Go to footer

Sojourns with Cherry

Tales of love, death and more angst than you can shake a stick at - plus some comedy thrown in for good measure.

Re: Sojourns with Cherry

Postby embyquinn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 am

davidd wrote:Riri makes an adorable color-shifted Anna-Marie! Impressive tailoring on that sailor-style school uniform!

Thank you! I wanted to make sure Riri was distinct from any "canon" characters, which is why her neko color is lavender. I wanted to do a tribute to MV without being a direct "copy" of any character in the series.

davidd wrote:And it was fun to see Mom Embryquinn Ghostcat making a cameo appearance... or, this being Trick or Treat season, was that somebody playing a trick on us? Well, it was fun nevertheless!

That was 100 percent me, white hair and all. I really don't like photos of myself much, but Riri insisted. She pulled out the sparkle eyes on me.

davidd wrote:(Having "Mom's" dialog balloon tails always leading out of the panels is a very effective narrative technique, by the way!)

I learned to read at the age of three and my literature of choice was Marvel comics. It...affected me.

davidd wrote:((And the last time I heard "I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur" I think I fell off my dinosaur laughing! Talkin' 'bout my generation!))

That was my nod to people of my advanced years, yes. As was the "hostage in a fortune cookie factory" joke.

Although I'm very much a participant in these photostories (usually unseen), Riri is definitely the star. She gets 99 percent of the best lines, which is as it should be.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby davidd » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:29 pm

embyquinn wrote:Although I'm very much a participant in these photostories (usually unseen), Riri is definitely the star. She gets 99 percent of the best lines, which is as it should be.

Costello needed Abbott, Lewis needed Martin, and Hope without Crosby wouldn't have had half the appeal. Riri may be the star, but the two of you are definitely a team!
:lol:
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:46 pm

WHERE IS THE UPVOTE A MILLION TIMES BUTTON????
All you damn kids get offa my lawn!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby embyquinn » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 pm

In spite of the doll-shaming incident, Riri still wanted more wigs. So, after a trip to Dollar Tree (where they had a whole end-cap of pom keychains), I obliged.

"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby davidd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:25 pm

"Hey! Your font changed!" I don't know why that made me laugh, but... it made me laugh. Kind of a lot.

(Improves readability while enhancing the whimsical comic book effect, though, so it was a good change.)

I like the "Tribble" wig... because it doesn't look like a wig, it looks like a hat. A sophisticated sixties-style fur hat. A hat that a sexy Soviet spy-girl would wear in a James Bond movie. Plus, it matches Riri's eyes.

Ri would make an awesome Bond Girl.

(The hex code color reference also made me laugh!)
davidd
the walls have dolliehs

Postby victoriavictrix » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:55 pm

I see someone has fully embraced the full-sized BJD concept.

Maybe two someones.

Mind you, I get it. MSD and up is just so much easier to sew for at our age. *cough*
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby embyquinn » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 am

victoriavictrix wrote:I see someone has fully embraced the full-sized BJD concept.

It's really crazy. Cherry has gone through a ton of changes in her decade of doll existence--she started out as a Liv Daniela, then she got a Moxie Teenz Melrose head that she kept for most of her ten years, then she got a Fashionista body, which I dumped for a Volks tan Dollfie, which was too floppy so I changed it to a Made to Move...then finally this year I took the plunge and got her a Xinyi 1/4. Not satisfied with the face sculpt, I got a Night Lolita head off eBay, and that is the Riri as she is now. The strange thing is, all these years I have secretly yearned to rebody her as a "real" BJD, but never came across a doll in any size with a face that seemed to suit her. If I was going to pay literally hundreds of dollars for a doll, I wanted it to be a perfect fit, and nothing ever really felt right. Nowadays, I can admire other dolls, but I don't feel that yearning anymore. Finally, I am truly content with my doll. She's found her true being.

And the irony of this is that I spent about $10 for her Night Lolita head and about $30 for her Xinyi body. So I got my perfect Cherry for around 40 bucks. :D

victoriavictrix wrote: two someones.

Now that Cherry is a true BJD (and she is, I don't care what other folks say about non-strung, non-PU dolls), her character has blossomed. As a 1/6, she was like a child. Now she's an adolescent, closer to her "age" of 17, and she is absolutely fearless. Except for kids. They didn't bother her before but now they terrify her. (And yes, that's just me projecting my feelings onto her. Just go with it.)

victoriavictrix wrote:Mind you, I get it. MSD and up is just so much easier to sew for at our age. *cough*

True dat. Thing is, I don't mind making her clothes--love it, in fact--which is good because of all the standard doll ranges 1/4 is a fscking MINEFIELD of trying to find the right sizes. I have yet to find anything in clothing that would truly fit her, and the two pairs of shoes I bought her are oversized. But I love making her stuff, so we're both happy. I'm building up her wardrobe again, but she's already got plenty of clothes, both dressy (which I love) and active (which she seems to prefer now). I just got a new bunch of fabric to make her winter clothing, and as the chihuahua said in the old Taco Bell commercial said, "We're going to need a bigger box."

I don't care, though. Riri deserves the best I can give her.

Last edited by embyquinn on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby oniakki » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:31 am

embyquinn wrote:{...}
Now that Cherry is a true BJD (and she is, I don't care what other folks say about non-strung, non-PU dolls), her character has blossomed.

I definitely feel this, which I guess is unsurprizing given all but one of my girls are vinyls on skeletons. ^.^
oniakki
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby maywong » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 pm

A person can never have enough pink. LOL
maywong
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby victoriavictrix » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:09 pm

Damn right you're a true BJD at every size, Riri. But I really like your new look. As you guys may have seen in the "waiting" thread, way back I rebodied Vix as a Chidaloca head on a 50 cm Obitsu body, and now she's exactly the right size--especially since I have a Vindoll to reshell Red Djinni. The smirk on the guy I found is just Red to a T. And I've been picking up the "cheap" 60 cm vinyls on ebay to test out, the ones that have removable headcaps or faceplates I'm keeping for my Elven court, and the rest are going to be made into book characters for charity auctions. So ALL of my latest aquisitions are vinyl on skeleton!
victoriavictrix
Iz dolliehs Here

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Photostory Zone