Go to footer

Doctor Who toy news

That is a dollieh?
OMG, THAT IS A DOLLIEHS? THOSE ARE ALL DOLLIEHS!

Re: Doctor Who toy news

Postby DollyKim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:57 pm

The War Doctor, listed as the Other Doctor on his box. http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... octor.html He fits in with the 5" Doctors, "classic" and the 11 Doctor set. Easy way to get a spare 8 head.

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Calivano » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:04 pm

I really like the Union Jack Dalek. The Ironside Daleks are sweet too, but I don't think its a 50th anniversary.
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and... ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..."

-11th Doctor
Calivano
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby werepuppy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Okay, I know it's been a little while since this topic was replied too, buuuut... the 11th Doctor Dynamix Vinyl Statue from Big Chief is now available for pre-order. I think Matt Smith comes across quite well in the animated form they use for these statues.
werepuppy
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Vetinari » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Hah yea I can see what you mean, if you like the style those Dynamix statues do look pretty neat. They're kinda similar to the IDW comics, and the price isn't horrific.

I'm still waiting for them to make Eight (and to see if it's any good) Big Chief's work has been of ...variable quality for the price! Their 11 and 10 were passable -but that 4... O.o I'm waiting to see the final product for 1 before judging, but between the prototype and production model the usual quality drop appears to have happened... sigh. (I'm not even going to mention the dire Sherlock figures ...oh oops I did)

Sadly Who-fans are a picky bunch when it comes to high-end merchandise; like those Mega-busts that were never released... Turns out they were relying on pre-sales to get the funds to actually produce the things - that wasn't made clear though, and they never got enough cash. It's a shame, cos their Eight was lovely. Sooo I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that Big Chief survives long enough to actually get around to Eight - but I suspect he's gonna be low down on their list... so it's probably unlikely. Especially since they bizarrely decided to make an Amy Pond before they did any other Doc after Eleven...

My War Doc/Eight head has remained boxed, alongside the Eight/Dalek Alpha set. I really should clear shelf space for them... I've run out of space to display stuff, though with the slow demise of the 5" line I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Night of the Doctor 8, and a representation of 12 in the old scale are made as an exclusive of some sort!

Hrmm suppose this is an appropriate place as any ...dayum after CD-gate (ie splurging horrifically and buying Most of the Big Finish audioplays that involve Eight/McGann in any way... :oops: ) I'm getting into the Dregs of what exists for Eight merchandise-wise. The remaining bits that I'm after include:
the various collected short stories, the 3 TELOS novellas that are purported to involve Eight,
the RT comics (probably impossible to get hold of), the IDW comics that mention the Time War (though I think Eight only features for a page or two in a flashback), the odd single non-Big Finish audio (that as far as I'm aware only has an official "hard-copy" release on casette of all things), and finally the one lone Virgin New Adventure. I'm more into collecting things that add to the story than photos/posters ...but I do also have plenty of figures, t-shirts etc. :oops: I've been a bit of a magpie over the years when it comes to Doctor Who merch that's related to McGann! :lol:

Damn though I shouldn't have waited on the TELOS Novellas - they've only gone up in price since I last looked for them, and actually I can't even find one of the three that I "need" for my collection of Eight-related stuff. (Though on the plus side I am extremely grateful that I picked up my copy of the DWM comics when I did - the 1st book in that collection can go for upwards of £90 nowadays, bloody scalpers, they're only paperback books - not really intended to be collectables - but the stories in them are among the best Eight tales I've come across so I can see why they're sought after...)
Crazy Mulitverse Crew: Drax, Jareth, Jerome, Elrana Milenkova, The Thin White Duke, Vasily Lupandin, Ramin Aiphos, Theta Sigma, Aiko Koyame, Lord Havelock Vetinari, Dr Nicholas Rush, Anon., Nyta Kinall, Otto Kreiner, That Demon, Sasu, Yaya, Ombre
...reshelling Szesil Markowski and Garan Idasson
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby werepuppy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:50 am

@Vetinari I'd offer to help you out in any way I could, but we're both UK based. Likelihood is if one of us can't find it cheap, the other hasn't got much chance. I will keep an eye out though; do you know the names of the novels/comics you're looking for?

I saw the 50th Anniversary Big Finish audio at Waterstones the other day; the limited edition version. I will own it, somehow.

Also, random, but does anyone know anywhere that's still selling War? I need him, 3 and 8 to complete my 5 inch 11 Doctors. (And I am hoping 12 gets a 5 inch figure)
werepuppy
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:59 am

I hope there will be a 5 inch 12 as well, I only get Doctors in that size. I've seen the occasional loose Doctors from the 11 figure pack turn up on US Ebay and Amazon so I'd guess War might be there too.

I get my Doctors from BigBadToyStore.com and I've seen Doctor stuff at EntertainmentEarth.com. Both are US companies but they'll probably ship international because they deal with all sorts of toys and stuff.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Vetinari » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Werepuppy: Thanks! It'd be great if you could keep an eye out! You never know; I've come across a couple in some unlikely places. Um the main one I'm having difficulty locating is: The Cabinet of Light, by Daniel O'Malony.

All the TELOS books are simple, slim, hardbound volumes in varying shades of blue and silver, if you scroll through the arrows on this page you'll see the list of books they made with photos: http://www.telos.co.uk/out-of-print/ The silvery ones are a really odd colour! Hell if you come across it I'd urge you to pick up a copy of Time and Relative by Kim Newman for yourself - it's a nice read. I've found the most likely place to come across them in person is often amongst the second hand tat/pawn your electronics shops that take in books and LP collections in bulk. I can locate copies of all of the other volumes I'm after in the series online (for varying levels of "affordable" to extortionate) but all that exists of Cabinet of Light is a (dodgy looking) audiobook.

(The comics are a more awkward prospect that involves 1) the internet - since the IDW comics were american-only releases, and 2) trawling through reference material to work out exactly which ancient backcopies of the Radio Times I need to pick up)

Hah yeah! I know your pain over that limited copy I feel the same way - but I shudder at that £50 pricetag! (Still better than the vinyl copy - I can't quite believe that it sold out with a pricetag of £200+ and that hideous badly photoshopped cover... I kinda want my LPs looking pretty since they're so big. You'd think for £200 a pop they'd have at least paid attention to things like human proportion on the sleeve art!)

Argh sadly I can't much help with War - as far as I know Forbidden Planet sold out pretty quickly, and they were the only stockist I knew of, people on GB were complaining bitterly about just how quickly he vanished. I'd suggest stalking Evilbay if you can't find him on one of the US sites Dollykim reccied, but that way scalpers lie.

Dollykim: Yea the 5" line dying off is a massive shame - I'm hoping that another more "limited" company will pick up the slack in a similar way to that old Torchwood line and the Forbidden Planet exclusives. Cos there are an awful lot of adult collectors twitching at their incomplete line-up of Doctors!

...I'm really not sure if my Eight collection means I have more or less merch to trawl through than your average Who/completist collector - I mean on the one hand I am focussed on only the one Doctor, and he only had one TV adventure (so no difficult to find vintage toys - kinda woo but kinda sad, the old Dapol line is adorable...) but on the other hand I strongly suspect that Eight has the most novels and obscure stories published in weird formats... (Not that they aren't often spectacular examples of scifi - let alone exceptional Doctor Who but sheesh - 80+ books, 80+ audios... Let alone the obscure things :? )
Crazy Mulitverse Crew: Drax, Jareth, Jerome, Elrana Milenkova, The Thin White Duke, Vasily Lupandin, Ramin Aiphos, Theta Sigma, Aiko Koyame, Lord Havelock Vetinari, Dr Nicholas Rush, Anon., Nyta Kinall, Otto Kreiner, That Demon, Sasu, Yaya, Ombre
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby DollyKim » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:03 am

I just saw a War Doctor on US Amazon for retail price. I don't know what shipping to the UK would be, or if they do it, but in the past I was able to order form Amazon Japan with no problems, just higher shipping, but that came out the same or a little less than I was getting ready to pay for some books.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Vetinari » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:16 pm

...Just seen the painted prototype photo of Capaldoc that Big Chief put up on their FB page. ...Um... I think I'm going to have to see a few more photos before judging it, weirdly if you look at the top half of his face it looks like him, and similarly the bottom half looks great... Just combined somehow the finished figure ...doesn't.

(Still don't think much of Big Chief's tailoring though, that shirt collar looks like something off of an Action Man/Barbie...)
Vetinari
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby DollyKim » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:13 am

You're right, the Wanted Action Figure version is a bit off too. A new paint job might fix that but CO Elebenty has beautiful skin. I reworked my Monty Python Dead Collector to be my Twelve and I like him well enough.

Image searches did turn up the Character Options sculpt, please be 5", and he looks better.

*There will be a Time of the Doctor 5" set with swapable heads like the War Doctor so hopefully they'll make a regular Twelve that size.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Misc Scale, Mixed Batches, Unique Materials