Go to footer

Why MSC?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Why MSC?

Postby twiddle66 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:48 am

Sure- Here is a link to the one I bought. ;) It has gone up 44 cents since I bought it =

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4EB/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

K2- thats a great point about storing the cartridges in sealed bags!---they come in sealed bags to start-- and they are detachable from the mask so you can just pop them off after working and pop them on when needed.

It's pretty magical when you use these masks and spray because you can not even smell the odor of the spray while spraying---and you can't smell cut grass as you mow either--all you smell is fresh air! FUN :lol:
twiddle66
i see dead dolliehs

Postby mica » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:08 am

This is very helpful and stresses importance of safety.
I have seen many a youtube of people not using anything and joking about it.
As for me, I have yet to do any sealing because I am afraid it will change that smooth soft feeling I love of Anakin's resin.
Last edited by mica on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerryth- Delilah Noir Dark and Defiant
Anakin- Goodreau Schemer
Robin- Impdoll Bobo
Willow- Hujoo Suve........Bran- Hujoo Suve
Atrus- Domuya Venturo......Miriana- Delf EL
Riven- Dollzone Yuu
mica
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby Greyhaunt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:20 pm

Dreamy Doll wrote:
twiddle66 wrote:$27 for a respirator mask that will last for YEARS with only occasional replacement of inexpensive filters is a NO BRAINER! Why would anyone question the value of one.

I could find 3M Half Facepiece Respirator 6000 Series, Reusable, Medium, but that's $7.75...
and 3M 6900 Large Full Facepiece Respirator 6000 Series, Reusable for $109.69
I can't seem to find the $27 one you're talking about (also: is it half or full facepiece?) could you please give us a link...?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=half+face+respirator&_sacat=0
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby K2! » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:38 pm

A lot of the respirators shown on ebay do not include cartridges. If you purchase a respirator make sure it includes cartridges. You want cartridges for organic vapors (black or olive color code). You also want prefilters. Prefilters will catch paint particles and dust, which the OV cartridge will not.

http://northsafety.com/DocumentConsoleS ... 7280050618
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Dreamy Doll » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 am

K2! wrote:A lot of the respirators shown on ebay do not include cartridges. If you purchase a respirator make sure it includes cartridges. You want cartridges for organic vapors (black or olive color code). You also want prefilters. Prefilters will catch paint particles and dust, which the OV cartridge will not.

http://northsafety.com/DocumentConsoleS ... 7280050618

but umm... if you just want it to protect you from "everything" (well, MOSTLY everything, i mean, within reason -- assuming you don't work for the CDC or handle nuclear stuff etc) what respirator & filter(s) would you get? is there any one combination that works for "everything"; organic/inorganic/dirt/dust/paint/solvents/caustic fumes/...
.................~~~~~~~~~~
..Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop off your head
............Chop chop chop chop
.............The last man's dead!
..............~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dreamy Doll
BANNED

Postby K2! » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:14 am

Dreamy Doll wrote:but umm... if you just want it to protect you from "everything" (well, MOSTLY everything, i mean, within reason -- assuming you don't work for the CDC or handle nuclear stuff etc) what respirator & filter(s) would you get? is there any one combination that works for "everything"; organic/inorganic/dirt/dust/paint/solvents/caustic fumes/...

There is no one cartridge/set up, short of supplied air, that will protect you from everything. There are a few manufacturers that make combination cartridges or cartridges that "stack", but even those leave some things out. For normal home use you should stick with and organic vapor cartridge and a P100 prefilter. The P100 prefilter blocks particles (dust, fumes, mists) down to 3 micons with 99.97% efficiency and the OV cartridge will absorb gases and vapors as per the cartridge label. That will take care most things you encounter in the home environment. You could get one of the combination cartridges but they can get pricy and none of these cartridges last forever. All cartridges will "wear out", even when properly stored. If you need something more than the OV/P100 set up, such as an acid gas cartridge (chlorine, hydrogen chloride, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen fluoride and chlorine dioxide) you should probably be consulting a professional industrial hygienist and be fit tested and trained in proper use. Where I work, we get fit tested and trained annually.
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Dreamy Doll » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Okey dokey lokey~! Btw, can the p100/org combo be also used for peroxide fumes~?
.................~~~~~~~~~~
..Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop off your head
............Chop chop chop chop
.............The last man's dead!
..............~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dreamy Doll
BANNED

Postby victoriavictrix » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Dreamy Doll wrote:Okey dokey lokey~! Btw, can the p100/org combo be also used for peroxide fumes~?

Peroxide does not "fume." Peroxide degrades into water and oxygen (common peroxide is H2O2). So if you want to "protect" yourself from oxygen, just stick your head in a plastic bag and tie it shut around your neck. I wouldn't advise doing that, as it's known to cause side effects like death.
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby cirquemom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:44 am

K2! wrote:There is no one cartridge/set up, short of supplied air, that will protect you from everything.

This should work:

Mary the Doll~ New book by the author of Resin Life~ now available on amazon.com :
http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Doll-Wendy-R ... 300188200/Image
cirquemom
Snarky Princess

Postby twiddle66 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm

HA HA HA! Yes! I think that'll do it! Giggle.

As for the 3M mask I provided a link to that costs $27.44 and is complete with all filters and even comes with two extra 1st stage filters--that will handle any spray solvents or paint solvents and resin casting fumes you are going to expose yourself to--as for things beyond solvent based paint and /resins I can not say for sure. I do wear it to mow the lawn and can not smell gas fumes, mower exhaust or even the grass when cutting, but I am not sure it is approved for gas fumes.

I contacted a rep at 3m's customer support line before buying that mask to verify that it would work on fumes from laquers (MSC is Laquer based as are many of the Mr Color solvent based paints and other train and hobby based paints) and acetone and spray paints as well as resin fumes and was assured that it would do the job for all of these.
twiddle66
i see dead dolliehs

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks