Go to footer

Need a recommendation on sealers for MH dolls.

You did WHAT? WHERE?? HOW??? Share the knowledge or explain once again why we use chalk pastels and not oils.

Need a recommendation on sealers for MH dolls.

Postby Animadictsaiyuki » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm wondering what's a good recommendation for Monster High face ups besides MSC?

I do have MSC, but I dislike using it too much because I use multiple layers and lets face it, stuff is not exactly cheap. I hear Testors works, but not a fan of it. And there's another of Model Master matte something. I have Citidel Purity Seal but not sure if it would be good for soft vinyl and it would end up with a 'heavy' tooth.

Any ideas?
Animadictsaiyuki
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Re: Need a recommendation on sealers for MH dolls.

Postby catshem » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Unfortunately right now I only use MSC! >_< But I've heard from people on here many times over that Testors is the second choice. Okami had recommended to me to use MSC as your base layer and then work with Testors for the layers after; to make your MSC last longer. But everyone has different results and some swear by not mixing sealers.

One thing I must warn against with the customizing process, is to NOT use brush cleaner on the hard plastic bodies of MH dolls if you're cleaning off body paint. That stuff will turn the harder plastic into a sticky mess and I've yet to find a way to salvage the damaged bodies. >_<
My dolls Family
I make doll wingsOfficial Store here
Commission thread here
Mirrored Fantasies Etsy store
**DS exclusive coupon code for my etsy shop: DS15OFF
I like cats and dolls... I think my life is set. Wife of Rob.
Their story The God of Rampage
catshem
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Animadictsaiyuki » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I have clear acetone I can use. I have no problem using the brush cleaner on the heads.

But I need something outside of MSC and Testors. Has anyone tried airbrushing a liquid sealer like Liquitex?
Animadictsaiyuki
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Evelien » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:46 am

I'm sorry, I didn't read everything, but did someone say you should use acetone?? Don't!! :o Plastic + acetone is a big nono :o
European dealer for Captured in Glass doll eyes
Flickr | Ipernity
"I suspect Evelien doesn't go around wearing a little white lace hat and wooden shoes." -cirquemom
Evelien
Dr. Dollittle

Postby DollyKim » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:33 am

I have used nail polish remover with acetone to strip my Monsters. The biggest thing is to have enough clean cotton balls or you could get a smudge. Just rinse well and often. Also I've found that hot water will soften up face paint and it will just rub off, I use hot water to soften the glue inside the head.

For sealing I've used a brush on, then again my repaints have only been eyes and lips.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Animadictsaiyuki » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 am

To Evelien, all the tutorials I can find for stripping uses some form of nail polish remover with acetone. They don't let it soak in, only quick wipes with a swab with the liquid. (Even some of the pros. I can manage that but I only use acetone for as a last resort. I name use W&N with no problems since I neutralize/break it right after.)

What kind of brush on is best? I've only use aerosol/canned types so I wouldn't know. And would it work for the whole face or it's just for sections?
Animadictsaiyuki
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby DollyKim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:17 am

I use Delta Ceramcoat, comes in little bottles, and Liquitex, comes in bigger bottles, and just paint it over the parts I've painted on soft head dolls. Usually I just do their eyes and lips. Both sealers have matte and gloss, Delta (and store brands of it) also does satin and several other types. For all over painting on plastic, like MLP figurines, I learned Liquitex gloss sticks better. You want to go with thin layers and let dry completely in between and try not to touch where you painted.

Now I primarily use acrylic paint on my soft head dolls, any chalk pastels go on over a base coat of paint, I'm not really a cheek blusher.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Return to Board index

Return to Tips & Tricks