the biggest surprise I think. I've no idea where I'm going to store it... I think Matilda is going to like having someone taller than herself around, someone she can go to to ask questions and get advice from (since Olivia is older than her, at least in my head.) I just hope they'll have a good friendship.

oniakki wrote:I was surprized at the size of my first 60, and all my prior dolls were 50s.

Good to know I'm not alone in being surprised at the size!
werepuppy

Postby Dark Angel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Congrats!! I'm so glad that the two of you are getting along! :)
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby maywong » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:37 am

Congrats on getting her.
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby werepuppy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:37 am

Thank you, Dark Angel and maywong. I think it's fair to say that Olivia had wormed her way into my heart before she was even officially mine. Though, she's now informing me that she would very much like it if I could see my way to helping her oldest friend, Jack, show up here as she would very much like Jack around. So I'm trying to find (ideally) another vinyl BJD that is the same height/slightly taller than the Obitsu 60. And is male. For something that doesn't make my wallet cry.

Anyway! Today was laundry day. Of course, Olivia helped out...

werepuppy

Postby davidd » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:45 am

werepuppy wrote:For something that doesn't make my wallet cry.

:lol: ... errr, I mean, yes, I'm sure with some patient searching. :roll:

(Smart Doll offers a couple of 60cm male dolls: LINK)
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby werepuppy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:11 pm

davidd wrote:(Smart Doll offers a couple of 60cm male dolls: LINK)

I have seen the Smart Doll offerings and Eiji Seiun Kai would be utterly perfect for Jack. However, yen to pound conversation has his price at ... around £500 and that is not exactly something that is possible for me, sadly. Hence looking for other options, and constantly searching eBay for a deal.
werepuppy

Postby Dark Angel » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:11 pm

They make 50cm Obitsu guys... but that's shorter than Olivia and you said you wanted taller.

Granado offers vinyl guys now. Less expensive than Smart doll, but with a more realistic look.
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/3 Scale