Go to footer

Projects: In Progess or Ideas? What'choo Workin' On?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: Projects: In Progess or Ideas? What'choo Workin' On?

Postby DollyKim » Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:07 pm

Haven't heard of Oxyclean for glue, do remember being warned about it messing up MLP hair. What about blue Dawn?

I don't want to think about glue or stains or any of that after 2 extended times in non climate controlled storage thru California weather. Last time I had a quick look everyone okay outside of some clear accessories that were melting. Tehy were bagged separately. Could be the fine layer of dust, lol.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:25 pm

I was genuinely shocked at how good the condition was with mine. I think because I removed all the metallic accessories and wrapped everybody individually, it prevented a lot of issues, even in the non climate controlled buildings they've been in for the last several years.

I'm still working my way through cataloging what accessories are missing, and so far it looks like, with the exception of the pets that have ALL been lost to time, I can replace most of the missing accessories for under $100, which isn't too bad when you're dealing with Monster High. I'm currently missing Isi and Kierstie's bags, SDCC Iris's bag, Robecca's goggles, and Ghoulia's gloves. However, since Ghoulia's gloves are literally just mesh fabric tubes, I'm not spending $40+ to replace them when I can spend $4 including shipping on a fabric sample and make them.

I'm also missing a few parts from two of the three playawta I have. I'm missing the guitar from Astranova's Floatation Station, and several pieces from Abbey's Ice Bed, but thos aren't an immediate concern. I do want to get a second complete Astranova outfit for my lavender variant of Astranova. The indigo version is currently wearing their only outfit. I just can't find the silver arm pieces anywhere online. Might have to settle for having her mostly complete for a while, just so she isn't naked.

I also have fallen weirdly in love with the G2 little siblings????? Like, why are they so cute????????
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Kattriella » Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:13 pm

My grandfather said I can use some of his scrap lumber to make risers for my shelves to display my Monster High dolls on, so yay! I'm going to be spending a day or two a week for the next however long working on getting all my dolls cleaned, their hair fixed up (Lagoona's curls are LONG gone), and working on replacing any lost accessories (which I'm thankfully not missing too many of, other than the pets). So those I my plans for the foreseeable future.
Kattriella

Postby DollyKim » Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:54 am

Don't know if this will be any help but I've had these "doll stairs" for at least 40 years, who knows how old they were before I got them, and one thing they haven't done is fall apart. Make them deep enough for Monster stands and you're in business.

More pics https://www.tumblr.com/littlewalken/761 ... urce=share
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Kattriella » Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:33 pm

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing.

I also realized I'm missing the waist bracket for Holt???? I don't know how. Considering I've had some of the dolls for a decade, I guess the fact I've kept up with most of their stuff is impressive. I even kept up with all the small bits from Draculaura's Powder Room set.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:54 pm

Mini project/experiment, plus more late night shenanigans at Katt's Ratchet Doll Spa.

I apparently didn't get a before photo, but I pulled the white/platinum blond haired ghouls from The Storage Bin to attempt an experiment on them. As some of you probably know, over time, the white Monster High hair begins to turn yellow. There's no way to fully stop this, but some people have suggested purple shampoo, which is meant to ronw hair. It did help, despite how yellow their hair still looks (that's partly because of my kitchen lighting). For instance, Meowlody's hair was YELLOW to begin with. Not blond. YELLOW. She's at least tines back to a light blond. I'll probably do this a few more times and see if it gets less yellow. I only left the shampoo on for about 10 minutes because I have never used it before. (Never used it before, decided to try it on five dolls. Go big or go home.)

These ghouls also got a good gone treatment beforehand and a thorough conditioning afterwards, so they're ready for a break.

Also, if you're wondering why Purrsephone is here, 1.) Her white streak had yellowed a bit and needed some work, 2.) Her hair was a little gluey, and 3.) I can't give Meowlody a spa day and exclude her sister.

Y'all don't judge my kitchen counter, understand? It's almost midnight.

Update: I swear I think the purple shampoo changed the undertone of Purrsephone's black hair. I swear it used to be more of a brown undertone, but now it is noticably a purplish undertone. Neat.
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:17 am

Update on the ghouls in better light.

Kattriella

Postby Jobee » Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:59 pm

They look fantastic! Great job!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby Kattriella » Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:00 pm

Thanks! I'm working on touching up the werecats' hair stripes. Apparently, Sharpie works really well. It goes against EVERY fiber of my doll collector being to put SHARPIE iny dolls' hair, but it DOES work. I washed it almost immediately with Purrsephone and the bottom faded a lot. I think I'll do it again and leave it overnight with a towel separating it from the rest of the doll and wash it tomorrow to see if it sets more.

Update: The Sharpie thing actually worked really well. I had originally used one of the Sharpie pens, but it washed out really easily. I used one of the ultra fine markers the second time around, the rinsed with super cold water before washing and it actually stayed! Never thought I'd be excited to have Sharpie in a doll's hair, but doll collecting is a weird hobby. (Pics coming soon.)
Kattriella

Postby Kattriella » Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:28 pm

Next big project (literally):

This poor ghoul's hair has gone limp. I may or may not have bought human hair curlers specifically for her . . .

Update:

At least she looks like she's having fun. Nothing like sitting naked on the kitchen table at 11:00 at night with curlers in your hair.
Kattriella

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!