Go to footer

I need some help.

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

I need some help.

Postby Swan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:09 am

I have posted a new thread on the dolliehs swap/sale area. Take a look. I will be posting here as long as I have a computer. After that, *shrug*. My partner lost her job.

See ya in the funny papers.

Swan
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
Swan
I snort dolliehs liek candi

Re: I need some help.

Postby Kirahfaye » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:11 am

Hugs to you Swan .... I pray that things get better for you both very quickly!
Dollieh Nirvana
Kirahfaye
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby Swan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:24 am

If I could get an online gig of any kind... phone work, writing, anything working from home, it would... but there's nothing out there as far as I can find.

Swan
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
Swan

Postby arrowchild » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 pm

*hugs*
I hope things start looking up for you Swan
arrowchild
the walls have dolliehs

Postby K2! » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:36 pm

You have mentioned that you have eye problems. Is there any sort of Social Security disability you could apply for?
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10052.pdf
http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/
K2!
Stoopid Noob

Postby Mary Kathryn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:51 am

((((hugs)))))

I wish I could offer some good advice. K2 is onto something maybe with disability.
Mary Kathryn
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Swan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:41 pm

UPDATE:

Well, I have SSDI, so that is something. Plus we just found out that the waiting lisat for "affordable housing" (rent is fixed at 30% of income) waiting list is 18 months *at least* BUT, our income is so low we qualify! SO all we have to do now is HANG ON for a year and a half..

That's gonna be the hard part. We will have to re-home our two dogs, but the group from whch we got them, 10 years ago (they are rescues) made us promise that should we ever be unable to care for them, they would take them back and find them foster homes. So that will work. After crunching the numbers, we will only have a monthly shortfall of around $400. That is basically our food. So if we can find food pantries, churches, make use of the senior feeding program and/or Meals On Wheels, we will survive.

Our landlord and landlady ADORE us... but *sigh* not enough to lower our rent... HOWEVER they DID allow us to renew our lease for the same rent we are paying. So at least we still have a roof over our heads for another year. After that, we'll see. The good thing is... we have a year in which to strip down to what we can carry. My goal is to be "movable with one pick up truck" meaning EVERYTHING not essential to life is OUTTA here. Furniture, clothing, photos, papers, boopsk, et cetera. I have to re-connect with my family (if I can ifnd them! Been outta touch for 45 years) and begin sending them the family stuff. We've bought some time (except for the food) and all we can do now is try like anything to find a job.

If we can't (we already know we DON'T qualify for SNAP) then I have a great idea for making $$$ to eat on. I'm gonna make a sign and go down to the Plaza. The sign will read ...
THE TRUTH - $5.00
DONATIONS WELCOME!

I'll see how much money I can raise with that! :D

Swan
Swan

Postby Eseme » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:26 am

If your income level has changed (which it sounds like it has) you may qualify for SNAP now. Definitely use the time you have to apply. Search out any and all food banks and churches, and public suppers and soup kitchens. My mom volunteers at the local soup kitchen, and while their food pantry is partially income qualified, the soup kitchen is not. Anyone can go in and get a free meal every weekday. They do not ask about income or residence.

I hope you do not need to give away your dolls, and can take down that thread. If you do end up needing to reduce your collection you can start a sales thread if needed.

Also look into storage. There are indoor climate controlled units, and while a large one is costly, something 5x5 with a 15 foot ceiling can be affordable and hold more stuff than you think.

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:33 am

Usually people on SSDI and similar programs don't qualify for government food assistance. You might be able to get rental assistance.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby Eseme » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:44 am

Wow, that is a depressing factoid about our government. However, many food banks and soup kitchens are non profit and do help as many as they can.

All the best, Swan.

Eseme
Eseme
the walls have dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'