Go to footer

Absolute best paints to use for Obitsu heads?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Absolute best paints to use for Obitsu heads?

Postby Linainversetsg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 pm

I've got a few dolls planned that i hope to get started on after the holidays.
I had originally planned to go with Liquitex as i had heard it was nice for Obitsu dolls, but while browsing a thread on another forum the poster mentioned that no other paints really settled well on Vinyl and it seemed like it was forever tacky and sticky. I made that mistake once already with a custom doll and would like to avoid a repeat.
She suggested a paint that's fairly toxic and "bonds" with the vinyl. I don't really want to use something like that so i'm wondering if someone who has done a lot of custom obitsus could tell me what in their experience was the best paint brand to use on them.

Thank you!
Linainversetsg
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Absolute best paints to use for Obitsu heads?

Postby Evelien » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:17 am

I don't think the brand of (acrylic!!) paint really matters as long as you seal the head before, in between and after with MSC, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong..?
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Jany » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:12 am

I'd think so, too ... I had to paint one of my little ones' entire face after adding her mods, I used "Hobby Line" acrylic paint (it's the basic stuff german craft shops carry), and it dried nice and smoothly. It's been on for a year and a half and shows no signs of damage of any kind. The face-ups themselves were done with pastels only since I'm no good with paintbrushes at all. ^^°
There's a cat in "complicated" =^.^=
Jany
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Yanagi-sen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:54 am

'Craft' acrylics aren't the best choice, they have more filler and less pigment. Personally I prefer powdered pastels and watercolor pencils.

Here is a list of suggested materials:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Linainversetsg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:35 pm

I did see the list, but my problem with it is that it doesn't specify which supplies are best for which type of doll, vinyl and resin are very different so what might work like a dream on resin could be difficult with vinyl.
I'll try just finding a good artist grade one and go with carefully sealing then.
Thanks!
Linainversetsg
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 pm

You pretty much use the same materials for both resin and vinyl. :) You just might want to seal the vinyl head better with MSC before you start, to avoid staining.
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby pigeonweed » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:04 pm

You should be okay using either Liquitex Basic acrylics or Golden acrylics if you want to work with paint. I've used them for my Obitsu girls and they look great even years later.

As long as you use MSC, it's easy to erase previous face ups if you wanted to start over.
pigeonweed
i see dead dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks