Go to footer

Question - Do your dolls have a 'default' look?

That is a dollieh?
OMG, THAT IS A DOLLIEHS? THOSE ARE ALL DOLLIEHS!

Question - Do your dolls have a 'default' look?

Postby TheHighlander » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Do your dolls -male/female/whatever each have a 'default' look?

I have 9 of the big girls now, and each of them has been in different looks and outfits, but each also has a wig/outfit combination that is more or less their default look. It's the one that they come back to when they're done playing, it's the look that seems to represent the actual 'personality' of the doll.

Mariko - the girl in my Avatar, has several different looks, but the two she most commonly comes back to are the blond up-do she has in the picture and a long straight medium brown wig with parted bangs. Her outfits vary tremendously, but her 'default' is probably a white top with a skirt - usually a mini, thigh highs and heels.

I just find that when a new dollieh is taking shape physically, their character is taking shape in my mind also, and once they have arrived, I find an outfit for them that seems to capture who they are. It's not always the first outfit that they wear, but at some point I'll put something on them, and it just fits perfectly for the character.

So what about you? Do your dolliehs have default looks? Or are they more flexible than that?
TheHighlander
~{Proud Dollieh-Daddieh}~
I like my dolliehs a lot.
Actually, I like my dolliehs more than I like a lot of people I know in real life.
Is that bad? I think not!
TheHighlander
Dolly Pardon

Re: Question - Do your dolls have a 'default' look?

Postby AlmySidaKay » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:57 pm

My girls tend to gravitate towards one hair color more then another, but they can do several styles in each color. As for clothing they have all decided they like certain looks, but don't always wear the same thing.
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby Yanagi-sen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 pm

All of mine have a 'default' look. If I do switch out a wig, that's because the doll is 'cosplaying'. ^__^
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Lexagon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Certainly, well Viv and Bryn both have 2 different defaults as they technically live in 2 realms at any one time.

Bryn's modern is always her denim dress and red jacket
Viv's is still being made :3
Lexagon
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby TheHighlander » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Yanagi-sen wrote:All of mine have a 'default' look. If I do switch out a wig, that's because the doll is 'cosplaying'. ^__^

Hmm...Cosplaying...

Well, one of my girls is going to have issues in that department. She's a character doll from Volks - Neris - and I really love her outfit. Bur because it's a full character outfit from Volks and she's a game character, it already looks like she's cosplaying. I have no doubt she will re-dress in due course, but I have no idea what she will go for - her character is still taking shape.
TheHighlander
~{Proud Dollieh-Daddieh}~
I like my dolliehs a lot.
Actually, I like my dolliehs more than I like a lot of people I know in real life.
Is that bad? I think not!
TheHighlander
Dolly Pardon

Postby Gift_in_Edge » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:50 pm

I think my girl Joe is the only one with a real 'default' look. Usually whenever I bring her on a trip or meet she wears her outfit she came with which I love because it makes her look more classy. Her wig is currently attached to her head so no changing hair for her.
I'm mostly on Tumblr now.
Gift_in_Edge
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:07 pm

I'd say it's more of a style than anything else, certain kinds of shirts. There are some who gravitate to the same outfit or colors. Bram always wears jeans. Rian likes pockets.

Jareth is usually in his Dance Magic outfit, Lucifer won't take off his Led Zeppelin t-shirt, Little Walken likes the pinstripe suit and black overcoat. Does Jimmy only having one pair of pants count?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Yanagi-sen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:58 pm

TheHighlander wrote:Hmm...Cosplaying...

Well, one of my girls is going to have issues in that department. She's a character doll from Volks - Neris - and I really love her outfit. Bur because it's a full character outfit from Volks and she's a game character, it already looks like she's cosplaying. I have no doubt she will re-dress in due course, but I have no idea what she will go for - her character is still taking shape.

All of my dolls are character dolls. But that doesn't mean they can't cosplay OTHER characters... that way I don't have to actually get more dolls. ^_~
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby solitary agent » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:01 pm

I only have boys, so their hair styles/colours do not change. Well, Justin sometimes wears his down and sometimes pulls it back, but it's the same wig.

They do have certain outfits that are more "them" than others. For Paul it's his little blue and green checkered shorts suit. For Robin, the corduroy trousers/tan top Dollzone set. And for Renton the maroon suit with gold trim I made for him. Justin's new, so he doesn't have much yet, but I think he'll usually have suspenders on. And my tiny boy, Addy, only has one outfit that really fits him well.
The Boys: Robin Costa-AoD Xun // Paul Fraser-Custom House Little Junior Mars
Aidan Sheridan-Pluto Vergil // Addison Parker-DiM Eileen // Renton Abernathy-DZ Raphael
Justin MacDowell-DiM Arno // Andrew Fairfax-LoongSoul Ivan // Souichi Tatsumi-Volks SD17 Williams
solitary agent
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:40 pm

My dolls all have their own wig and eye combo that is 'their look', and most have some kind of general style for what they wear.
Mizzy is a blonde gypsy, with vague steampunk/bellydancer vibes.
Alis has a long brown ponytailed wig to go with his historical fashions.
Emmeline has her fancy red updo and her frilly Victorian gowns.
Nickel has mussy brown fur full of hair clips and bright colored punky kids clothing.
Tobi....doesn't wear clothes >>;;;
Ester is a steampunk fairy with a mass of blonde curls.
Ayako doesn't have a set style beyond 'sexy anime' so far.
Sonja is anything horrifyingly tacky, shiny, or just generally trampy from my Barbie collection
Sahara is sexy evil, nuff said
Sarah and Yuri are the only casual girly girls.
Oh and Wynnie is an emo/scene kid.
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Misc Scale, Mixed Batches, Unique Materials