Go to footer

Question for Bronies, what should I do with this?

Raise your hand if you have action figures, movie based toys, model tanks etc... Yea, this place is for you!

Question for Bronies, what should I do with this?

Postby kiki-chan78 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Okay, while I was cleaning in my future studio space I ran across some Pony stuff from the mid 80's. A good chunk of the 'usable' stuff was handed off to PR_Gerry for her to use with her dolls... but this was sitting out of sight.

Only thing that I've done is *move* the waterfall to a higher shelf to photograph, and put it's pony (and duck) with it. I think this is from 1984? The pony's cutie mark looks like it's in decent shape; but I'm not sure if the crud on the pony will come off. The white on the waterfall is toast, but the sticker is still good (how the heck did THAT manage to happen?).

On the fan-club stuff the envelope looks terrible, but everything else is in GREAT shape (surprised me). I think only the charm and poster are the only things missing from that set. o.O;;;

So, for people who know more about MLP than I do, suggestions on what should be done with these:

Yar... should I get rid of 'as-is', clean up, or paint? Cuz seriously, I really don't know what the optimum course of action should be in this instance. o.O;;;

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Re: Question for Bronies, what should I do with this?

Postby Kd_Bunchanumbers » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:03 am

Personally I would just sell it as is if you have no idea how pony stuff works, because there's a lot of experienced vintage pony lovers who'd probably have a conniption if something went wrong.

I think a light scrub with soap and water to clean it up a tad would be best. General feeling I get from the pony collectors about the 80s ponies is to try preserving as much of the stuff as possible unless it's ZOMG HORRIBLE, which this isn't.

I'm pretty sure there's others who are much more versed in the vintage ponies..
Kd_Bunchanumbers
the walls have dolliehs

Postby KatyaR » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 pm

MLP Arena Might check here for cleanup suggestions (there are plenty!) or find someone who's looking for one if you don't decide to keep it.
KatyaR
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby skookum hime » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Kd_Bunchanumbers wrote:Personally I would just sell it as is if you have no idea how pony stuff works, because there's a lot of experienced vintage pony lovers who'd probably have a conniption if something went wrong.

I think a light scrub with soap and water to clean it up a tad would be best. General feeling I get from the pony collectors about the 80s ponies is to try preserving as much of the stuff as possible unless it's ZOMG HORRIBLE, which this isn't.

I'm pretty sure there's others who are much more versed in the vintage ponies..

Ditto this.
Though just using a magic eraser would be a good way to see how bad it really is.
skookum hime
Dolly Pardon

Postby SillyLilPuppet » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:06 pm

There's some people on MLPArena that have had a little success in whitening up the old playsets with Oxyclean or similar, but that'd be tricky to do without soaking the stickers and such. Maybe a thick pasty mix of it patted on carefully?
<>My Tumblr<>My Etsy<>Come chat!<>
Too many dolls, I give up.
SillyLilPuppet
Dolly Pardon

Postby SuniMoon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Well, I think the best option would be to give it to me. :) Nah, just kidding... Definitely poke into MLP arena.
Cause I would just clean it up and sell it, and you can find the safe ways to clean them there.

I can't tell if that poor thing is moldy or not, but since this is the MLP waterfall we're talking about... D;
Eeep, that thing PROMOTED getting yer poor pony on moldy....
Magic Eraser that pony, pronto, just steer clear of it's eyes and marks, cause it will rub those off too, like with everything else. (Though, it does take some vigorous scrubbing for a magic eraser to mess up those eyes.)
If you're going to actually bathe it, do so with Dawn.

I dunno about the waterfall though, it looks preeetty nasty.
SuniMoon

Postby Lily » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:02 am

NOT a brony, but you don't want a brony for advice on vintage pony stuff anyway. ;)

I would definitely go the the Arena and poke around looking for advice.

The pony and playset have a bad case of smooze. If she and the playset are just dirty, a good clean will do them nothing but good. Use a toothbrush and soap and water. :)

If it's mould, something easy that might work? Wet wipes. Seriously. Just wipe her all over.

If that doesn't don't work, the best thing to do is to a) scrub under hot water and/or b) soak in diluted (1:10) bleach or even vinegar to try and remove/soften/kill the mould. It may risk lightening her marks, and you'll have to wash and condition her hair afterwards (mind you, I'd do that anyway), but it can't really make her worse. And if it's mould, it will spread. Like others have said, Magic Eraser might sand off the mould, but be careful you don't sand off anything you want to keep!

Acetone (even just plain nail polish remover) does wonders to clean ponies, but don't let it anywhere near her eyes or marks or anything painted!

Good luck with saving the little darling and her rainbow. This is what you're working towards. :)
Lily
i see dead dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Other Toys