Go to footer

Projects: In Progess or Ideas? What'choo Workin' On?

The place for those OT discussions that you just HAVE to share in a doll themed forum.

Re: Projects: In Progess or Ideas? What'choo Workin' On?

Postby DollyKim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:01 am

Thanks everyone! This would be a great beginner's project, or something to do on a long trip. All the hexagons are the same size, the boarders are cut in half, the corners are cut in quarters. None of the fabrics have a direction so there's no rhyme or reason to putting them together.

Instead of strait pins I put it together with safety pins so I could pick it up and put it down as time allowed me.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby IzabethS » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:22 am

DollyKim - The quilt looks awesome! I love all the colors that are meshed together.

I finally finished working on Rose, and now I have to finish blushing and tattooing Mort and I have to paint Prem's hooves and wings. Val needs his ears reblushed as well and oddly I've been wanting to redo his face up...

Also I have to make molds of my demon wings that I sculpted because they are at that point where they are ready to be cast. I need to get a hold of Gerald and Zircon again.

Another thing on my list is to fix a friend's Oceanmoon Ha-Nee, who broke a peg out of her hand. I offered to fix it for her in due time, but I need a small dremel to do it so I can drill a hole into her hand and put a new peg in before supergluing the snot out of it.

I think that's it for dolly projects...
IzabethS
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby kiki-chan78 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:27 am

Small and unfortunately blurry sneek-peek at the doll from my previous shot. I will say, from the amount of work that I've put into him... he's NOT going in the water. >.>;;;

<3

-Kiki-chan78.
kiki-chan78

Postby Dirili » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:48 am

mean teaser T_T
It looks so awesome just from that! I want to see it all!
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby E-Beth » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:55 am

Vase of flowers

Good thing they are artificial flowers or they'd totally wilt in the eight weeks before my doll arrives.

Overall about 5" tall

Small scale silk (?) flowers from Michael's originally bought for decorating hats.
Vase from the thrift store. "Brown" things were 1/2 price so it cost me 25 cents. Wow.
E-Beth

Postby E-Beth » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:14 am

AND the bed project proceeds apace.
This project will be a Mission style twin bed complete with tufted mattress, feather tick, feather pillows, duvet, duvet cover and sheets. Or maybe a nice wool blanket instead of the duvet. Have not decided yet.

I won't be able to do any woodworking for a few days, so I switched to starting on the mattress.

Here's the mattress halfway tufted.
It should be 13" by 25" by 3/4" when I'm done.
I did not measure and mark my tufting points. I should have, but my excuse is I started on the tufting before I'd had a whole cup of coffee. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. When I do something like this again, I'll mark an even grid on both sides of the mattress or cushion.

It started out VERY puffy. The horizontal band you can see in the middle is 3/4" wide. That's the goal-thickness.

I used what I had on hand, which was cotton jaquard fabric leftovers, and polyester stuffing purchased for a soft-sculpture project. If I had decided to buy stuff instead of trawling the leftovers, I'd have cut down a soft pillowform. My stuffing job was not very even.

To put the tufts in, I used a soft sculpture needle (3" long) and cotton topstitching thread. I went in top to bottom, leaving a thread tail for later, then back up, then top to bottom again, then up. Giving me a sort of pulley effect, allowing me to tighten the tufting down.

I pulled the two thread tails as tight as I could around a 1/2" dowel, then tied them off with a square knot followed by a surgeon's knot. Then slide the dowel out. This ensures that my tufting stays about 3/4" high.

A tuft tied off

The left end is basically finished. You can see how much the tufting reduces the puffiness.
E-Beth

Postby Linteia » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 am

Finished Genesis's face-up, moving on to Monica. Next I'm buckling down to make Genesis some clothes. I have the fabric for a few dresses, a school girl skirt and socks. She needs some shirts too but I haven't figured out what they will be yet.
Linteia
the walls have dolliehs

Postby richila » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:06 am

Liz I am a believer in the not enough caffeine defense-but your tufting is still better than mine. :D :D
It is fun to see what others are working on. I finished doing a chocolate baby Suve this morning
Chocolate Baby Hujoo Suve by richila9098, on Flickr
It is especially nice that I got to play with one and she will not be living here. Now i don't have to wonder if I want one-I don't. Cordie's posing has me spoiled.
richila
I have no life but dolliehs

Postby Dirili » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:21 pm

E-Beth wrote:Vase of flowers

Good thing they are artificial flowers or they'd totally wilt in the eight weeks before my doll arrives.

Overall about 5" tall

Small scale silk (?) flowers from Michael's originally bought for decorating hats.
Vase from the thrift store. "Brown" things were 1/2 price so it cost me 25 cents. Wow.

I NEVER would have guess that that was only 5" tall. It looks full sized to me!

Sweet, work, the rest of you ^_^
My woefully neglected website:
http://www.designbyamy.net
Dirili
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:20 pm

The next thing to give the hands something to do while dolls dry. The sewing will start from the center so everything will line up.

DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Let's Talk!