Go to footer

Partial Jointed Hands Guide-VERY VERY image heavy-in progres

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Partial Jointed Hands Guide-VERY VERY image heavy-in progres

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

I think it's safe to say that I'm a jointed hands fanatic! Currently I have 9 different pairs and I have 12 - 1/3rd size dolls. 7 boys and 5 girls so I figured I'd put together as much info as I could on what I have for people that are looking for info on what jointed hands fit what dolls.

Everyone out there is welcome to add to this thread. Feel free to show any of your jointed hands with your dolls to help people see what fits well.

I'll be updating this as I get new items. Currently I'm waiting on 2 more girl bodies and 3 pairs of jointed hands, although one of those pairs might be the same as an unidentified pair that I have right now.

Oh, before I show what I have, I thought I'd list what brands of jointed hands that I know of that are available out there. If I missed anything, please let me know so I can add it to the list:
A Long Time (1/3 and 1/4 boy)
Angel studio (70cm male only)
Dika Doll
Doll Family
Doll Leaves
Doll Zone
Dragon Doll (70cm male only)
Fect Doll (female 1/3, 1/4 only)
Granado (70cm male only)
Heisejinyao (1/3 boy with nails only)
Illusion Spirit
Island Doll (70cm only)
Loong Soul
Popo Doll (70cm male only)
Ring Doll (70cm male only)
Shine Doll
Soom (60cm only)

A few notes:
- I don't know why, but the 2 pair of male of Dika Doll hands I bought were 2nd hand and listed as normal yellow, but the 1/3rd size pair are waaaay yellower than the 70cm pair. The 70cm looks a bit pinkish to me.
- The pair that I list as Dika Doll 1/3rd female I bought 2nd hand unidentified. I'm not certain if they are Dika Doll or not, or what color they are. They are not the same color as either of the male Dika hands.
- My finished dolls are all blushed and while most of the bodies don't have their skin fully covered with another color, their overall appearance looks pretty different just from the shading so you can't necessarily do resin color comparisons well against my pieces that are blushed. My Feeple65 body in particular is fully blushed another color while I was trying to match it with the Elfdoll head.
- The Doll Family-H 1/3 female hands are completely blushed a different color because I was trying to match it to the blushing of the Feeple body, but I accidentally blushed them waaay too dark. So that pair is no good for any color comparison at all.

The hands that I currently have and will review here:
Dika Doll 70cm normal yellow
Loong Soul male normal yellow
Ring Doll normal Skin
Soom normal skin
Dika Doll 1/3 male normal yellow
Loong Soul female normal pink
Doll Family-H
Dika Doll 1/3 female? (I think, but I'm not completely sure)
Illusion Spirit 1/4 MSD white skin

And the dolls I'll be matching them with for comparison:
Immortality of Soul 80cm boy
Iplehouse EID male and female
Iplehouse SID
Soom Idealian male
Soom Mecha Angels male and female
Ring Doll Grown boy
Loong Soul Grace size male and female
Fairyland Feeple65 girl
New Territories 1/3 girl

So first, the hands that are best scaled for male dolls and their finger width splay abilities. You'll see the Soom hands can't spread out very far and the Ring Doll hands not at all. Loong Soul has the best flexibility range, but Dika Doll is pretty good too:

And the female hands. I put the Dika Doll 1/3rd male in there because they are the right scale for some of the larger female dolls.

Other dolls and pieces that will be added later when I receive them:
Granado nuevo female body
Illusion Spirit 1/3 female jointed hands
Doll Family-H 1/3 male hands
Dika Doll female 1/3rd female hands (this one is definite and I can compare it with the pair I have that I think is the same brand)
Last edited by Dirili on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Partial Jointed Hands Guide-VERY VERY image heavy-in pro

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Now for specifics on each individual pair, I'm going to go from largest to smallest for males, then largest to smallest for females.

For each pair I show how far back the fingers can bend, how well the fingers curl with the thum tucked and untucked, and I show an overall pic of them on the dolls so you can get an idea of how the hands look scale-wise with different models and then a close up to either compare how the doll's original hand size is next to the jointed hand and/or to show how the ball of the hand fits in the wrist joint (or doesn't).

First up:
Dika Doll 70cm normal yellow hands
For Iplehouse EIDs and Soom Idealians you definitely need 70cm size hands. 1/3rd size hands are too small on the wrist balls which means that the hands can't pose well because the edges of the hand hit the edges of the wrist hole when you try to bend them. Other companies make them but Dika and Loong Soul are the only 2 that I have in this size right now. Scale-wise they are great for some other taller dolls as well and even if the ball is proportionally too big for the wrist-hole, that does not cause any posing limitations.

Although the Dika hands look paler than the Iplehouse boy in this picture, it's actually a pretty good match. It's just that my blushing makes the body look darker. I put the Soom jointed hand in there for color comparison although it's kind of hard to see the difference in this pic....

For Ring Dolls and Mecha Angels, these hands are a bit bigger than their default hands, they are still a pretty good match scale-wise.

Immortality of Soul's 80cm boys are so big that even the Dika 70cms look slight small to scale, but it works somewhat. They are about the same size as Loong Soul's boy hands although the wrist ball is a bit bigger.

For Iplehouse SIDs, the wrist ball fits well, but the hands are a bit big. But if you like your boys with big hands... hehe
Last edited by Dirili on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Loong Soul male 70cm normal yellow jointed hands

These are a personal favorite of mine partly because of the extra thumb pad joint that adds a bit of extra mobility, but they also have the widest finger spread capabilities as well. They only thing is that they lack definition in the finger shaping. Soom for instance has a lot of nice detail in the finger shapes but they don't have as much range. Dika doll has a medium amount of detail and pose pretty well. I think the female version of these hands may actually be the same size, just without the veins.

Pretty good on scale for both EIDs and Idealians. Loong Soul's normal yellow and normal pink are pretty pale though:

Oddly the Dika hands look more on scale with Ring and Mecha Angel dolls even they they are about the same size. The wrist balls don't look so great in the sockets of these 2, but they will still function just fine.

Pretty good match in size for IOS 80!

Like Dika, these are a bit big for an SID, but again, if you like big hands on your boys they can work:
Last edited by Dirili on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:47 pm

Ring Doll jointed hands

Ring Doll hands are nearly as long as Dika and Loong Soul, but they are very narrow and slender. So they are particularly well suited to tall thin dolls. The wrist ball is very small, even smaller than a lot of the other smaller hands, so they don't fit a lot of the bigger dolls. Because of the mostly cylindrical sculpt of the fingers with straight cuts, the posing is very limited at the knuckles in particular, but the fingers actually look really nice in various partially curled positions. They can look rather elegant.

Although they look like they might have been a nice size match for EIDs, the wrist ball is waaay small for both them and Idealians. It looks terrible. IDs look way too beefy for the narrow hands though imo. I think my EID being clothed makes him look a bit thinner because I think these 2 are actually equally muscular.

Too small in all ways for the IOS 80, but a pretty nice match for the LS Grace body! Although the since the wrist ball is actually a ball instead of more cone shaped, the edges of the wrist hole really stand out.

Yes yes, I know the wrong hand is on the arm, but I was lazy and I wanted to change hands as few times as possible, so that was the hand that was off at the time. Doesn't interfere with seeing scale and fit though. It's a great match! Mecha Angel boys are so tall and thin that the narrow slender Ring Doll hands are perfect fit. RD's resin is a bit darker and yellower than Soom's NS though unfortunately. May be good to buy the hands in white and blush them to match Soom. Also, Soom's jointed hands are offered so rarely while Ring Doll's jointed hands are always available. (I think)

Both too long and too thin for Iplehouse SIDs, not to mention the teensy wrist ball sitting in that gaping Iplehouse wrist hole hehe.
Last edited by Dirili on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Soom normal skin jointed hands

When I first started to pursue jointed hands, I thought that Soom's version was the end all be all. They are beautifully detailed with a lot of character, but they have a lot of limitations. They are the most expensive jointed hands out there, offered the most infrequently. The fingers don't spread very wide and they don't close very tightly. But they are a bit more versatile than the Ring Doll hands and like them, can still strike some very elegant and characteristic poses.

Although size is a bit small for EIDs and IDs, it might have been passable if the wrist ball had been a bit larger, but they are way too small for the sockets of either doll to be feasible.

Too small for IOS 80s in every way, but great for Loong Soul Grace sized boy! Matches him even better than his own Loong Soul hands.

Great match for Ring Dolls Grown as well! RD's resin is a bit dark too so the Soom hands could be blushed to match without having to blush the body.

For Iplehouse SID, hand proportion is good, but again, wrist ball is too small for the wrist socket.
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Dika Doll 1/3rd male normal yellow jointed hands

Again, for some reason even though I was told that my Dika Doll 70cm pair was also normal yellow, this pair is waaaay yellower than the other one is. Don't know if one of the sellers gave me the wrong info or what... This pair I bought very cheaply 2nd hand because they are a mismatched pair. One has veins and the other doesn't, but they are exactly the same otherwise. These are the smallest pair of male oriented hands although they do work well for some of my larger female dolls as well so I will show them on the girls too. Conversely, some of the girl hands might actually work on the boys, but I haven't taken pictures of those. Just doing this much took a reaaaally long time.

I didn't bother taking pics of these hands with the EID and Idealian because they are way too small for either so I didn't really think it was necessary.

The wrist fits well on both Ring Doll Grown and Soom Mecha Angel, but they are a bit iffy scale-wise. A little bit too small for my taste, but others might feel it's not a bad size difference.

Waaaay way too tiny for IOS 80, but I thought I'd throw that in for the hell of it lol. It fits the LS Grace boy. I mostly like the fit but looks just very slightly too small to me. That's up to you all to decide.

Poor Iplehouse SID... none of my hands are the right size for him scale-wise or for his wrist-sockets. These are too small for him in both respects.
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Now for the laaaadies! woot woot! What up girls?
All the female hands I have are pretty flexible. None have horribly bad limitations.

Starting with:

Loong Soul female normal pink jointed hands

I think that these just might actually be the same as the male version just without the veins. Because of this, for the most part they are too big for all but the tallest of the ladies. The fingers aren't as slender as I personally would like for a woman's hands either, but still their posing ability can't be beat, so I love them on any doll that can pull them off. It's just too bad that you can only buy a pair when you purchase a doll, or you can buy a pair for a doll that you had purchased from Loong Soul in the past. Or if you're lucky, you could find a 2nd hand pair to buy.

Like I said, a bit too big for smaller girls as my New Territories girl and Fairyland Feeple65s here. The balls are even too large for the wrist, but you don't mind the size, they will still pose just fine this way.

I somehow managed to forget to take a full body scale comparison pic for these hands with my Mecha Angel and Iplehouse EID girls... and I really don't want to go back and do a bunch of hand switching again, so hopefully this pic is good enough for anyone that wants to see these particular matches. These hands work well for both dolls on scale and in the wrist slot. Both sculpts original hands are pretty fleshed out, so these aren't even that different thickness-wise.
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Dika doll 1/3 male normal yellow

These are the mismatched pair I bought at a discount. One with veins, the other without. I'll remove the veins on the one later. Although they are labled for male use, they also work well for a number of female sculpts, especially if they don't have veins. The fingers are actually a nice thickness, whereas some companies' female 1/3rd hands can have pretty thick and stubby fingers.

The stats picture is listed earlier in the thread, so I'm only going to list the body comparisons here:

They are pretty decent for both NT and Feeple65. Maybe a teensy bit large but they would definitely work if you would like them to. You can see it's slightly larger than NT doll's normal size hand. My Feeple's hands are put away somewhere because I've had a pair of jointed hands on her for a while now.

A bit too small for Mecha Angels. There's a bit of a mobility limitation beacause of the small wrist ball. Iplehouse EID Is a pretty decent match and should work well with them.

Pretty good match for Loong Soul's Grace girl bodies too! I feel like LS's female jointed hands are a teensy bit large anyway, so a smaller pair looks good on her.
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Doll Family-H 1/3 female jointed hands (blushed)

I totally overblushed these hands trying to match them to a particular doll. They are a totally different color than they were originally so they can't be used at all for color comparison, so don't even try. The one thing that bugs me about these hands for some reason is that the ball of the thumb sticks out a little too much. Makes it look kind of squared off. Other than that, they are pretty nice. They do have a pretty good femaninity to them, but not a whole lot of detail in the sculpt. Very straight fingers. I liked them a lot when I first got them, but then when I got other hands to compare them too they dropped down the list a bit.

Fairly good match for New Territories and Fairyland Feeple65. I keep this pair on the later of the two. You can see how badly I missed the color matching T_T I screwed up painting in bad lighting. They might be slightly large for either girl depending on your taste.

Good size for Mecha Angel and Iplehouse EID as well! Seems like they are pretty versatile size-wise.

And another winner with my Loong Soul Grace girl. These would be a nice, more feminine alternative:
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:57 pm

Dika Doll 1/3 female???

I bought these 2nd hand and have no information on them whatsoever. My best guess is that they are Dika Doll 1/3rd female hands but if they are, I have no idea about the resin colors as they do not match either of the Dika boy hands I have. If anyone else thinks these are a different brand, please let me know. I do have a pair that is definitely Dika 1/3rd female on the way, so if they match I'll have the identity of this pair confirmed.

Whatever the identity of these hands, they have really lovely long and slender fingers. They don't have a tight grip, but that also means that the fingers don't have a hard time holdling poses. they don't snap straight or closed. They are great for a more delicate girl. I would definitely like to get more of these, especially if the Illusion Spirit hands aren't as dreamy as they look in pictures. Only problems is their wrist balls are a bit small... so even though they scale well with lots of dolls, they don't always sit well in the wrist cups.

NT Doll and Feeple65, pretty nice size for either doll, but the hands sit in just slightly too much which limits the movement of the hands on the wrists just a bit. It's livable though.

Too small for Mecha Angel but not a bad size for EID. Unfortunately the wrist ball is too small for either doll :(

Teensy bit small for Loong Soul Grace size, if it wasn't for the wrist ball being too small it might have been an off, but passable match.
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'