Go to footer

Miro Doll Box Opening (Many large pictures)

That is a dollieh?
OMG, THAT IS A DOLLIEHS? THOSE ARE ALL DOLLIEHS!

Miro Doll Box Opening (Many large pictures)

Postby Nella » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 pm

I had been meaning to get Druella, my Bobobie Pixie, a body that suited her characer more so when I saw Miro Doll Shop's 40% off special, I took the plunge. I had been planning on getting a head for practicing faceups, so I also bought head 08. I placed my order January 3rd and recieved the order February 25. It would've been even quicker to ship but they had to make a new mold for the head. Enough blather, on to the pictures!

The photo I took of the outer box didn't come out well, but the outer box had three layers of tape covering it. There was so much tape I couldn't see where to open it. Even though DHL was the courier, the brokerage fee and taxes were only 14$. The brokerage fee alone was 10$ but I was expecting worse after hearing some DHL fee horror stories. Miro Doll marked the value down, though I did not request that.

The inner box isn't flimsy but the magnets look rusted. I have seen this with other Miro Doll orders, so it wasn't a shock. The magnets aren't keeping the lid closed anymore.

The mini girl body was sent in a green soft bag.

There was a very strong scent of new resin when I opened the box and removed the plastic bag containing the body. Thankfully the scent disappaited quickly.

The resin is very smooth but the body overall looks unfinished. Miro Doll has a rapid turn-around time but the body will require more sanding to even out small nicks and white patchs.

The resin around the wrists is thinner and has more nicks in it.

The elastic is strung through a hole in the hands, like my Bobobie 27cm tiny. These holes were roughly carved and will have to be sanded more smoothly.

The hole on the right hand was done even more roughly than the left one. There is a sharpy gouge in resin and the hole is much larger.

There is a large white patch on the palm of the hand on the right. There is also another white area around the belly button.

This is a comparision of the Bobobie 3-part mature mini girl body, on the left, and the Miro Doll 1/4 single-jointed girl body on the right. The MiroDoll body is shorter with more muscle definition and larger hands. The elastic is very poor and interferes with posing. Good thing I bought a new stringing kit!

I don't have time to string my hybrid together, but here is the Bobobie Pixie head sitting just above the body. The resin match is wonderful, with my 2008 head being a bit yellower than the pale, pinkish resin of MiroDoll. A more recent Bobobie or Resinsoul would match even better.

Now on to the head I bought! My intention was, as I said above, to get a head for practicing faceups on. I figured that if the body didn't work for hybriding, then it would still get a head. However neither the 1/4 girl head or the 1/4 boy head appealed to me. I crossed my fingers and hoped that the 1/3 head 08 was just a typo, as it cost the same as the 1/4 head not the 60cm heads.

It's 1/3 scale after all, but look at the smile! The head was in this plastic bag at the foot of the body bag. The foam wrapper covered it as seen in one of the earlier photos in this thread.

The head is more finished than the body. There are 4 little white dots near the back of the head, towards the head cap.

The head cap is held on by one magnet. The only company mark is a number written in Sharpie inside the head. The inside of the head was carved out roughly. While this doesn't affect putting in eyes, I plan to smooth it out anyway. I don't want to have to clean out putty and dirt out from all the little grooves.

The head is wearing 16mm eyes and a 7-8 Dollheart wig in this photo. That stash of extra eyes and wigs sure came in handy for figuring out what to put on him. The wig just fits him, so I believe that he would normally take 8-9inch wigs. His large ears made it so the 8-9 wig I tried on him didn't fit properly, but that was probably due to the style of wig.

His profile.

It was the smile that made me pick this head and even though he isn't the size I was hoping for, I really like how he looks. You can also see in this photo how the eyes are slightly different shapes and how one eye sits farther back than the other.

I couldn't resist putting the head just above the Bobobie body. Even though this boy head is blank, he's already inspiring another character. Oh great, looks like I'm going to be making another hybrid. ;)

Overall, for the extremely low price I got the body and head for, the quality is acceptable. I spent just under 100$, and with shipping my order was closer to 115$. The body works for the head it was bought for but I will have to sand it so that it looks more finished. The hands, due to the stringing method, will likely have a very limited range of poses, which make require modification or outright replacement. The elastic is very poor and be replaced. The head, which was not on sale, has personality and only a few minor flaws such as the eyes and strange dots.

As for customer service, Miro Doll Shop is excellent. They are quick to answer emails and the employee who answers the emails has a wonderful grasp of English. They have a rapid turn-around rate for orders but this means that their products aren't sanded to usual degree.
Nella
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Miro Doll Box Opening (Many large pictures)

Postby PopularFizzyDrink » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Very interesting to see how MiroDoll sends out its products. I love changing hands so I think I'd be a bit disappointed by the way the hands are strung, but that's just me. And I adore his smile! I really like smiling dolls, and haven't seen as many male ones.
Congratulations and hope you have a wonderful time making these dolls and dolly-parts truly yours!
PopularFizzyDrink
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Kae915 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 pm

his head reminds me of the troll face x3
Because skittles are overrated.
Kae915
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Nella » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 am

PopularFizzyDrink wrote:Very interesting to see how MiroDoll sends out its products. I love changing hands so I think I'd be a bit disappointed by the way the hands are strung, but that's just me. And I adore his smile! I really like smiling dolls, and haven't seen as many male ones.
Congratulations and hope you have a wonderful time making these dolls and dolly-parts truly yours!

Thank you! Customising is one of my favourite things to do but I've never sanded resin before. I'd love if the hands were more poseable but I'm used to my dolls having limited mobility there. I love smiling dolls too and it's nice to have male smiling head that looks more like a guy.

Kae915 wrote:his head reminds me of the troll face x3

You have a point. I didn't see it before but now I can't unsee it. :lol:
Nella
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Misc Scale, Mixed Batches, Unique Materials