Go to footer

Hard Vinyl vs. Soft Vinyl

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Hard Vinyl vs. Soft Vinyl

Postby Dark Angel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Do they stain the same? I've only ever dealt with the soft vinyl and that stains SO easily. So I'm wondering if I need to be as cautious with the harder vinyl obitsu's I just got. Thanks :)
My Family:
Angel, Madison, Morgan, Dog, Egyp, Zurui, Willow, Pandora, Meadow, Camille, Sazuki, Eros, Knox, Mishell, Kirin, Chili, Jack, Carmen, Levi, Dimitri, Sun Wukong, Jezzebelle, Ellie, Ayato, Adrian, Lulu, Dagon, Nick
Dark Angel
I have no life but dolliehs

Re: Hard Vinyl vs. Soft Vinyl

Postby DollyKim » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 am

My experience with hard dolls is their hard parts don't stain like the soft bust Obitsus have but their fingers and rooted heads can. I have a "hard bust" regular Obitsu and she can wear clothes that might stain a soft bust if they wore them for too long. She's done black and black thread clothes without problems.

Washing and dye setting fabrics and clothes is always a good idea.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Evelien » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:33 am

Hmm, I don't have any comparing materials but my 60cm doll's arms are stained pretty badly even though they're the hard type of plastic.
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby AppleMintPie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:31 am

Hard plastic absorb colors way lesser than soft vinyl. And if they do it's only on the surface and that can be cleaned off. Most of my hard body obitsus wear dark clothes or very bright colored red or blue pants and none of them has any visible staining, just make sure to protect their hands and heads and it'll be fine :) And I agree with DollyKim give the clothes a good wash especially the dark ones.
¿ Habla Español?
AppleMintPie
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 am

Really..? Then I wonder how I'm supposed to get the stains off of the hard vinyl parts on my 60cm girl, so far I haven't succeeded :(
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:02 am

Looking over everyone here's what I have that has stained
Obitsu 1/6 soft bust and body
Obitsu 60 default head and bust
Obitsu 60 2 part abdomen, there are some rubbing stains on the 2 part chest
Obitsu 60-11 large eyehole head stained from tape used on the wig
Volks 1/6 hands
Medicom RAH hands from rubbing
Dragon/DML hands and feet
Dollzone mini headcap and forehead from black wig, a combination of rubbing, wearing it forever, and a toothy finish

Annoying stains- the RAH hands which look dirty and Obitsu 60 default face and bust because I let it kick around the clothes box and rub against things.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Yanagi-sen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:09 am

Evelien wrote:Really..? Then I wonder how I'm supposed to get the stains off of the hard vinyl parts on my 60cm girl, so far I haven't succeeded :(

Because I know I just sent Kiki-chan off to bed and can't just point her in the direction of this... I'll copy/paste the reply she made to the same question over in JS.

There's only one harsh chemical cleaner that I trust on vinyl. It's the whole 'once bitten, twice shy' type of a thing. I had to replace large pieces on one of my 60cm obitsus (Omi), because they were starting to turn highlighter yellow a year after having been subjected to the 'acne-cream' stain removing treatment. The stuff I trust is Remove-zit from Twin Pines of Maine.

Remove-zit is specifically formulated to remove stains from vinyl. If you really love your vinyl doll, this is the stuff you get to remove stains. This stuff is also not water soluble, to get it off, you need to pick up 'Formula 9-1-1' from the same people.

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Evelien » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks! I've heard of Remove-zit, I remember being shocked by high shipping rates though. Maybe next month when I have a better paycheck :P.
Flickr | Ipernity
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby AlmySidaKay » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am

I sadly put Violet in a black kimono and it stained pretty harshly so needless to say, she's been less of a photo hot lately.. >.>
A hobby isn't supposed to leave you wistful, regretful and vaguely disappointed. BJD collecting is as customizable as the dolls themselves. Do whatever pleases you the most, because otherwise, why do it at all? All for the 'Gram Bitches love the 'Gram.
AlmySidaKay
Keeper of Unicorns, Rainbows and Happy Things

Postby Lolita Lacemaker » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:03 pm

My sweet lady of 3 years old has some staining. Mainly the heads. On both, the lips and eyebrows are a little off in color but since it gets covered with the faceup you don't really see it. And it is nice with the eyebrows. I suck at them so this gives me an idea of where to put them. Also my Fancy's wig area is stained but that is hidden by her wig anyway. I do know that she had a black wig for a while.

Risha's pink dress has started to stain her in one place. . . Her nips. Yes, her nips are staining pink. Do I care that my doll will have pink nips? Naa. :) I did do the vinegar wash on the dress after I made it but I guess I need to redo it. Surprisingly, the dress isn't staining anywhere else. Just nice pink nips. (I sound like a perv. :lol: )
Lolita Lacemaker: AKA Knitting Dragon.
Mama to: Mimi (RS Ju), Risha (Obitsu 60cm Haruka), Floaters: Dar, (MNM Grell Sutcliff) Fancy (Gretal), Nanashi (60-001)
"...a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size” – Mark Twain
Lolita Lacemaker
i see dead dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks