Go to footer

Handmade dolls

That is a dollieh?
OMG, THAT IS A DOLLIEHS? THOSE ARE ALL DOLLIEHS!

Handmade dolls

Postby Beeves » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:14 am

Sculpted, cast, knitted, crocheted, sewn... I've been itching to make my own doll, but I'm not sure what to do or where to begin!

Can I see your own handmade dolls? How hard were they to make? Are there even handmade dolls here?
Beeves
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Handmade dolls

Postby DollyKim » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Paperclay and cloth body imitation 1830s styled "china head" from a Susan Sirkis Wishbooklet design. Stands about a foot tall.

Start with thinking about the skills you have or want to learn, what sort of budget and hobby time you might have, what size doll you want.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Tam I am » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I made the little teal one, my friend AutobotDen made the bigger one. Sometimes the braided ones or other simple types are the best start.
I am Tam. Tam I am. I like green eggs, but I don't like ham. :D

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Good job! Do you want to do more string wrapping or branch off in to something more complicated?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Tam I am » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Is that question for me, DollyKim?

I tried linking one of my adopted click pets here, but the board wouldn't let me. :/
Tam I am

Postby DollyKim » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Maybe. Sometimes I forget who's posted what. You're welcome to answer if you want.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Tam I am » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 pm

XD I'm the one that posted the picture of the yarn dolls.

My braided dolls are pretty complex, because I make them so nothing falls off or comes undone or gets squished. I think I'll always be mainly working with yarn or string when it comes to dollmaking, because I also crochet dolls sometimes. I tend to go for small, featureless ones that are made to be held instead of looked at, because I've found that comfort dolls can help a lot of people with a lot of different things, even if they're just something to fidget with at work.

Tam I am

Postby Dark Angel » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:36 am

Over ten years ago I made one out of clay... It was bad... LOL! So no pictures. XD
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:59 am

Crochet dolls, same base Annie's Attic fashion doll pattern but the half size one was given a pillow form instead of legs. The big one is Barbie size done with size 10 crochet thread, the little one was done in size 20.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Tam I am » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm

Oh, I like those crochet dolls! And now I'm remembering the ones I used to make from an adapted alien pattern. I was a crazy kid, and gave them real toes and fingers and everything. But I was trying to do faces, and I don't think any turned out well.

Tam I am

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Misc Scale, Mixed Batches, Unique Materials