Go to footer

How to make a doll photo studio?

General discussions about dolls, new releases, doll reviews...you know, stuff that doesn't really fit in all the other categories but is strictly about dolls.

Forum rules
    Opinions expressed within posts are those of the posting person alone and not that of the forum or the forum management. Forum management is not responsible for things people say...though we'll kick your butt if you don't play nice.

How to make a doll photo studio?

Postby DollyKim » Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:16 am

I need to photograph my 1/6 scale Barbie size hoard, I have an iPhone 13 pro and a ring light for it and would appreciate tips on putting together a simple space to get some nice pictures. And any tips for settings on the phone besides automatic, lol.

I will be able to set up on a table without interference and can use basic hand tools and a modest budget for backdrops. One set of pictures will be basic catalog shots to document what I have then I want to do some more formal portrait like ones of some of the dolls.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Re: How to make a doll photo studio?

Postby SetsunaKou » Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:04 am

If you have a large minky/velvet/cuddle blanket in a light color, that always makes an eyecatching plain solid background that keeps one's eyes on the doll(s) without distraction of busy backgrounds.

Also, slightly bend the doll forward at the hips/waist and have them looking down as much as possible. Then take slightly upwards photos which gives them the best angles and makes their proportions better in the camera. If you take just straight on, they usually end up looking too short legged. This camera angle 'trick' gives them back their proportions somehow. :)

For settings, instead of auto, I choose 'Portrait' for dolls and people. It kind of blurs the background but keeps the subject in focus. I don't know if you have that setting on a phone, though. Also, don't take photos at the highest size as that's usually too big for good internet viewing. I choose the small-medium option with highest quality, which actually ends up taking the best photos of dolls because it doesn't blur or 'expand' their small lines of the eyes and enlarge them. The small-medium resolution takes very large enough pics without blurring out.
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Kattriella » Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:42 pm

I've always used a white foam trifold background and a white poster board floor for my "i jusy want to show off the doll/outfit photos because I don't have anything else. I did make a floor out of both popsicle sticks and peel and stick wallpaper sheets before, if you're looking for interesting floor options.
Kattriella
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Jobee » Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:16 am

I use anything large enough in my fabric bin as a backdrop, and usually have a cardboard box under it to prop it up. I used to have a stiff piece of felt I used for everything, but since using fabric backdrops, my photo shoots look more diverse. Good on you for getting the ring light, those things are super handy!
Jobee
GIVE ME DOLLIEHS

Return to Board index

Return to Dollieh Talkin'