Go to footer

Disney drops Mattel in favor of Hasbro

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Disney drops Mattel in favor of Hasbro

Postby AquaMight » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi!
I was wondering if there was a discussion of this already but I didn't find a thread on the boards. As many of you probably already know, it was announced in September that Mattel would be losing the Disney Princess license to Hasbro. Personally I'm really excited about this news! For the past few years Mattel's quality has heavily deteriorated. No longer are they the high-quality doll company of the 80s and early 2000s. The Disney Princess line has been no exception. They've cut every corner with their products(molded-on clothes, stiff and hollow legs, uncreative designs, lack of accessories, poor quality materials, quality control issues etc.). Although I do feel like they've been trying harder the last two years with their "Signature Collection" dolls as well as many of the Little Mermaid dolls released last year for the Diamond Edition release (I love Water Show Ariel and the Splashing mermaids!). It's just a case of "too little too late". I also have a few Hasbro dolls(mostly Sindys) and love them! They're so beautiful and nice quality! I'm also a fan of Jem and the vintage doll line was really high-quality as well.

What are your opinions/ thoughts about this change? I'd love to hear your views on the matter!

Here's a link to an article if anyone hasn't read about it:
http://nypost.com/2014/09/25/disney-pri ... om-mattel/

And with that some of my Mattel Ariels (1997 "Ariel" and 2013 "Royal Style Ariel")
AquaMight
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Re: Disney drops Mattel in favor of Hasbro

Postby Trethowan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Well, now. This is interesting! I'm curious to see the Hasbro line up. I hope to see lots of links and pics when they start rolling out their new product lines.

Seems to me that the notion of starting over could usher in a lot of fresh ideas and new designs. And you can never argue with better quality. I hope Hasbro knocks 'em out of the park.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby SetsunaKou » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:44 am

I saw this on the news last week or so----I am happy to have 'new dolls' for my Aurora collection but I am also sad for Mattel. Their Princess line is horrible, actually (apart from Cinderella, who actually looks more like her than the Disney Store Cinderella.) but I used a lot of their dolls as 'base dolls' for other Disney characters, like Eilonwy (Rapunzel), 3 Silly Girls (Rapunzels), Ariel (Mermaids from Peter Pan's lagoon), Snow White and Cinderella as Centaurettes, and so on. They're terrible heads/bodies for the main 12 Princesses, but as fodder for other unmade Disney dolls, they could be great because they were sort of vague and not definitely looking like the Princess they were made to be.
(That was weird sounding, wasn't it? Example: I couldn't use DS Rapunzel for the Silly Girls or Eilonwy since she's so perfectly and only Rapunzel. But Mattel's Rapunzel is nearly 'Barbie-ish' in look but with still a touch of cartoon, so she made great 'Eilonwy' and '3 Silly Girls.')

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how Hasbro makes the Princesses. I hope they won't have giant heads like MH or EAH or Bratz, etc but if they do, I guess that's different and something unique to the 'Princess' dolls.
I searched the internet when I heard of this to see if there were any photos of prototypes or anything but only came up with this:

Not even sure if they're Hasbro, but they're not Mattel, I know that. (They were on a page talking about how Hasbro is taking over the line.)
If they ARE what the new princesses will look like, I'm not that impressed. They look very 'fashion doll' like and not good likenesses. But the clothing is nice. ^^ (Though, of course, Aurora is PINK still!! :laughs: )

However, they might be a picture of older dolls? But what brand? I don't have that Aurora and don't really recognize her, either. The closest she looks is to the Disney Theme Parks Aurora facemold, but not exactly.

Any thoughts or clues?
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Trethowan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:26 pm

It makes total sense, actually. If you want to create a new character it helps to have a neutral base doll.

I always preferred Aurora's blue dress over the pink one.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby yarwel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:47 pm

SetsunaKou wrote:Not even sure if they're Hasbro, but they're not Mattel, I know that. (They were on a page talking about how Hasbro is taking over the line.)

Found them!
http://www.laughingplace.com/store/Product-12771.asp
They are from the "disney parks collection" Not sure who they're made by though. :roll:
yarwel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:25 pm

yarwel wrote:
SetsunaKou wrote:Not even sure if they're Hasbro, but they're not Mattel, I know that. (They were on a page talking about how Hasbro is taking over the line.)

Found them!
http://www.laughingplace.com/store/Product-12771.asp
They are from the "disney parks collection" Not sure who they're made by though. :roll:

Oooh, thanks for the researching this, Yarwel-san!!! :) I appreciate the help!!! WOW! How did you find that!?! You're awesome!

Anyay, I thought she looked like my Disney Parks Aurora doll, but not quite. I guess the makeup is different? But now I can rest easy since I don't have to search for her to buy now as I already own a Disney Parks version! :) Thanks! You're a lifesaver!!!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:27 am

I'm surprised Disney doesn't have it's own in house toy maker after all these years. Personally I'm content with the Disney Store jointed girls I have and like the idea they can share clothes with the other Mattel dolls I already have. If I could pick another maker I'd want Liv (Spinmaster) like dolls with joints and wigs.

Jakks Pacific might have made the ones in the picture, I think they have some Disney licenses. They've been inventive with some of their dolls.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby AquaMight » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:26 am

SetsunaKou wrote:I saw this on the news last week or so----I am happy to have 'new dolls' for my Aurora collection but I am also sad for Mattel. Their Princess line is horrible, actually (apart from Cinderella, who actually looks more like her than the Disney Store Cinderella.) but I used a lot of their dolls as 'base dolls' for other Disney characters, like Eilonwy (Rapunzel), 3 Silly Girls (Rapunzels), Ariel (Mermaids from Peter Pan's lagoon), Snow White and Cinderella as Centaurettes, and so on. They're terrible heads/bodies for the main 12 Princesses, but as fodder for other unmade Disney dolls, they could be great because they were sort of vague and not definitely looking like the Princess they were made to be.
(That was weird sounding, wasn't it? Example: I couldn't use DS Rapunzel for the Silly Girls or Eilonwy since she's so perfectly and only Rapunzel. But Mattel's Rapunzel is nearly 'Barbie-ish' in look but with still a touch of cartoon, so she made great 'Eilonwy' and '3 Silly Girls.')

Ahh yes that makes total sense. The 90s Mattel Disney dolls were so beautiful and high-quality, 1997 Ariel is the perfect Ariel to me! It's just sad comparing their older dolls to what's currently out. The quality has plummeted and their bodies are just hollow and stiff =/

Luckily the switch won't happen until 2016 so you have plenty of time to stock up on their dolls! :)
AquaMight
dolliehs are watching me O.O;

Postby Astrawberryprincess » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:31 pm

I'm really hoping for some more adult collector aimed items like they did with the my little pony franchise. Short of the limited editions from the Disney store there aren't many disney collectors dolls anymore. Oh and I want a classics/nostalgia collection with characters like Megara, Jane Porter, Kida and all the other disney ladies often left out of merchandising.
asweetstrawberryprincess.tumblr.com
Astrawberryprincess
Dolliehs? WHERE???

Postby Wispalian » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Yes!! Kida doll! *o* My childhood dream would finally come true!
And an Esmeralda! And a Crysta. Oh, so many possibilities!
I really hope they improve the quality too. Mattel's quality has just become...pretty abysmal, to be honest. Hopefully Hasbro will really seize this opportunity! I have more faith in Hasbro than Mattel...well, at least for now. :P
Wispalian
i see dead dolliehs

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'