Go to footer

Why MSC?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Why MSC?

Postby landwhale » Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 am

Kirahfaye wrote:This weekend I was looking forward to experimenting with the Vallejo spray that I got from JS, unfortunately it arrived with a leak in the base. So I'll have to wait to share my thoughts. I'm done with MSC. I'm worried that despite all my precautions it might be the cause of the constant cough I've had for months now.

Yes! Breathing MSC is terrible for you. I can attest to this after my weekend stint of faceups. I had ordered a fullface respirator but UPS messed up and now it's on backorder at Home Depot. I used a disposable dust mask but that doesnt help at all. Please be careful everyone. If you are using MSC, do get a respirator. I should just suck it up and get a normal half-face one. Cost about 30 bucks or so.
Obitsu 27cm Meryl, Lilly, Rhea, Stacey, Llywen, Lara, Aili
BJD Peyton (Non-official sculpt Happy D.I.M.), Un-named FL Chicline Lishe
RS/BBB Li(Ziili), Wu(Ba'ul), Yao. DikaDoll Rena(Lael)
CH Bisou Pepe (Charlie), CH Junior Ren (Allen), Obitsu 60cm Gretel (Cerise)
http://invie-alamode.blogspot.com/
landwhale
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby AppleMintPie » Mon May 23, 2011 10:17 am

MSC is definitely worth it. It creates a sort of tiny rough pore texture that catches up pastel dust as Dark Angel already mentioned and it doesn't smell! Well, when you spray it it does but the smell fades once it's dry, I had a lot of trouble with smelly coaters back then >_< It's matte. Even if you spray more layers (thin layers) it stays matte. Some of my doll have six layers of MSC and they don't shine. It's..strong? O_o It's very durable and doesn't scratch off easily. I'm using one can of MSC for 3 years now and there's still enough left! And there also is a UV cut MSC that protects your doll from yellowing on the sun.
I'll stick with Mr. SUPER CLEAR ^-^
¿ Habla Español?
AppleMintPie
i see dead dolliehs

Postby OkamiKodomo » Thu May 26, 2011 4:21 pm

Wow, I forgot to come back here and check out what replies I got. Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll probably use Testors for the underlying work, and finish with MSC, since it's not as easy to get my hands on.
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Evelien » Fri May 27, 2011 7:07 am

I just received my first ever can of MSC and I can't wait to try faceupping my little Obitsu Nano Haruka, BUT it's been raining a few hours ago and I've heard that you can't use MSC when the air is too humid. How will I know if it is..? :?
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Biff » Sun May 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Evelien wrote:I just received my first ever can of MSC and I can't wait to try faceupping my little Obitsu Nano Haruka, BUT it's been raining a few hours ago and I've heard that you can't use MSC when the air is too humid. How will I know if it is..? :?

You could probably check weather.com for the % for your area, but I don't know the exact weather requirements. However, I suspect it'd be similar to spray paint.
Biff
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby twiddle66 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:34 pm

I spray MSC when it is humid or raining--in our basement with the dehumidifier running. I let the dehumidfeir run for an hour or so. I also DO use a great niosh organic half mask respirator mask from 3M---DO NOT USE ANY SPRAYS indide without wearing one.

These chemicals are NOT GOOD on lung tissue. MSC is perfectly safe and EXTREMELY durable once dry--but the vapors are CAUSTIC to your lungs. they were never meant to be breathed in.

The mask is a 6000 series half mask from 3M with replaceable filters and even came with an extra set and was only $27.00 from Amazon.com--Thats less than two cans of MSC for me and so important.

I even wear the mask when I spray outdoors.

MSC stinks up my basement Briefly---if you have pets do NOT spray it in your aprtment. If you do not have pets / children/ or family living with you, you can put down a plastic drop cloth/wear a mask/ do your spraying- give the head about 5 minutes to dry and then open up the windows and in 15 minutes you will not be able to tell anything was sprayed.

When you can spray out doors do it--I only use this procedure when I must due to rain or humidity.

I have never seen the white film or haze issues with MSC except once when I cleaned a face with 99% alchohol and then did not rinse and dry it off properly before spraying MSC.

So the alcohol residue, more than the spray, seemed to be the culprit--and it was not a humid day.

I know if you do not wait enough time between coats with other sprays you can get that white haze--but MSC dries SO FAST that I have even resprayed after only 10 minutes on a dry day and had no issues.

What I like best about MSC is that it is extremely flat, extremely durable in the long run when handled (and I like to play with my dolls), and is easy to work with-giving predictable results.

It's a professional painters dream.

Yes-its harder to find- yes- it costs a bit more -- And YES--it is BETTER than anything else.

The ONLY issue you MUST take into consideration is the health of your lungs---prepare yourself with a good mask---and don't think only MSC can cause respiratoey illness.

Testors/ Krylon/ any paint spray or vapor that is solvent based can cause respiratory damage and nervous system disorders . There is nothing special about MSC on that score.

One of the first things they teach you at Academy or Art Schools is to protect yourself from solvents. Solvents do wonderful things for our creative worlds--but they are NOT meant to be taken into our bodies.

$27 for a respirator mask that will last for YEARS with only occasional replacement of inexpensive filters is a NO BRAINER! Why would anyone question the value of one.
Last edited by twiddle66 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
twiddle66
i see dead dolliehs

Postby twiddle66 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Sorry for my typos in the previous message--I am in a hurry and have to go out and do not have time to edit right now.

OK- it is the nest morning and I just went back and fixed my typos in the previous post out of consideration for you fine folks!
Last edited by twiddle66 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
twiddle66
i see dead dolliehs

Postby K2! » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 pm

A note on respirators.
The cartridges that are part of every respirator do their job by absorbing the chemicals they are designed to protect you against. These cartridges are "always on", even when you are not wearing them. In order to maximize your respirators' cartridge life, when you are finished using the respirator you should remove the cartridges from the respirator and store them in a plastic bag, especially if you aren't going to be using the respirator for a while.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Dreamy Doll » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:45 am

-=-
Last edited by Dreamy Doll on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
.................~~~~~~~~~~
..Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop off your head
............Chop chop chop chop
.............The last man's dead!
..............~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dreamy Doll
BANNED

Postby kiki-chan78 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:48 am

OkamiKodomo wrote:Wow, I forgot to come back here and check out what replies I got. Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll probably use Testors for the underlying work, and finish with MSC, since it's not as easy to get my hands on.

Please don't mix and match sealers. They don't always place nicely with each other. Either use Testors all the way, or use MSC all the way.

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks