Go to footer

Nylon/polyamide 3D printed safe cleaners?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Nylon/polyamide 3D printed safe cleaners?

Postby DollyKim » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:33 am

I'll go a bit old school and ask what cleaning products are safe to use on Nylon? (being the brand name for a polyamide plastic)

My 3D printed guy has a bit of a tooth and he's a bit grey where he's been touched. He's had a soap and water bath with a tooth brush which only worked a bit. He's my first 3D printed anything so...

Saw an online video to use Vanish with Oxi Clean, would any general plastic safe cleaner work then?
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: Nylon/polyamide 3D printed safe cleaners?

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:55 am

I'll see if I can find the posts on the Makies forum where people have tried different cleaners - I've so far found a mention that Dr Bronners soap and a wet magic eraser works. I know acetone is safe in the short term - I soaked a spare leg part over night with no ill effects even months after. As he seems to be made from the same stuff as Makies you can also put him in the dishwasher. Make Labs also suggest just soapy water and a scrubbing brush.

I think I mentioned earlier but sanding really changes the surface and impedes dye intake, so I'd only sand as a very last resort if you ever plan on dyeing him - and he should dye very well with Rit dye. Magic eraser appears to be fine enough not to have this effect, but I'd still take care.

I think bleach is safe, but I'd need to find my bag of bits to test it.
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:42 am

I don't want to sand him or dye, I'm hoping to get the grime off then rub powdered pastels in to him before sealing. The big thing is making sure he won't melt.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Eseme » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:24 am

Oh wow, Makies take dye? That is cool to know. I wish the heads were a bit smaller, for my tastes. But for making that awesomely colored character, it is good to know of an option other than Monster High, which has a very specific look.

Thanks!

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:43 am

For my raw printed guy a toothbrush and baking soda did a good job. Wouldn't do it after he's finished though.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Eseme wrote:Oh wow, Makies take dye? That is cool to know. I wish the heads were a bit smaller, for my tastes. But for making that awesomely colored character, it is good to know of an option other than Monster High, which has a very specific look.

Thanks!

Eseme

Sadly, it's now only the Makie heads that take dye (and the boy torsos for a while) - they're injection moulding the bodies to reduce cost. You might find some of the old 3D printed ones on eBay or on the Makies Facebook page.
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks