Go to footer

I might have to say.... vinyl is

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: I might have to say.... vinyl is

Postby SetsunaKou » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:18 pm

K2! wrote:
Trethowan wrote:I looked online. 12 gauge electrical wire is actually pretty cheap! I can get 50 feet of the stuff for under 8 bucks.

Just make sure it's solid not stranded.

Exactly! Stranded is too weak and floppy---not usable at all, nor is speaker wire. :)
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby ShortNCuddlyAm » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:52 am

Jobee wrote:I agree, I love vinyl!

There's times when I've thought that if I could get vinyl bodies that closely matched the colours and shapes of most of my resins, I'd swap in a heartbeat! (Well, I'd swap when I could afford :lol: )
Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, the reverse of stressed is desserts.
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
ShortNCuddlyAm
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby DollyKim » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:01 am

I couldn't completely replace my handful of resins but if I were majorly in to doing photo stories based on what I've written for Xavier I'd have a Little Me version of him, he's already Mini scaled. As things work out I have Bram who Xavier would chose to play him in photo stories.

When I got heavy in to dolls I had to stick to 1/6 because I already had a lot of Barbie stuff from my childhood. If I had the room I could do one heck of a story I just don't know what it would be about.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:09 am

Lol. I lack the space to do big scale photo story. A 'simple' dance would have my dolls hijacking my computer table for close to two weeks.

If I shoot them on the living room floor, I lose the will power to continue by lunch time and I have to clean up the area before the rest of my family comes home. Gotta hand it to folks who are able to do a continuing series.

And taking them outdoors would last as long as I could stand the hot/humid weather here or whether I have have to work the next day.
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Trethowan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:52 am

SetsunaKou wrote:
K2! wrote:
Trethowan wrote:I looked online. 12 gauge electrical wire is actually pretty cheap! I can get 50 feet of the stuff for under 8 bucks.

Just make sure it's solid not stranded.

Exactly! Stranded is too weak and floppy---not usable at all, nor is speaker wire. :)

aha! solid wire for solidly posed dolls. hehe

ShortNCuddlyAm wrote:
Jobee wrote:I agree, I love vinyl!

There's times when I've thought that if I could get vinyl bodies that closely matched the colours and shapes of most of my resins, I'd swap in a heartbeat! (Well, I'd swap when I could afford :lol: )

Well, I love the look of resin a thousand times better, but I admit that the posing and lightweight vinyls are definitely awesome. Yeah, man. To get two rolled in one? I'd switch.

DollyKim wrote:I couldn't completely replace my handful of resins but if I were majorly in to doing photo stories based on what I've written for Xavier I'd have a Little Me version of him, he's already Mini scaled. As things work out I have Bram who Xavier would chose to play him in photo stories.

When I got heavy in to dolls I had to stick to 1/6 because I already had a lot of Barbie stuff from my childhood. If I had the room I could do one heck of a story I just don't know what it would be about.

1/6 are a lot of fun. I have three of the smaller obitsus. They're great for life drawing poses. I've never tried to do a photostory with them. Mini-Ivan is the only one with a face.

Iwa_Hoshi wrote:Lol. I lack the space to do big scale photo story. A 'simple' dance would have my dolls hijacking my computer table for close to two weeks.

If I shoot them on the living room floor, I lose the will power to continue by lunch time and I have to clean up the area before the rest of my family comes home. Gotta hand it to folks who are able to do a continuing series.

And taking them outdoors would last as long as I could stand the hot/humid weather here or whether I have have to work the next day.

Yuck to outdoors. I never take my dolls outside. Ever. Never ever. My luck I'd drop them all on a rock or something. :o
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:20 am

Trethowan wrote:Yuck to outdoors. I never take my dolls outside. Ever. Never ever. My luck I'd drop them all on a rock or something. :o

:lol: :lol:
Outdoors! That's what 1/6 Obitsu are for. I get antsy when I have to pose the resin outdoors. They'll find some way to fall. And I have to find ways to anticipate their fall. Megu-Chun managed to fall into a shallow pond even though she's just kneeling by the edge.
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Greyhaunt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Well, it's photograph outside or try to find a spot in my apartment not cluttered with stacks of books, stacks of fabrics or stacks of doll stuff! The only problem I have with outdoors is I have to find a time with no kids around or they want to touch :o

NO STICKIES TOUCHING DOLLIEHS!!!

Oh, and then there is the heat thing here in AZ. I mean, you can't really fry an egg on the sidewalk, but you could seriously burn yourself. Wouldn't surprise me if vinyl or resin warped in the heat out here :(
Greyhaunt
Snarky Bitch Who Runs this Place

Postby K2! » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:24 am

I never take my dolls outside. They’re made of fragile materials and are very sensitive to light.

Then there is dirt, grit, and all manner of contaminants to soil them and their clothes.

And you never know. You can bump into the wrong kind of people out there.

The outside world is no place for a delicate, expensive doll.

It’s just too unpredictable.

K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Samseramsamsam » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:49 am

K2, your post needs a "like" button :mrgreen: (as much as I abhor these "likes" anywhere else)

But for anyone afraid to subject their dollieh to teh ebil outdoors - maybe a small greenscreen? They can be acquired not so expensively. Or just look for a sheet in a mean colour, that works too in Gimp ;)
My mini knitting blog can be found at insomnimaniacs.wordpress.com

Wielding pointy objects only to create, not to harm... ];->
Samseramsamsam
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:54 am

True that. Resins need protection from the sun too.

Night time will traumatize your dolliehs.

Since thats when the nasty beasts roam
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'