Go to footer

New sculpting project

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

New sculpting project

Postby DollyKim » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 am

http://dolfielittles.typepad.com/blog/2 ... jimmy.html

All blog posts with New Jimmy in the title will follow my attempts to make a new batch of doll heads, a base and push molds so I can change expressions and have several heads for Jimmy. Might be making another guy along with him.

Looks like this project will require a head base, Apoxie Sculpt, Amazing Mold Putty or a similar soft push mold making stuff, and polymer clay. Right now I'm assembling reference images to make the base to make the molds from. Like all doll projects this is subject to change or go on hold at any given time.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: New sculpting project

Postby DollyKim » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Zombie time!

Jimmy waiting for his ears. He's being done on one of my Dragon neck bases. This is the one that I'm wanting to make a push mold of so I can do some heads with different expressions.

Nicholas being directly sculpted on to his body.
He has a tab of Apoxie Sculpt sticking up from his neck, which turns. Paper "brains" are wrapped around that to bulk up the head and a thin skin of Apoxie Sculpt is put over that to work from.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:29 am

All goes well with Jimmy. Next is a bit of dry work and some hair.

And Nicholas/Young Peter Cushing is coming along. I need to get him some silver bullets and wooden stakes so he can play with the Monster High dolls.
And he'll need a bicycle and some vegetables...

Had to take Nicholas' head off and put it back on so it sits better on the neck. The way I did the knob and the paper brains allowed me to do that. Works easier with fresh Apoxie Sculpt than stuff that's cured for a few days or so. But you can chip away at it or use hot water to help soften it a tad. I was able to take a head off one body to put on another that way.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:37 am

Looking better.

The head still needs work here and there but I'm liking how it's coming along. It's always a good idea to do it in flesh tone, unless you're using that color stuff, so you can see where it might need work.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Bamboo just won't do for Jimmy, it's off to the store to look for Champagne

I guess I was a bit heavy handed with the paint...

Hello

So they need to be repainted, no biggie. I'm working to find a matching color for Jimmy now, mostly because I want to have a match in a bottle for touch ups, makes things a heck of a lot easier then trying to match a mixed color or having part of the blend not sit right, been in both places. The metallic champagne is a better color mach for the body, the bamboo is close just needs to be brighter.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:39 pm

2 parts Folk Art parchment, 2 parts Americana Hi-Lite flesh, 1 part Delta bamboo = as close to Jimmy as I'm going to get right now

Gonna see what the pearl finish does to his neck, if it makes it match the body more, but this will be glossed so I can mold him.

*A light pearl finish with a very wet brush to thin it out works to add a glisten to the head like the body has.

**Testing a better mix, both Folk Art. 2 parts Folk Art Parchment to one part Americana Flesh Tone. The parchment is just lighter than the body and needs a hint of flesh to it. Tried pearl finish over Delta bamboo but it didn't quite work. I still like the idea of a light pearl wash on the skin to get a slight shine, then eyebrows and such over that. Final results wait to be seen...
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:32 am

Questioning the whole molding idea :/ Especially because I feel this head is a bit too big to go with the body. No other way to say it. This head base was built up for a Dragon size. It bothers me that once I get the hair on it will definitely look bigger.

I might just sculpt the different heads with expressions I want. Have to figure out bases for those without necks, I see putting plastic or foil over the body and working the head that way. Need to think it through.

*Alright, decided this Jimmy head is a wee bit too big to fit with the body, especially when he gets his hair on. So when I'm of nimble fingers again I'm going to start working a smaller head directly on to the body, which will be covered with plastic or foil so I can still change heads. Now for something by George Harrison...
~With every mistake we must surely be learning~
This head goes in the spare heads box for use in a future project, so it still has a future.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 pm

This remind me of why I do art. This is what Jimmy is supposed to look like. I know IRL he doesn't have ears :P but it helps the hair to sit right.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Been awhile since I posted an update on Jimmy, so here he is waiting for what there is of his hair to dry. It has to be done with the head on the body so it sits right.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:04 am

Someone is a paint job and final face-up away from being done!

Next in the works is Alan "Watson" Cox when his body arrives. And there's still a want to make another Roger the Centaur and some day I'll get back to the LaDoll doll.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks