Go to footer

Sasha Doll

That is a dollieh?
OMG, THAT IS A DOLLIEHS? THOSE ARE ALL DOLLIEHS!

Sasha Doll

Postby cirquemom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:21 pm

It's okay to post "other than BJDs" here, right?
Anyway- I've always loved these Sasha Dolls. They came out just as I was going into high school- so not buying dolls anymore. Also they were too pricey- I never could have afforded one. But I always really liked them.
Anyway- suddenly for some reason I decided I had to have one, so I snagged one off of ebay. She came nude and no box. She is a Trendon Sasha, meaning made in England, probably in the 1980s.
She is 16 inches tall. It's a little strange dealing with a doll that can't bend her elbows or knees, though!

Sweet painted on face. I love her enigmatic expression. Apparently designed that way on purpose. Also the dark skin tone was on purpose, so children of all or at least most races could identify with her.

Mary the Doll~ New book by the author of Resin Life~ now available on amazon.com :
http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Doll-Wendy-R ... 300188200/Image
cirquemom
Snarky Princess

Re: Sasha Doll

Postby Greyhaunt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:09 pm

What an odd doll. I've never seen one of them before. Cool that you finally got one though :)
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby cirquemom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Kind of an interesting story: They were originally designed and made by a Swiss artist, Sasha Morgenthaler in her art studio. The were orginally made of I think cloth and "gypsum", whatever the heck that is (maybe like composition or something?). Being handmade they were super-expensive, though. So she decided to produce a line of plastic (vinyl) ones that were affordable. First they were made in Germany (from 1965 until 1968). After that, they were made in England (that's what mine is, they are known as "Trendon Sashas" because that's where the factory was) from 1966 until 1986. Then back to Germany from1995 until 2001. After that the design/molds were sold to an American Company but they were never produced.
"Affordable" is a matter of perspective. They would have been wayyyy too expensive for me when I was a little girl! I remember seeing them as a young adult (like in my 20s) and they were over $100 even back then. So....yes "affordable" if your parents happened to be wealthy.
However- again- expensive is a matter of perspective. I paid under $100 for her (I think she was about $80 or so- then with shipping and tax it was just about $100)- which in BJD land is cheap!

Just like BJDs, Sasha has fans all over the world and they all seem to know each other. There is a Sasha Festival every year- last year it was in England, and in 2010 it was in San Francisco (Drat!). If you get one of the early German models from the 1960s that is in mint condition you can pay over $5000 for it, so they are definitely collectable.
Mary the Doll~ New book by the author of Resin Life~ now available on amazon.com :
cirquemom
Snarky Princess

Postby Nella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:56 pm

I'd heard about this dolls before but never seen any pictures. She's quite pretty. Cost really is relative with dolls but under 100 sounds like a great price for her. :)
Nella
the walls have dolliehs

Postby cirquemom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks! And also- she is a strung doll, which makes posing a bit better than a regular doll.
cirquemom
Snarky Princess

Postby Lamia of the Dark » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 am

Hmm... she is cute but a bit odd-looking. I haven't seen a doll quite like that before.
I have so many dolls that I can't fit all their names in my signature anymore. @__@
Lamia of the Dark
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby absynthe1972 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 am

I think she's cute! I love her outfit.
My what big EYES you have!
absynthe1972
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby zirconmermaid » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:16 am

I have a lovely brunette one, got her a LONG time ago. I should bring her out and photograph her here for you. Gypsum is essentially plaster. It's also what the "Mary the doll" head you sent Gerald to mold is made out of.
It's all about Hazel!

"Space.... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Obitsurprise. Her 1/3rd scale mission: To seek out new plotlines, to explore the Whole Apartment - To Ball-Jointedly go where no doll has gone before!" -- Swan

Avatar by Meredith Dillman, http://www.meredithdillman.com
zirconmermaid
It's all about Hazel

Postby Lif » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:23 am

Never ever seen one tho The Netherlands is right between England and Germany from which this doll was seemingly traveling to various places of "birth". Shes a bit of an odd girl but shes quit cute in her own little way :)
BJD's:
Audrey: Soulkid Liddell
Molly: Bambicrony Ciao Roko
Blythe (clone)
Pip: Myserious Blythe clone
Other
Kuma: Toy Field Kuma bear (small)
Isaac: commercial cheapisch baby dolly (but extremely cute!)
Read about them: Spark-a-doodle
Lif
Dolly Pardon

Postby cirquemom » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks Lif - I wondered if you had ever seen one (or owned one) since you live in Europe and they were really more popular here. Even though they were "reasonably priced" - that was compared to the hand-made artist dolls. They were still pretty pricey!
I think they're really charming. Zircon- I would love to see yours- where did you get her? And I have found out they have a big Sasha Festival every year with about 125 people attending from all over. This year it is in Cincinnati.
cirquemom
Snarky Princess

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Misc Scale, Mixed Batches, Unique Materials