Go to footer

Remember Lammily? The reviews are in!

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

Re: Remember Lammily? The reviews are in!

Postby Wispalian » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Ooh, that's awesome hyssop! I'd really like to see a modded Lammily. There is definite potential in this line, but it definitely needs some work first. I feel like I keep on saying variants of this. I want to not have to!
If you repaint her I'd especially love to see, if that's okay! I feel like her facial screening makes her look kind of...flat? As odd as that sounds, her eyes seem like they would benefit from a different face-up style.

I'm rereading the Toy Box Philosopher's review now. I really hope the next version of the doll has better (and sturdier) articulation! I'd love to see Lammily compared to a Makie. That would be interesting. Does anyone have one of both to compare?
...I have neither. ^^;
Wispalian
i see dead dolliehs

Postby quidam » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:16 am

hyssop wrote:I picked up TWO Lammily's new in the box at Goodwill today for 4.98$! I have no idea how this happened, still! She's very sweet-faced, I think. One is destined for a haircut or even a re-rooting but I'll keep the other original. :D

Wow, that's an unexpected find! You'll have to post pictures of the one if you give her a makeover. It would be interesting to see her potential.
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Samseramsamsam » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:48 am

Hyssop, that is great! I am really looking forward to seeing what you make of her! Unfortunately, there is nothing like Goodwill here in Germany (at least not around where I live) and the few Lammily dolls that made it to Germany so far are trying to fetch outrageous prices on ebay o_O

mine is on her way and I am really looking foward to her. If I end up "hating" her face, she will be up for a repaint :twisted: If I really like the doll, I might even order another one for that purpose (Once I have practiced some more with my unfortunate Monster High collection XD). However, I am more looking forward to the knitting :mrgreen:

I guess Lammily should be quite similar to the Makie, at least in body size (also 10''?). Of course, the Makie's head is much larger and their articulation much better :mrgreen:
My mini knitting blog can be found at insomnimaniacs.wordpress.com

Wielding pointy objects only to create, not to harm... ];->
Samseramsamsam
my dollieh is a goooood dollieh

Postby Jobee » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:57 pm

I feel a little bad for not liking her. I want to, since the concept of a more normal looking doll is great, but... I just can't dig this one. :?
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Postby quidam » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Jobee wrote:I feel a little bad for not liking her. I want to, since the concept of a more normal looking doll is great, but... I just can't dig this one. :?

No reason to feel bad! I doubt there are many people out there who like every doll they see!
Caretaker of the Axelsen household: Aria, Annica, Aubrey, Azalea, Asher, Amelia, Alantril, Arivan, and Angora
quidam
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Wispalian » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:42 pm

I feel a little bad for not liking her. I want to, since the concept of a more normal looking doll is great, but... I just can't dig this one. :?

I near hated her for a good while (her promo pictures did not look appealing to me) and her face and body are still definitely not among my favourites! Especially how her head joins to her neck. A lot of older Ken dolls had that really bulking looking seam and I really disliked that when I was younger...and still do. It wasn't until I saw some owner pictures of her that I started to soften to her more, and I'm interested in her more for curiosity so far than actually...liking her. :oops:
In short, don't feel bad at all! ;)
Wispalian
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Anderson'sAllPurpose » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Wispalian wrote:

I near hated her for a good while (her promo pictures did not look appealing to me) and her face and body are still definitely not among my favourites! Especially how her head joins to her neck. A lot of older Ken dolls had that really bulking looking seam and I really disliked that when I was younger...and still do. It wasn't until I saw some owner pictures of her that I started to soften to her more, and I'm interested in her more for curiosity so far than actually...liking her. :oops:
In short, don't feel bad at all! ;)

The head joint bothered me as well. I know it seems like such a small thing, but it could have been done a lot better, and to me it's just another sign that this guy doesn't really know a lot about doll design.

I wanted to like her too, since I'm always going on about different body types and articulation, and she promised to have both, but unless there's a new, vastly improved version I don't think I'll bother. :/
dollieh pics|old dollieh rants|ALL NEW dollieh rants
OMG, I can't believe I'm almost 11 and still play with Barbie dolls! If anyone find out I'm gonna die!!!1!
- my diary, c. 1991

...How long has that "s" in my signature been missing? - me, 2016
Anderson'sAllPurpose
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Postby DollyKim » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 am

100 years ago the ancestors of our ball joints could walk, talk, crawl, and do other mechanical wonders thanks to toy designers who never played with dolls when they grew up. The designers who did gave us cuddly dolls and ones to dress up and play pretend with.

The book Made to Play House looks in to the history of doll culture in the western world and how dolls were social. Yeah there were eating disorders and good old fashioned hysteria but no one was saying Prissy Playpal was the root of women's evils.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby embyquinn » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:57 am

I wanted to like Lammily, truly I did. I'm ancient enough to remember the old "Happy to be Me" doll that came out 14509813274098 years ago (in doll years) and how that went over with a loud and dull thud...and I wanted Lammily to be more successful. I wanted it to be everything it promised--a fresh take on a fashion doll with realistic proportions and a positive body image and poseable like a real live girl.

I wanted to like Lammily.

I don't.

The doll isn't exactly ugly, but it's not very realistic either in proportions or presentation. The few real joints it has--mostly ankles and wrists--are frail and clunky-looking. The face looks every bit as vapid and soulless as any knockoff Barbie's ever did. And, oh, God, the elbows and knees. CLICK JOINTS?!?!?!? REALLY?!?!?!?!?!? I hate click joints with every fiber of my being and refuse to buy any doll that has them.

I'm very, very disappointed. Nothing against those who think Lammily is wonderful and the next best thing since saran hair, but, sadly, she's not for me.
"Dolls love to be played with. They are lonesome if you leave them always in a box. How would you like to be left day after day alone, with no one to love you?"
embyquinn
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kida_40061 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:47 pm

I have agree click joints are not best joints in the world, but I don't dislike them. I just don't like the limited range of movement they offer. Which is one reason, I am not interested in buying Lammily. I would prefer that she have ball joints, or the simple hinge joints over clicks joints and the peg joints. Often I find peg joints to quite thin on most modern dolls.

Another reason, that I am not is interested in her is her size. I tend to not like doll larger than nine inches, but there are a few exceptions. The reason is I have a personal preference that the doll is able to fit the palm of hand, because it easier for me to pose.

Also, I think she a little bit over priced compared to similar dolls that I have bought in the past who. Most dolls that I have bought for $25 or less have come with more clothes or accessories than Lammily does.

Those are the main reasons why I am not interested in her, but I don't think she is a bad doll.
kida_40061
Dolliehs? WHERE???

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'