Go to footer

Retarder vs thinner

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Retarder vs thinner

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Today I was doing Elodie's face up, and decided to use paints. But when I got the thinner, it was this sort of globby, thick thing, which cancels out the point of thinners. And it really thinned out the paint so it was really light. So I ended up using all dry colors.

So, was I supposed to use a retarder instead? Because if the retarder is also watery, it would thin out and make the paint dry slower. Or was I supposed to be patient and layer up the nearly invisible paint?
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Re: Retarder vs thinner

Postby Resu » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:09 pm

It depends. Did you read the thinner's instructions properly?

For example, I use Golden Acrylic Flow Release to thin my paints. It's instructions says that you need to cut the Flow Release with water (and a retardant, too, if you want) before you mix it with the paint. Because of that, I keep a separate bottle of the premixed solution.
Resu
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby landwhale » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:16 pm

When you say your thinner thinned out the paint, how did it thin it out and remain globby? Do you mean it made the paint transparent?

I usually just use retarder to "thin" the paint meaning to make it more liquid and prevent it from drying as fast so it blends a bit better. Different companies also use different names for the same thing. Retarders can also be called extenders. There are also slow dry mediums that come in different densities from liquitex so it can make your paint more watery or keep it thick.

IT all really depends on what you're used to. Ppl use different things that work for them. I don't usually use invisible or super transparent paint because it would take forever.
Obitsu 27cm Meryl, Lilly, Rhea, Stacey, Llywen, Lara, Aili
BJD Peyton (Non-official sculpt Happy D.I.M.), Un-named FL Chicline Lishe
RS/BBB Li(Ziili), Wu(Ba'ul), Yao. DikaDoll Rena(Lael)
CH Bisou Pepe (Charlie), CH Junior Ren (Allen), Obitsu 60cm Gretel (Cerise)
http://invie-alamode.blogspot.com/
landwhale
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby 1/6andtinylover » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:23 pm

*hits self on the head* Stupid me didn't read the instructions. I'm going to have to read it.

As for the globby part, the paint got more transparent but that was it. So I guess I'll do something after reading the instructions.
The ever growing wishlist: Hujoo Dana, Obitsu 40, and an army of other Obitsus with anime style heads.
The more expensive end of my wishtlist: Limhwa Half Elf and Elfdoll Soah, my dream dolls.
Dolls @ home: Elodie Tarte (YuHao Tart)
1/6andtinylover
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Sixoclock » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 pm

Being an acrylic painter, I NEVER use retarder, but that's a personal preference. I find retarder (even when mixed properly) can cause your paint to become too "tacky" - which can often result in more frustration than it is worth when the paint starts becomming sticky and streaky. To each their own though, as some are avid users of it as well.

I am with Resu in using Flow Release instead, but making sure you read the instructions on thinning it properly.
Sixoclock
the walls have dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks