Go to footer

obitsu dying

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

obitsu dying

Postby quidam » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:51 pm

How well do they take dye jobs?
I don't recall ever seeing one before, so I'm thinking it might not be easy or possible?
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Re: obitsu dying

Postby kiki-chan78 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Yes and no. Technically, it can be dyed... but the result usually isn't pretty. In the last four years that I've been in the hobby, I've only seen one obitsu come through the dying process relatively intact.

The different types of vinyl on an obitsu will also take dye at different rates. Meaning, that the soft-bust will suck up the pigment, while all the hard plastics will absorb more slowly. Because of the high temperatures of the dye-bath, there is an exceedingly high risk of the joints warping resulting in a doll that can't pose or even be put back together.

So yeah.... technically, they can be dyed. It's just really hard, problematic and usually leads to tears, both yours and the doll's.

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby quidam » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks! I'll stay away from that then!
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:31 am

I'm about to try and dye/paint a smaller Obitsu body in tan soon.. not sure yet how to go about doing that.. but I'll definitely keep the DS posted.
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby quidam » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks! I hope she turns out okay!
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:09 pm

People have done it over in Junkyspot - I'd say do a search over there or look in the tips and tricks to see what sort of stuff they used and the results :) I think you get kind of a mixed result with it because different types of vinyl/plastic are used and each takes the dye differently. The most dangerous part is the heat - obitsu plastic melts!!!
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 pm

If all else fails, there's spray paint and somewhat ease of disassembling...
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Postby quidam » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:44 am

Wouldn't spray paint chip easily? Or does it somehow really grab onto vinyl?
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:32 am

Evelien, there is a type of VINYL SPRAY DYE (not paint) that is available in the UK so it MAY be available in the Netherlands:

Marabu DO-IT colourspray

This has had FANTASTIC results in the UK on vinyl and resin both, dries without being sticky almost no chipping, and actually bonds to the resin or vinyl. It comes in a lot of really nice colors. If you can find it, I would use that on my Obitsu. There is a lovely tan color (Sand) and a lot of other nice colors.

I tried to get my friend Paul in the UK to ship me some but the post office returned it twice. :cry:
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Evelien » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:42 am

Hmm. The problem for me is that I probably won't be able to find the perfect colour ready in a can... I need the tan to match Little Pullip Dog's head :P

Why did it get returned? it happened to me a while ago too. I've been waiting for a particular Little Pullip from the US since April and a few weeks ago I heard from the seller that it was returned to her and now she sent it again. Why would they do that..? we checked everything, my address was correct...

p.s. I do know that sprays and stuff can't be sent through airmail. There's a can of MSC still on its way to me from Asia... by boat. I ordered it like 6 weeks ago. Lol! In the meantime I got impatient and bought a second can in the Netherlands, even though it was more expensive...
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks