Go to footer

How do I root a side part?

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

How do I root a side part?

Postby claws » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:31 pm

I've got a couple of Obitsu 27cm heads and some new Saran hair from Dolly Hair (I love that site!) and I wanted to do a side part...actually, I've never been very good with any kind of part. I once saw a tutorial somewhere on how to root parts, but I don't remember where. Can anyone help?
claws
Dolly Pardon

Re: How do I root a side part?

Postby SetsunaKou » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:56 pm

What I usually do is decide the area I want the side part, then root 2 rows, side by side, as close as you can together, without splitting the vinyl head with 'perforations,' from forehead to nape of neck. You don't actually have to go ALL the way to the nape, but I usually do. Most people stop at the back of the head.

Once you root those 2 vertical rows, then you start putting plugs all over the head, about 1-2mm apart. These plugs don't have to be as close or precise as the part---just fill up the head as best you can so it's not 'bald.'

After it's all 'full', then I add the bangs if the style calls for it, or if not, then go right for the crown of head plugs----again, this is precise and very close together plugs, going around the whole crown of the head, around the ears, etc, until it's all filled in.

Once that's done, then I go back and take the part and criss cross/zigzag the 2 rows plugs over each other, so there's no balding line there. Make sure you criss cross the plugs that are right across from each other so it looks neat and even.

Make sure you hold them down, because the hair will want to stand up at this point. I then smooth it down where I want the part to be/look like, then secure it with a plastic head wrapper. (You can also use pipe cleaners/chenille/fuzzy sticks to tie around the head to keep the hair in place for now.)
Then, dip it into hot water----how hot depends on what type of hair you have:

1)Nylon hair - boiling, super rolling boil, at least 3 dips for a really secure style
2)Saran hair - not quite boiling, just where the water is starting to have little bubbles on the walls of the cup---and even then, test the ends, to be sure it doesn't burn the hair. Then, dip the head once or twice.
3)Kanekalon hair - even less hot than for saran hair. About the temperature you can drink coffee or tea without burning your taste buds. Just one dip should be good for it. ^^

Or you can just pour the hot water over the head instead of dipping, but I prefer the dip---it seems to make the hairstyle more permanent.

What method do you use to root? I like the needle and thread method---it's easiest, and smooth to do. It's the method Dollyhair.com recommends with their tutorial.
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Re: How do I root a side part?

Postby claws » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks so much! That's really, really helpful. It sounds pretty easy, too. I've tried both the needle and thread method and the rooting tool method, and the rooting tool worked best for me, only because it's a little faster, and I'm not very patient. :D I wasn't even going to get the tool at first; I'd ordered the needles from Dolly Hair, and someone accidentally sent me the tool instead. When I emailed them, the lady who runs it apologized, sent me my original order, and just told me to go ahead and keep the tool for free. That was so awesome of her!
claws
Dolly Pardon

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks