Go to footer

Do It Yourself Doll Heads

That is a dollieh?
OMG, THAT IS A DOLLIEHS? THOSE ARE ALL DOLLIEHS!

Re: Do It Yourself Doll Heads

Postby Trethowan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Bwaahaahaa.... Nice. The skull head isn't specifically for sculpting over. They have other, smoother products for that. I mean, you probably COULD with the skull head, but the jaw opens so that's probably going to be a serious issue.

Who is Bob?
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby arrowchild » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:17 am

lol okamikodomo!

i've thought about getting one of their bases to sculpt on before. I've actually taken some classes in BJD sculpting, and have made a few heads before, but I'll freely admit that I seem to lack the patience to do the entire head from scratch. I REALLY prefer working on a base so I can concentrate on the fun part :P
arrowchild
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:06 am

I take wads of paper, or styrofoam eggs or balls if you wish, and cover them with a thin layer of air dry, just roll them around in my wants then stick them on a thread holder or a stick to dry. Instant light weight base that can be hollowed out. Once dry you can put them in your parts box for use.

I've used everything from LaDoll to Paperclay to Prang DAP to paper mache mix for this stage and never had a problem with my choice of skin sticking.

If someone gets one of these please post pics, it's in the back of my mind to get one.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby OkamiKodomo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:42 pm

See if I ever made a base like that, I would probably start with a ball of Marblex air dry clay as a base, and use an Apoxie sculpt type skin, because Marblex is water-soluble, and Apoxie isn't, so I could dissolve the base right out, and then re-use the marblex
Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:57 pm

I'll have to look Marblex up, that might solve some of the issues I have making messes I call Roger.

The Apoxie can get heavy, some of my 1/6 heads get weighty if they have a lot of hair.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby OkamiKodomo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:17 pm

DollyKim wrote:I'll have to look Marblex up, that might solve some of the issues I have making messes I call Roger.

The Apoxie can get heavy, some of my 1/6 heads get weighty if they have a lot of hair.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco ... gray-clay/

It functions exactly like kiln-fire clay, and even has a similar smell. It's not ideal for mold-making pieces, as it can be rather gritty, but for armature, it's perfect. Just make sure there's space for water to get under the apoxie "skin" and that said skin is thick enough not to crumble when it's hollowed out (I've never worked with apoxie sculpt so I don't know how durable it is.

Should you actually want to make a doll with it, it can actually take details wonderfully, though. And giving it a very very THICK coat of some kind of water-proof sealant should make it fairly durable.

Too many dollies to list. Check my profile if you wanna know who's who!
OkamiKodomo
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Linteia » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:21 am

Trethowan wrote:Bwaahaahaa.... Nice. The skull head isn't specifically for sculpting over. They have other, smoother products for that. I mean, you probably COULD with the skull head, but the jaw opens so that's probably going to be a serious issue.

Who is Bob?

Bob is a character from Jim Butcher's series The Dresden Files. He's a perverted spirit trapped in a skull. He's amazing :)
Linteia
the walls have dolliehs

Postby kurosu.chan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:30 am

<3 Bob
kurosu.chan
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Trethowan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm going to have to add those books to my reading list. Sounds cool.
Trethowan
BD - Bachelors in Dollology

Postby DollyKim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:31 am

Apoxie Sculpt is quite hardy and water proof. Now saying that I've managed to break pieces and use boiling water to help soften it up a bit to cut it away after I made a goof. I've also been able to smash pieces with a hammer.

I would still recommend it, especially if you need something to hold fine details and textures or make things like fingers. It also works to fill in holes and put pieces together. If you can do a part of your project in about an hour it's worth trying out. Just use metal tools.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Misc Scale, Mixed Batches, Unique Materials