Go to footer

Anime styled dolls? Resin and vinyl mixes?

That is a dollieh?
OMG, THAT IS A DOLLIEHS? THOSE ARE ALL DOLLIEHS!

Anime styled dolls? Resin and vinyl mixes?

Postby Lily » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:16 am

I find myself craving an anime styled doll more and more, and although i was going to get no bjds for ages, my doll savings are creeping up...

I want something very trad-ish. HUUUGE eyes, TEENSY nose and mouth, curvy body.

I just really need suggestions on which dolls to save for. I am thinking that I might just have to bite the bullet and save for a dollfie dream, but I am a bit reluctant/scared/resistant to spend that much on a vinyl bjd - not that I think resin is a magical substance. I would just hate to spend that much money and end up with something irreparably stained, or something that has to live in a body stocking (really, Volks, you go on and on about how nice their vinyl feels, then tell us to cover it up or it will stain?) Especially as DDs don't come cheap when you're ordering from Australia. I would hate even more to end up with something broken.

Obitsu are an option, and at least you can get replacement parts for them, but their anime-styled faces look awfully young and childish to me. Maybe I'm wrong? I'd love to be proved wrong.

I am madly in love with SQ Labs heads, they are just precisely what I'm looking for, but I get the impression that they only go on/match well with DDs? Has anyone ever successfully put them on resin bodies? What would you need to do to mod them? Is the resin/vinyl mix weird?

And on that topic... I am charmed by the GliB Apple dolls from MuDoll, both the fullsets and the "My Apple" design-your-own options. But again, I'm wary about the resin/vinyl mix. Anyone know what they are like?
Lily
i see dead dolliehs

Re: Anime styled dolls? Resin and vinyl mixes?

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:42 am

I gotta ask you though, do you have a favorite character in mind? It might help since it gives you an idea of what appeals to you. I was surrounded by a bunch of doll friends with Dollfie Dreams and half the time I can't figure what I want since the sculpt didn't quite appeal to me in the way of not being familiar with character/ not quite my art style/ and not being able to see my character in the available sculpts.

Even after narrowing it down to sculpts that I actually liked somehow there's just something missing(Alna, Yuki Morikawa and Saber Lily). And then i got hit by a Parabox Megu and her resemblance to one of the version drawn of my fave character (oddly enough the same picture I took to Japan in hope of running into a doll there although Megu wasn't release then. I had even considered Alna and Yuki with this pic)

sample pic I took with me

What I end up with
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby Sixoclock » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 am

The SQ Lab heads were made to go on both DDs as well as Obitsu 50cm bodies. That said, you could certainly put them onto a resin body as well-- provided you had an S hook and maybe a washer (in case the fit is a little bit off).

Also, if there are any DD heads you like-- you can also put those on resin bodies or on Obitsu bodies. There are a lot of people out there that put Vinyl heads on resin bodies. It's not weird at all. :)
Sixoclock
the walls have dolliehs

Postby EAB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 am

Megu's head looks EXACTLY like that character. It's as if they created Megu with her in mind. You couldn't have a better match.
EAB
Dolliehs Consume My Brains

Postby Yanagi-sen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 am

Don't forget, the right face-up can totally change the look. Good examples are the various Gretel heads that Kiki-chan78 has done. You can always hybridize too. I wanted my Naoe Nagi (Schwarz member from Weiss Kreuz): cute, boy, big eyes... Kiki recommended an AoD boy body with a DZ Shoyo head. And it was a perfect suggestion.
Yanagi-sen
the walls have dolliehs

Postby Iwa_Hoshi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Yanagi-sen wrote:Don't forget, the right face-up can totally change the look. Good examples are the various Gretel heads that Kiki-chan78 has done. You can always hybridize too. I wanted my Naoe Nagi (Schwarz member from Weiss Kreuz): cute, boy, big eyes... Kiki recommended an AoD boy body with a DZ Shoyo head. And it was a perfect suggestion.

DZ Shoyo is very cute, she was one of the resin contenders along with AOD Lan and DOD-DOT's E-an
Team of Dolls Bio Team of Dolls on Flickr
Keeping an eye out for props for Dioramas
Iwa_Hoshi
MD - Master of Dollology

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Most of my 1/3 dolls are actually hybrids---either Volks DD heads on Obitsu 60cm bodies or Volks DD heads on ResinSoul resin bodies and my sister's are all Parabox Anime heads on either Obitsu, BBB or RS resin bodies as well. We have 26 Anime character 1/3 dolls, and ALL are hybrids. (Sailor Moon; Gundam Wing; Yu-Gi-Oh!; Harukanaru Toki no Naka De 1, 2, 3, 4; La Corda d'Oro 1, 2, 3)

They're also a good color match (Volks NS = Obitsu WS) or (Volks NS = RS/BBB NS). It works really well and can save you a bit, too, as many resin bodies are less costly than Obitsu 60cm or Volks DD bodies. ^^

You could easily put one of those SQ-Lab heads on a resin body, I'm sure!! They are gorgeous heads!! It would be hard to choose which one!! Like Iwa_Hoshi-san said, do you have a specific character in mind? Or any 'anime-style' girl would work?

I like the ResinSoul bodies best for the Anime characters, because the're so willowy and slender and really fit the style/look well with the long thin necks, slender waists and wrists, etc. I prefer the 'non-eyehole' heads for my anime characters so they can really look like them exactly, but I know most people like the 'eyehole' heads. I do love those as well, for realistic dolls, but for anime ones---I'm a handpainted eye fan.

Though I have done several anime style DD girls with eyehole heads for commissions and they ARE gorgeous, too!! :laughs:

But to the point, vinyl heads on resin bodies or vice versa, works really well if you get the right combination!!!
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby Lily » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:22 am

Yay, I knew the nice folks here would be really knowledgeable and helpful! Thank you so much!

* I am such a newbie to hybrids in general - each of my heads comes on the body I bought them with - and I really took as gospel the SQ-Labs information saying only DD and Obitsu 50cm. If it's really possible to do so, I'm going to go for an SQ labs head (just need to pick!) and a cheap resin body - I figure whiteskin in both would be easiest to blush to match. Vinyl bodies are so beautiful, but as I said, terrified of them.
* Mirodoll looks good - the Resinsoul bodies are lovely, but I have to admit, I want this one to be busty. And omg can't beat $130 for a 60cm. If it doesn't work, I'm sure I'll find another head for her.
* Resin bodies cheaper than vinyl - hahahaha. I know this to be true now, for many brands. But it was so unthinkable even a few years ago, when the vinyl bodies were sneered at as cheap options, that it still makes me blink.
* I really don't have a character in mind - funnily enough, I do have a doll of Anthy from Utena, and for her I picked a super-realistic mold as I wanted her to be "real" Anthy! I just want the general cliched anime look, as generic as a visual novel character. I always think it's super cute and pretty. At least when it's not in sex scenes.
* That Megu is just darling and precious, and really surreally looks like her character - but she's just not generic enough for what I want!
* I do not trust myself to paint eyes. :cry: Decals might work, but I'm sold on the resin anime-styled eyes.
* I still have me some saving to do, so I might put in an order for the obitsu 11cm bodies I want for my floating Brownie heads, and chuck in a 60-303 Head so I can practice anime-style faceups while I wait. :) Maybe one day she will get the right body and be Chibiusa.
Lily
i see dead dolliehs

Postby -T2P- » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm

I was recently bitten by the anime aesthetic bug as well!!! I ended up with two dollfie dreams and an obitsu 50cm and I love them! You really can't beat vinyl dolls when it comes to poseing.

Dollfie dreams have very beautiful bodies. For me, they are the epitome of anime proportioned bodies. They are very nicely sculpted and their faces are versatile. They can look cute or mature depending on face-up.

Here are my two DD girls Saki and San.

They are not as poseable as obitsu but their joints aren't as noticeable, so they look good in swimsuits and lingerie. If your patient, you can get good deals for DDII bodies on ebay and the DoA marketplace.

The limited edition character dolls that volks makes are often very expensive and become even more so on the secondary market. It's suggested if you like one of those girls your best bet is to buy her as fast as possible from volks to aviod second hand mark-up.

Your other vinyl option is obitsu/parabox. To me, Parabox's heads tend to be more into the cute range of anime faces. The obitsu bodies have very strong joints and are more poseable then the dollfie dream II body.

My Obitsu 50cm body with defualt head 'Michiko'

Parabox also makes vinyl heads with pre-printed decals for a very affordable price.

My Obitsu 50cm body with Pre-painted Q-chan head.
-T2P-
i see dead dolliehs

Postby Alopecia No Hime » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:33 am

Or if you really want the cutsie look you could go Obitsu 40cm with the Alice head (They have large bust now too) or the Princess heads. Both are very anime-like and as many have said face-up's change everything.

And I'm in agreement over the decals they're very cute. I personally love the animatic acrylics. My little boy Riven is getting the glib chara eyes (which are super cute). There's almost hundreds of options as far as the anime look goes. You could get a DD head and put it on an Obitsu body, or do almost anything. I say you can't go wrong with any of your choices or options. Plus it doesn't have to stop at Obitsu if you want a really posable body there's Hujoo Dana hybrids out too and she's pretty inexpensive as far as MSD's go..(In my opinion. *is always too broke and too tempted to save up for a big resin. Most expensive doll I own is a Dal.*)
Also T2P I love that pic of your parabox girl with your fennic fox. It's too cute for words.
~*~Storm Uchiha~*~
Alopecia No Hime
I have no life but dolliehs

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Misc Scale, Mixed Batches, Unique Materials