Go to footer

Why MSC?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Re: Why MSC?

Postby happyknot » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 am

I'm probably the only one who had luck using Krylon Matte Finish - but only as a sealer. It had no tooth at all and although it says "matte" there is a sheen as if I didn't spray anything at all. I have stored the sprayed pieces on my desk which is the dustiest place in my room and the dust didn't stick to them. It's been a year and the pieces are not sticky as some people find happens with Krylon. The can describes it for use on art, crafts, display items and "many other things" but for face-up purposes I didn't find the product too useful.

I have used Model Master Clear Flat Finish and although it stinks really bad it gave a noticeable tooth. The can is very small and it cost about $13 at the time. It runs out quickly but it is a welcome alternative.

When MSC was still legal to ship internationally (I live in Canada), I had the opportunity to try it and how I wish I could get my hands on some again! It has a smell but it's not unpleasant. I wouldn't recommend it for tanned resin because after a few layers it becomes whitish, making the end result look like someone with too much foundation on.

It would cost me $40 for a single can of MSC due to the outrageous shipping costs.
Sadness.
happyknot
Dolly Pardon

Postby TatsuKitty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm

I use ZM spray. You can get it from volks, and it's great. The reason why MSC is because the other sealants can and will damage your doll over time. They can react poorly with removing agents. (i've heard horror stories of sealants and alcohol mixing and melting dolls faces) and they get sticky, they yellow, they have poor tooth..ZM spray has a TON of tooth, and they ship it in from japan so it should be allowed for international travel. It's worth the price to protect your dolls, imo. I think the zm would be much cheaper on shipping, since volks usa is usually only about 13 dollars, and you may be able to find some on ebay as well
TatsuKitty
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Anderson'sAllPurpose » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Do you need eye protection when spraying this stuff? It sounds like you wouldn't want it getting in your eyes either, and particularly if you're working outdoors that could be an issue. I'm planning to get a half-face mask like the ones discussed here - should I use it together with some sort of safety goggles? (I'm already wearing glasses but I think I'd be able to work without them if I had to...)
dollieh pics|old dollieh rants|ALL NEW dollieh rants
OMG, I can't believe I'm almost 11 and still play with Barbie dolls! If anyone find out I'm gonna die!!!1!
- my diary, c. 1991

...How long has that "s" in my signature been missing? - me, 2016
Anderson'sAllPurpose
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby OkamiKodomo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Happyknot, why are you able to smell it? D: That stuff is soooo bad to breath in!
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Anderson'sAllPurpose » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:16 pm

Hmm, I think I saw an answer for me here earlier but I seems to be gone now? Anyway, I think this is the respirator Q&A that they mentioned: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Obsessively_Collecting_Dolls/message/6922 (for any other newbies).
dollieh pics|old dollieh rants|ALL NEW dollieh rants
OMG, I can't believe I'm almost 11 and still play with Barbie dolls! If anyone find out I'm gonna die!!!1!
- my diary, c. 1991

...How long has that "s" in my signature been missing? - me, 2016
Anderson'sAllPurpose
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks