Go to footer

Plz answer some newbie ?s about 60/50cm Obitsus & DDs ")

SD, Obitsu, freaky goaty footed SOOM, Hounds, all the big kids in the 50 to 72cm range

Plz answer some newbie ?s about 60/50cm Obitsus & DDs ")

Postby Misheru » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new the forum and although I have collected dolliehs for years, this is my step into the larger dolly world. I have tons of questions and I hope you lovely, helpful folks can assist me just a little bit. :D

Hubby & I are buying each other 'big' dolliehs for our 10th anniversary and he has decided on a 60cm Obitsu with a Gretel head. He has yet to figure out whether to get the BJ body or the other type of jointing, but other than that...he is set.

I am a mess. I have always wanted a Dollfie Dream Dynamite. I adore the curvy girls. But then I fell in love the Obitsu Megu on the 50cm body (and I love the flexibility). Yeah, I know. Opposite ends of the scale! :lol:

I am in the lottery at Volks for Miu, but I don't have much hope. I have done some faceups before but I am not adept at it, so a blank head scares me.

I adored the Obitsu Misuzu doll but missed out on it. I LOVE the Yamato VMF50 dolls. It is like the best combination of both worlds, but the idea of using an agent or shopping service is intimidating.

I guess I am looking for any other owner thoughts or advice or comparisons. Maybe just a discussion for new ideas. Since we are buying two dolls, we cannot go over the top on price right now (if we could, I would be bringing an ALNA home with me! :? )...but just looking for a great first doll.

Thanks for any help. :) BTW - I love your ladies, K-2!

~Misheru
=^,...,^= MISHERU >^.^<
~ The *M* share of the H&M House of Vinyl ~
Misheru
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Re: Plz answer some newbie ?s about 60/50cm Obitsus & DDs ")

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Misheru san!! :hug: Welcome to the forums!

I love both the Obitsu and the Volks dollfie, and can say that the Obitsu body is more sturdy and more anime-like, while the Volks are a little more realistic shaped (thicker, shorter neck, thicker legs, a bit more proportioned naturally). But it's totally opposite with the heads! The Obitsu heads are more realistic (though Parabox makes an anime style option head) and the Volks are more anime! (Go figure!)

I often 'mix them up' so that's an option, too! You can buy a Megu head and put it on a Volks DD body. ^^

I can say that I have handled and sewn for a DDdy for a commission and due to the larger bust size, it's more difficult to make realistically nice looking outfits. Bras and corsets and swimsuits are fine, but to make a suit or a dress or something along those lines, sewing for an explosion bust doll is tougher. ^^

The 50cm Obitsu is also super nice and super poseable, but is a smaller doll. She'd be like a 'little sister' to your husband's Gretel.

I guess, if I were you, and I loved Megu's head, and the Volks DD body, I'd mix and match her---a Megu WS head on a Volks NS DD (or DDdy) body. (The Volks NS matches the Obitsu WS really well.)

Also, if you do like the Yamato girl, using a deputy service really isn't too bad. I use one all the time and he's become my good friend now! ^.~

Hope it helps a little!!

God bless!!

~Setsuna
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Dark Angel » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 pm

For your husband- Go with the Ball jointed body, it is so pretty!

And for you, I only know about Obitsu, so I can only talk about them. The 50cm body is super awesome! And still pretty curvy.
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Let me say that if you want as VMF 50cm and are willing to pay more (because they do cost more even not including proxy fees) then go for it. I have two - a Type B (the really butch thunder thighs kind) and just the other week I got my Type B Image Model Risa (whose body is going to end up with a haruka head) and I love it! K2 - the Master of Madh Vinyl and He-Who-Knows-All when it comes to obitsu uses a proxy service for a lot of his stuff and has no problems. I have also used a proxy service and still do so, albeit less often than K2 does :) They are nothing to be afraid of and we'd be happy to make recommendations.

Yes, Volks DD do have nice sculpts, but if you want poseability you'll get far more out of even a basic 50cm. Were you at CCBJD? Just asking because I had a 50cm with a Megu head there, although she doesn't have a faceup yet :) It is an awesome combination - Cirquemom is working on one as well!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby K2! » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Misheru wrote:Hubby & I are buying each other 'big' dolliehs for our 10th anniversary and he has decided on a 60cm Obitsu with a Gretel head. He has yet to figure out whether to get the BJ body or the other type of jointing, but other than that...he is set.

On the 60cm body, the ball joint version is more attractive if the knees and elbows are going to be seen (short skirts, short sleeves) but the hinge joint version has a wider range of motion, much better for posing.

I am a mess. I have always wanted a Dollfie Dream Dynamite. I adore the curvy girls. But then I fell in love the Obitsu Megu on the 50cm body (and I love the flexibility). Yeah, I know. Opposite ends of the scale! :lol:

The DD2 and DDDy bust will fit on the 60cm Obitsu body.

I am in the lottery at Volks for Miu, but I don't have much hope. I have done some faceups before but I am not adept at it, so a blank head scares me.

Don't sweat it. Obitsu/Parabox heads (Gretel, Haruka, Megu, etc.) are relatively inexpensive and can be cleaned easily if you mess up.

I adored the Obitsu Misuzu doll but missed out on it. I LOVE the Yamato VMF50 dolls. It is like the best combination of both worlds, but the idea of using an agent or shopping service is intimidating.
Using a proxy is intimidating at first but it is the only way to get some things (like the VMF50s). It's not hard and most of them tell you what you're in for up front. There are fees involved but the real killer right now is the exchange rate between the dollar and the yen.

I guess I am looking for any other owner thoughts or advice or comparisons.

I can't really recommend one over the other. You have to figure out what you want. Is it a certain look? Is it a particular body? Are you replicating or creating a certain character? Is it posing ability? SD scale vinyls (DD and Obitsus) are a good choice for customization.

Thanks for any help. :) BTW - I love your ladies, K-2!

Thanks, I love them too!

Oh, and welcome to the Sanctuary.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Misheru » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Thank you so much for all of the help already. :D I signed up at another forum that a friend suggested and felt a little intimidated, so I asked few questions there. :( You all make me feel very welcome and I really appreciate it.

I have wanted an anime style doll ever since I played my first RPG game, which was Xenosaga. So I want a KosMos dolly (blue hair, red eyes) but with regular clothing. Sort of a street-style, harajuku Kossy. :lol: But I know I can change out eyes and wigs so I am not set into a certain face, headmold or anything.

I was not sure if the Megu head would work on the larger bodies (DD or 60cm obitsu) since she is 'scaled' for the 50cm body.

Does anyone have a 50cm with the large bust made for that body? I wondered how 'curvy' it is. I was also concerned about finding clothes that I like for that body. But then I have that concern about the Dynamite body as well.

So you can but a DDy bust on a 60cm Obitsu? Hmmm. ;) I wonder how that compares to the large one Parabox sells.

I have done a faceup on a Sheba head for practice for hubby, just to see if I could do it so he would know what to order. It turned out okay. But I can do 'fashion' styles better than anime.

I know the neck attachments are different, but with tweaks you can swap heads back and forth between Volks and Obitsu?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Hugs,
Misheru
=^,...,^= MISHERU >^.^<
~ The *M* share of the H&M House of Vinyl ~
Misheru
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby victoriavictrix » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:37 am

I will tell you something that may make up your mind for you. The one problem that both DDs and Obitsu have is that some of their internal skeleton parts break. I suspect, since both of my Obitsus were bought at nearly the same time, neither was "played with" a lot and both broke at the same time, it has to do with the aging of the plastic.

However, if you break a piece on the internal skeleton of a DD, Volks will tell you "Get a new doll."

If you break a piece on the internal skeleton of an Obitsu, Parabox and Emory at Junkyspot will say "here is our catalog of replacement parts."

Also, vinyl stains relatively easily. If you get a part badly stained, Volks will tell you, "get a new doll." Parabox will say "here is our catalog of replacement parts."

There is no part on an Obitsu that you cannot find the replacement for at the Parabox site. Emory will special order, and now and again someone here runs a Group Order.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Biff » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:02 am

I don't know a lot about hybriding between Obitsu and Volks completely off hand (K2 is the one who knows!), but I do know the neck attachment in the new Obitsu's is very different from Volks. I suspect, to an extent, anything is possible, but I would personally recommend going with a full one company brand doll first before stepping into the would of hybrids. It gets a bit complicated, fast. lol Also, Volks heads are much larger in comparison in general to Obitsu's. Obitsu heads are usually 7"-8", while Volks is closer to 8"-9". I don't know exactly the size of the Megu head, but I assume it's 7"-8" or 6"-7".

I find Obitsu's to be slightly more realistic and Volks to be more anime true in their faces over all (as Volks is made for anime styled eyes). Obisu eyes seem to be around 16mm-18mm and Volks is 20mm-22mm. Both companies, when you really do the math, end up being about the same cost new. However, in the after market, Obitsu tends to run cheaper than Volks over all (partially due to Volks being geared towards limiteds and Obitsu more a steady line of standards).

I'll also note that the Obitsu 60cm body is pretty small/slender overall. I know it is possible to find some clothing that fit with the regular 50cm, just note that the Obisu 60cm is on the small side over all compared to "average" clothing. Mostly you find clothing for resins which are much fatter usually. The DDDy might be closer, and Volks sells a decent amount of clothing for them, but it is pricey and mostly limited (however it does exist!).

If you are more planning on having the doll on display than playing with it a lot, just go with whichever you like better, hands down. Also, I haven't heard about that many breakages occur on either company.

Hopefully that helped some. :D
Biff
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby K2! » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:19 am

Misheru wrote:I was not sure if the Megu head would work on the larger bodies (DD or 60cm obitsu) since she is 'scaled' for the 50cm body.

Megu is a little smaller but the right wig can easily make up for that.

Does anyone have a 50cm with the large bust made for that body? I wondered how 'curvy' it is. I was also concerned about finding clothes that I like for that body. But then I have that concern about the Dynamite body as well.

This is the 50cm with the Obitsu 50cm large bust. She is a little curvier than most as she is also endowed with the VMF Type B abdomen. The 50cm large bust is larger than the stock medium bust, but not nearly as large proportionally as the 60cm large busts or DD2/DDDy busts.

So you can but a DDy bust on a 60cm Obitsu? Hmmm. ;) I wonder how that compares to the large one Parabox sells.

Yes, it's one of the few spare parts Volks offers. The DDDy has more of a "push-up bra" effect than the DD2 large bust and the Obitsu/Parabox large bust.

I know the neck attachments are different, but with tweaks you can swap heads back and forth between Volks and Obitsu?

I must admit, though I have 3 Dollfie Dream bodies, I've never had a Volks head for any of them. But from seeing the neck post that comes on the body, the hole in the base of the head must be very small. That being the case it could be enlarged to accept the Obitsu neck piece.

I would suggest taking Biff's advice and get an "all one brand" doll to begin with. Once you get used to seeing how everything works and is laid out, you will be much more comfortable with modding the doll.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby SetsunaKou » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:21 am

I must admit, though I have 3 Dollfie Dream bodies, I've never had a Volks head for any of them. But from seeing the neck post that comes on the body, the hole in the base of the head must be very small. That being the case it could be enlarged to accept the Obitsu neck piece.

Yes, the post hole in the head is VERY tiny---but the overall neck hole is large (the circumference of the neck). What I do is just cut the tiny post hole with a hobby knife to enlarge it. You can even completely eliminate the entire 'volcano' (when you cut it out it has a volcano shape) from the DD Option heads so that they will fit on 60- 70cm Resin bodies.
(See my avatar---the blue haired guy is a Volks DD Custom Hair head on a 70cm RS body; the red haired girl is a Volks DD Custom Hair head on an Obitsu 60cm body)
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/3 Scale